HRT and Tanning?!? Is it safe? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

HRT and Tanning?!? Is it safe? HRT and Tanning?!? Is it safe?

Unread 02-15-2011, 01:43 PM
Talking - HRT and Tanning?!? Is it safe? HRT and Tanning?!? Is it safe?

Hello ladies,
I am new and I am not sure if I posted this in the correct area. I am on Premerin 0.45 once daily. I will be going on vacation in about a month to sunny florida and I am wondering if it is safe for me to tan? I had my hysto in 2007 and I avoid the sun for the most part. I have not tanned in a tanning bed and I head the warning on the bottle... I dive into the SPF and if I don't, I look like a lobster after a hour outside. I have read some get blothcy, I have not had this problem outdoors.... Have any of you tanned in a tanning bed on HRT? I have always been a ghost, but thanks to premerin I tan quickly and burn faster compared to before my surgery....
I was thinking about going for 2 or 3 minutes for a couple weeks before vacation.
Thank you for your help!!
Niecy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-15-2011, 04:41 PM
Re: HRT and Tanning?!? Is it safe?

Niecy,
No, it is not safe. Estrogen does make us more sun sensitive. I have found that I burn and freckle more easily since my surgery. I have read that using tanning beds is not much better.

Here's an old thread from our archives that you may find interesting https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...threadid=59427

Unread 02-21-2011, 01:35 AM

About 20 years ago I decided to try the tanning bed. I ended up with several large areas of darkened (brownish) skin. It was awful! I had to try to cover them with make-up, which was difficult to do. I haven't done any real "sunning" since then!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2011, 07:48 AM

Even if you were not on any form of HRT, tanning beds are never safe.

Quote:
The World Health Organization’s International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) announced today that it has moved UV tanning beds to its highest cancer risk category -- "carcinogenic to humans."

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-a...s-cause-cancer.
The tan you get in a tanning bed or from the sun is temporary, but the damage you can do to your skin is permanent. If you absolutely, positively need a tan, perhaps a tan from a bottle or spray on tan would be the best way to get one.
Unread 03-09-2011, 10:47 AM

If I am going to the beach, then I do go do some tanning, but am very careful. Otherwise, I am a lobster. I apply large amounts of sunscreen outside even if I have a little tan going. It's not good for you, so make sure you don't go for very long. How about a spray tan, then apply lots of spf while you at at the beach? I think the spray tans are looking better than they did.

Here is what NOT to do. When I first had my hysterectomy in 2000, I was trying the patch. I did go to the tanning salon, and the heat from the bed released ALL OF THE ESTROGEN AT ONCE! I was a miserable puppy for about a week. Felt like I was going to explode.
Unread 04-13-2013, 07:32 PM

I have been tanning the whole time since starting hrt, and I am fine,,,but I was tanning prior, and I am olive tone....
Unread 04-13-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannie_b View Post
I have been tanning the whole time since starting hrt, and I am fine,,,but I was tanning prior, and I am olive tone....
It is not a good idea. You may be fine now, but I would worry about the future.
Unread 04-14-2013, 12:00 AM

Tanning is not safe- period.
All the available research indicates that HRT increases the risks already inherent in tanning.
Self-tanners have gotten much, much better and a good moisturizer and broad spectrum sunscreen will help keep your skin looking good for a good long time.
Unread 04-14-2013, 06:45 AM

I was tanning in my tanning bed when my stitches were still in. I just covered them up. Was on shot then. Have also tanned on pill. I would mention to cover up your scars or use high SPF on them. They will be more sensitive and the sun makes them darker. I did read the patch will release more hormone if in sun, so I don't use it for that reason. I haven't had any problems and haven't noticed I'm more sensitive to the sun either. Enjoy your vacation and just start out slow like you would've before.
Unread 04-14-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliaDeLyon View Post
Tanning is not safe- period.
All the available research indicates that HRT increases the risks already inherent in tanning.
Self-tanners have gotten much, much better and a good moisturizer and broad spectrum sunscreen will help keep your skin looking good for a good long time.
I have to wonder if self tanners will eventually be problematic as well. All of us who use transdermal hormone application know that the skin is a great vehicle for delivery. What happens to all of those chemicals used on the skin when they disappear? I suspect they'll be building up in our tissues like many other toxic substances we unknowingly take in.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register