Depo shot? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-18-2011, 09:55 AM
Depo shot?

My doctor wants to give me a Depo shot to combat the hot flashes immediately following my TAH-BOS. However I feel "weird" when I have tried other hormone therapy(trying to avoid a hyster)...so does anyone have advice on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2011, 02:39 PM
Re: Depo shot?

Hi "depo" is a method of delivering the medication, not the medication itself. Was the injection your doctor wants to give you depo estradiol, depo testadiol, depo provera, etc? It makes a huge difference which one it is.

Also, how a given medication will affect you now is really not related to how it affected you before your ovaries were removed. You are now deficient in all three major hormones, and if the injection replaces one or more of them it may in fact feel good to you now, whereas before it might have resulted in symptoms from too-high levels.

I would also ask your doctor what the longer term plan is for dealing with your symptoms, if they continue. Depending on what the injection contains it may not be good for longer term use; for example, Provera is now linked to a slight increase in breast cancer rates so you probably would not want to use that in the long term, the exception being if you had a history of endometriosis or certain types of cancers, in which case Provera can help suppress those in the future.

s,
-Linda
Unread 09-12-2012, 01:18 PM

Can someone please tell me if this medication is still legal? My gyne will NOT give it to me. Does anyone know a doctor that will give this shot? I'm newly married (for the first time)and would like to have my sex drive back. This is a nightmare.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-12-2012, 08:22 PM

It is legal, but it is a controlled substance, and it is only FDA approved for men. It is prescribed "off label" for women by some doctors, but that is totally up to the doctor. Most women can get the same results from a compounded testosterone cream, and you might have better luck finding a DR who will prescribe that - though it, too, is controlled and only FDA approved for men.

(((hugs))),
-Linda
Unread 09-14-2012, 12:42 PM

Thanks for the reply. It's so nice to finally talk to someone who knows the answers and is willing to tell them to me. Do you mind answering a few more things?

1) What is a DR?
2) Why is the FDA no longer approving it for women?
3) How do I find a doctor willing to prescribe the depo or the cream?
4) I've never had a hot flash. I tried prempro for one month, but it did absolutely nothing for me. I felt no different. Does it help anything besides hot flashes?
5) have you heard the commercials for Amberen? Can that really help with weight gain? If so, why didn't prempro?
6) I purchased some Androgel. It also did absolutely nothing. None of the threatened side effects of hair growth or acne either. My doctor said my 'receptors' are not working. Do you know if I combine Androgel and Prempro, will that do anything?
7) Do you know if there is any access to depo or the cream in Canada?

I hope you don't mind so many questions. I'm desperate to lose some weight and regain my sex drive.
Thank you in advance for all of your help.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register