have a date | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 11-14-2001, 05:47 PM
Have a date

Well I finally got my surgery date and I am going in on Dec. 13th, and I will be having my uterus and cervix removed and it is going to be a vaginal hysterectomy. Which from what I have been told is easier to heal from. Is that true? Also I wanted to know if the pain is about the same from either way you can have this done? I will supposively get to go home at the earliest Sat. latest Sunday. I am getting a little nervous about it. I go on Dec.6th for my pre op visit, to watch a video and sign papers and ask any questions. My biggest concern is I have read that your cervix is basically what holds up all your other organs well if mine is gone what happens then. How do they make sure my bladder and other organs stay where they belong? Also I wanted to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!!!!! Any advice or words of wisdom please don't hestiate to email me. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-14-2001, 07:08 PM
have a date

Thats great news tweety. Now you can look forward to healing .

I have heard that it is easier to heal from the vaginal rather than the abdominal hyster, there are now external incisions or stitches ( unless you have a lap. assisted one ) but there are still lots of internal stitches that must be given a chance to heal. I think the recommended time is 6 weeks .

As for the bladder and other organs staying put ,there is a procedure that is used to hold all this in place , I dont know what it is called , hopefully some one will. I think they use the same ligaments used to support the uterus .

Best of luck with it all and dont forget we are here for you. Posting in pre op maybe a good idea as well for you .

HAPPY THANKSGIVING

We dont have thanksgiving here , you have all the good things over there , you lucky ducks
Unread 11-14-2001, 08:05 PM
have a date

{{Tweety}}

I'm so glad to hear you've gotten your date. I bet you're ready to get it done and start the healing process.

I don't know how much the pain differs between the vaginal and abdominal, as Robyn mentioned, the internal work in both are pretty similiar. I do know as far as things staying where they should, I also had my cervix removed and haven't had any problems.

I wish you the best in your upcoming surgery and if there is anything we can share with you, please feel free to ask.

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

{{hugs}}

Vicki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-15-2001, 07:15 AM
have a date

Vaginal is an easier recovery because you don't have the external stitches to contend too, but the internal stitches are the same so the limitations must still be followed faithfully.
I had my uterus and cervix removed, and have noticed that I experience some pulling, but not pain at all. I just took for granted that this is due to the uterus not being there to hold things up like before. Your doc will probably ask you a lot of questions before surgery to determine if you will need a bladder sling or not. They can actually put some tacks in there to help the bladder stay up where it should be. Well, not REAL tacks!
Unread 12-12-2001, 12:06 PM
Surgery re sch.

Hello I just wanted to let everyone my surgery had to be backed up thanks to Dr. error. It is now Jan. 11,2002. I go for my pre-op visit on Jan.2,2002 which i want to go to but I just don't want to watch the video. I am one of those people that want to know whats going to happen but then again don't and I think that video will be too much info. for me. I am little nervous b/c I know it is only 3 weeks away. I am not really scared of the surgery it is the aftermath part. I have no pain (0%) tolerance........
Well that is all for now. I will keep in touch.

Unread 12-13-2001, 06:35 AM
have a date

Sorry to hear that surgery had to be postponed, but use the time wisely and figure it is for the best. Enjoy the holiday and be glad that you can get your place back to normal before your surgery. (decorations or what have you) As for the tape, if you don't want to watch it, then I would tell the doc/rn. There is no need to frighten yourself or get yourself so upset with unnecessary stress. Keep in touch and let us know how you made out.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register