Hormone Options?? New member ~ Surgery 3/9 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hormone Options?? New member ~ Surgery 3/9 Hormone Options?? New member ~ Surgery 3/9

Unread 02-22-2011, 04:06 PM
Hormone Options?? New member ~ Surgery 3/9

Hello! I just found this forum yesterday and I am so glad. I am have a DiVinci assisted hysterectomy on March 9th and will not be able to keep either of my ovaries. I am SUPER confused on the hormone options available. I am 37 years old and do have high blood pressure, which is under control with medication. I was told that when I come out of surgery they will put a patch on me.

Can anyone tell me exactly what the options are? Or the risks/benefits? I am not opposed to taking something but the side effects worry me. Do they totally get rid of your libido? Mood swings? HELP!

Denise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2011, 10:29 AM
Re: Hormone Options?? New member ~ Surgery 3/9

Hi Denise, I am having an tvh on march 9th as well. I am trying to educate myself on all this but i believe when it comes down to it every body is different and reacts differently. I will be working closely with my dr to alleviate any neg symptoms i may have. Am a little worried about the hot flashes and insomnia.. hopefully i wont have much..
Unread 02-23-2011, 12:11 PM

It seems soooooo overwhelming to get it under control from what I am reading. I am just hoping that the side effects of the hormones is not going to be like jumping from the frying pan to the fire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2011, 05:24 PM

and

We have lots of good articles at www.hormonejungle.com I would suggest that you read through them. They are all printable so you can print out the ones that interest you to discuss with your doctor.

I've been on hormones for 11+ years now. Doing well
Unread 02-24-2011, 06:33 AM

Hello, I am 39 yrs old had my hyst last May. I did not want hormone replacement but finally my Dr talked me into it last month. I started on the generic Climara...horrible it would not stick and was rather big. I switched to the Vivelle dot and it is wonderful.

Check with your insurance because they can be expensive. Good luck to you and your surgery. I had the Davinci also best thing I ever did.
Unread 02-24-2011, 07:07 AM

Thank you! I am going to look into it today and check with my insurance. I appreciate it. :-)
Unread 02-24-2011, 07:08 PM

I am 34 years old and scheduled for LAVH with BSO for March 28. I am, like you, very overwhelmed!! I am not concerned as much about hot flashes, it's the decrease libido and mood swings that terrify me! I am reading the book that you can order from the store here title, Sudden Menopause. It is helpful, but reading about all the possible side effects from menopause can make it even more scarier! My doctor wants me to be hormone free for the first 4-6 weeks post op. Good Luck to you!
Unread 02-24-2011, 08:58 PM

My doctor recommended the Vivelle dot patch and I'm thankful that she did. The hospital only had the Climara patch which they put on me in the recovery room. It was big and didn't stick very well. When it was time to change it, I started on the Vivelle dot and I love it. It's small, it stays on with no problems even in water. In the 4 months since my surgery, I haven't had any symptoms of surgical menopause that I've read about. I sleep well with no hot flashes, my libido is better than ever, no mood swings, no dry skin or hair loss, etc.
I wish you well with your upcoming surgery and recovery!
Unread 02-25-2011, 09:13 AM

I think I might be feeling hopeful now that this won't be terrible. I was really down about it last night. I am the most worried about the mood swings and decreased libido. My doctor said there is a possibility that he could leave one of my ovaries but he said in my last surgery that my left is worse than my right and my right is the one that hurts all the time. I definitely don't want that one!! I am wondering if most continue with their OB/GYN for the hormone issue or their family doctor. I really like my family doctor and I am thinking I might make an appt. with him a head of time to discuss also....... I am just so glad I found this group!! :-)
Unread 02-25-2011, 09:42 AM

Hi!

My experience has been that my mood is on an even keel post-op whereas before my TAH/BSO, it was anything but level. (My family would wholeheartedly agree!)

If you're not a candidate to keep your ovaries, all hope is not lost. It is possible to find hormone balance but you'll need a good doctor to partner with you in that quest. I do still see my ob/gyn for my well woman checkups and for my hormone therapy. He has always been willing to work with me on finding what is right for me. Not all women have that experience and it's important to be able to accept that for what it is and move on, if necessary. Find a doctor you're comfortable with and go from there. I think discussing your concerns with your family doctor ahead of time is a good idea. You'll know if that doctor is willing to help with the hormone needs of a woman in surgical menopause. Be sure to ask if the doctor is willing to prescribe testosterone if you need it post-op, since decreased libido is one of your concerns.

Best wishes for your surgery and recovery!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register