How to get consistent estrogen levels! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How to get consistent estrogen levels! How to get consistent estrogen levels!

Unread 02-06-2011, 02:49 PM
How to get consistent estrogen levels!

First post!
About 3 weeks post op and have been given 2mg progynova my form of HRT. I've noticed that I feel "normal" about half an hour after I take one 2mg pill, but about and hour or so later I start to feel headachey, grouchy, hot etc. I'm taking the pills sublingually but it seems as though there is a spike of estrogen after taking a dose but the effect wears off quickly. How long does it take to get a steady state serum level of estrogen in the bloodstream?

Would the patch be better? I've heard that transdermals provide much more consistent results? With the pills it seems that none of hormone is retained in the blood and that it quickly leaves the body? HELP!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-06-2011, 03:12 PM
Re: How to get consistent estrogen levels!

Hi
I've been using the Vivelle dot patch since my surgery 3 months ago. It's advertised as a continuous, sustained release of estradiol and that has been my experience with it so far. You might want to ask your doctor for some samples and see how you do.
Best wishes to you!
Unread 02-06-2011, 03:17 PM

Nice to hear you are getting results! How long did it take before you felt "normal" on a consistent basis? Week? two? Sorry for all the questions, I just wanna avoid as much trial and error as possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-06-2011, 03:20 PM

Hello! to HysterSisters!

Did your doctor or pharmacist tell you to take your pills sublingually or is that something you decided to do on your own? If you're taking the entire pill that way, you're more than likely getting a much higher dose than intended. When swallowed whole, much of the dose is lost in the digestive process, so to use it sublingually, your dose would need to be lower.

If your doctor or pharmacist haven't advised you to take the pill sublingually, you might try swallowing it whole and seeing how you do. It takes a while to adjust to any hormone therapy, so you'll want to give it at least several weeks before considering a change. You're early in recovery when the body is depleting the hormones the ovaries made. It's normal to experience hormone fluctuations during this time with or without ovaries, on or off hormone therapy.

You might find it helpful to keep a symptom journal while you're working to find hormone balance. It can be a valuable resource to share with your doctor at follow up appointments. It takes time and patience, so hang in there! Sometimes we have to try different hormone therapies before we find the right one, so keep that in mind, too.

I hope this helps!

Unread 02-06-2011, 03:35 PM

I've worn the patch since the recovery room after my surgery, so I think the effects were immediate. I had some emotional times early on when my body was using up whatever hormones I had left and I was recovering from the surgery. But, otherwise I've felt great. I haven't had a hot flash or night sweat since before the surgery.
Unread 02-06-2011, 03:46 PM

Thanks for the quick replies!

So, with the progynova I swallowed the pills to start with but noticed in the first ten days or so that I would get relief from symptoms within the first ten minutes or so of ingesting them but the relief would be even shorter lived than if I placed them under my tongue...so since then I've been taking the pill under my tongue.

I guess what I need to know is if the pills or any form of HRT are designed to "build up" in the blood stream or if they simply give temorary relief?
Unread 02-06-2011, 04:49 PM

I had the same response when taking 1 mg estradiol orally. It only helped for about 4 hours. Then i tried the patch and my body sucked all the estrogen out of it in 24 hrs. I am now on divigel since last July. It has built up in my system and i get a steady 24 hr dose of estrogen.

LSH 3/13/09
BSO 8/27/10
Unread 02-06-2011, 04:54 PM

That's interesting...so Divigel has a long half life? stays in system longer?
Unread 02-06-2011, 04:58 PM

I think you just need to find out what works best for you. When trying a new delivery system you are suppose to give it 6 weeks to see if your body adjusts.
Unread 02-08-2011, 01:23 PM

It takes a while to build up a good estrogen base in your body if you're deficient. I'd definitely talk to your dr if you think the pills are not working. And there is a HUGE difference between using the pills orally vs sublingually. For sublingual use, I believe the dose is about 10% of the the oral dose (as liver takes out up to 90%)... so you're likely overdosing with the sublingual use. Headaches are usually fluctuating estrogen level symptom.

There are so many options out there... ask your dr if he/she has samples if you don't think what you're using now is working. Keep a journal, and don't make more than one change at a time - try to stick with it for at least a month..

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register