Cervical Cancer | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cervical Cancer Cervical Cancer

Unread 11-15-2001, 05:44 AM
Cervical Cancer

My aunt went in for a pap last Thursday. The first one in many years. She had never had any female problems. When the pap came back, her dr called and said she MUST come in (yesterday) and not to miss it. It was URGENT. My aunt went in and they are sending everything for biopsy, but the dr said it was "past the pre-cancer" stage, that it was cancer all over her cervix and vaginal walls.

I am sure she is terrified and does not have access to a computer, thus can not sign on.

Can any of you inform her of what may lie ahead. I would like to send her this information.

Thank you!
Tammy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-15-2001, 07:28 AM
Cervical Cancer

That is so sweet of you to go searching for info since your Aunt doesn't have a computer. Look around the site and you will see many posts, or pull down menus that would benefit her if you printed them out. You might also want to go to www.webmd.com for medical explanations, and at the top of this forum there is a dictionary of terms that was put together here. I hope that all goes very well for you Aunt, and please tell her that the wait for surgery is the absolute worst part of it all. Tell her to have some chapstick, body lotion, stool softeners and Gas-X on hand for when she gets home from surgery. She will also want a "belly pillow" for the ride home from the hospital. (If you want an adorable Hystersisters one, they are for sale in the store and also double as a carry bag! They are really cute, but any small pillow will do.) Best of luck to her!!!!
Unread 11-15-2001, 07:10 PM
Cervical Cancer

Cyd had a great suggestion to print out any information here that you may find useful. There is also WebTV, should she want to be able to go to online support groups but not want to buy a computer.

I too, hadn't had a Pap in several years, and went in for one when I was having pain and bleeding during intercourse. They also told me to come in for the results right away, telling me that the doctor had to go out of town the day of my appointment set for a week later. I knew that was BS, and I knew they were going to tell me that it was cancer. I was lucky, in the end it was stage 1b and only needed surgery and radiation. You can bet that I am now a preacher for the annual Pap.

From my experience, the next step will probably be a CAT scan. She'll have to drink barium, but that's come a long way. They do give an iodine shot, provided that she has no allergic history to it. I can't tell you whether or not she will need a hyst. If my cancer had broken through the uterin wall, my cancer would have been inoperable. The absolute worst part is the stage that she is at right now, which is not knowing. It took 3 weeks from my biopsy to my stage 1b diagnosis, and it might as well been three years! They did put me on Zoloft, but this was at my boyfriends insistance because he could see what I was going through. It really helped me through that terrible time, as well as the post-op depression that sometimes follows (I had it!). So tell her to ask if she is handling it hard, and God bless you for being there for her. MD Anderson (mdanderson.com) is one of the leaders in cancer treatment and research, as well as, of course, the american cancer society.

PLEEEASE keep me posted on her condition. She is in my prayers. The best thing I can recommend is to just continue being there and cater to what she is feeling. Everyone reacts differently. She may or may not want to talk about it. She may want to read as much info as she can get her hands on, or she may not want any info. She may try to get her mind off of it by being busy, or it may be something she can't stop thinking about. She may start to "resent" healthy people. The best thing is to let her react however she reacts and don't let anyone push her to react any differently. No one can imagine what she is going through other than those who have been there. The world can change to you, and you can feel the most alone in a room filled with friends and family who care about you. It is also hard on family and friends. There are support groups for patients and those who care about them. Check to see what's in your area.

If she would like a pen pal, let me know. I'd be happy to. Just send me an email through my email button.

Good luck and God bless!

Steph

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register