HRT and Tanning?!? Is it safe? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

HRT and Tanning?!? Is it safe? HRT and Tanning?!? Is it safe?

Unread 04-14-2013, 12:33 PM
Re: HRT and Tanning?!? Is it safe?

Honestly, I don't get the need for a tan. I've always been fair skinned, it is who I am. There is a gal that I used to work with, she was into tanning, when I saw her a few tears ago I was taken aback by how hold she looked. Her skin looked like leather. She looks 10-15 years older than she is, while I look ten years younger. Accept who you are and protect your skin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-14-2013, 01:48 PM

The risk of skin cancer is the same whether you tan on the beach or tan in a tanning both. It just isn't worth it.
Unread 04-14-2013, 03:23 PM
HRT and Tanning?!? Is it safe?

A good friend of mine used to go tanning in beds all the time, she quit going when she got diagnosed with skin cancer. :-(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2013, 07:20 AM

I am fairskinned and I have gone tanning when using Premarin.

It was mostly an experiment to see if I could raise my Vit D that way since taking high doses orally upsets my stomach. I never went more than 4 minutes. Never more than 3x a week. Never got burned. Covered my face and tattoo.

But the interesting note was for the first time in my life I actually got some color and did not look like a corpse. I think this was directly related to the Premarin. It was a cool experience in that aspect, but I didn't maintain it. Too expensive. I also noted I had more energy, was more up beat and felt firmer.

I'm pretty sure I didn't do any more damage than the terrible sunburns I got in my youth.

There are many that believe the increase in Vitamin D deficiencies seen is the constant use of sunscreen, combined with our being inside so much. I think whether tanning bed or the natural sun, it's a "too much" issue rather than none.

Since everyone on this site is presumably an adult, its again a personal choice. I personally don't think reasonable exposure is any worse health risk than the "doughnut and diet coke" another person might choose.
Unread 07-01-2013, 09:11 AM

I went on vacation in February, about three months after my hysterectomy, and was taking Premarin 1.25. I have fair skin and some freckles, but probably not as fair as you. I tanned for 8-15 minutes about 3 times/week for a couple weeks prior and didn't have a problem. I didn't think it was enough at first and jumped to 12 minutes the second time and got a bit burned. I went back to 8 and slowly increased to 15 and was fine. I don't think Premarin affected it at all. Everyone is different, so trust your own judgement.
Unread 07-01-2013, 12:26 PM

I would not want to intentionally do something that I knew would permanently damage my skin, accelerate aging, and put me at risk for skin cancer. My dermatologist says that any degree of suntan is an indication of significant UV damage. I am a caucasian woman with a pale, fair complexion and plan to keep it that way, in fact I have come to appreciate it. I always use a good physical sunscreen, seek the shade and wear a hat if I if I cannot avoid direct sunlight. For many centuries fair skin was in vogue and people went to great lengths to protect themselves from the sun; it was not until Coco Chanel fell asleep in the sun and stepped off the yacht looking very brown that the fashion changed. I hope to see the pendulum swing back for the sake of our skins. Be safe
Unread 07-02-2013, 12:14 PM

I agree with most of you on here, don't use a tanning bed. The rays are more direct so it is more dangerous than the real thing. As a cancer survivor I've done a lot of reading on different cancers and skin cancer is the easiest to avoid. I've also read reports that this theory of getting a starter tan is BS.
Use a broad spectrum sunscreen (UVA for aging and cancer, UVB for burns) and reapply every 2 hours. More than an SPF of 30 is a waste of money since they all only last about 2 hours.
Unread 07-02-2013, 01:11 PM

It is all individual, just like other diseases. That's why some people get skin cancers on places that have never seen the sun. Some people are in the sun year after year and never get any form of skin cancer.

I personally disagree about complete avoidance of sun and constant use of sunscreens. I think being in the sun long enough for your body to produce Vitamin D is the way nature intended.
Unread 07-02-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6andcounting View Post
It is all individual, just like other diseases. That's why some people get skin cancers on places that have never seen the sun. Some people are in the sun year after year and never get any form of skin cancer.

I personally disagree about complete avoidance of sun and constant use of sunscreens. I think being in the sun long enough for your body to produce Vitamin D is the way nature intended.
And some people who have smoked all their lives never get lung cancer. That's no reason to say it's okay to smoke. Those sunburns of your youth may still turn into skin cancer. It can take years to develop.

I wouldn't encourage anyone to use a tanning bed or to sit in the sun for more than 20 minutes.
Unread 07-03-2013, 06:42 AM

Right, that's a reason to say its a personal decision. I agree that the sunburns of our youth causes cancer. And I don't think that can be undone.

No one has proven to me that 3-4 mins in a tanning bed a couple of times a week is any more detrimental than 15-20 mins in the sun. I just don't know if it will make your body produce Vitamin D.

Our society these days, including drs, seems to have developed "all or nothing" mentality. In all the studies it's people (whether in tanning beds or natural) that overdo. Day after day of baking.

I don't think using the smoking analogy makes sense. We don't "need" to smoke. We, as well as the whole planet, need the sun.

The answer to the original question of whether HRT makes tanning beds any less safe is "no" it doesn't.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register