Do You Have To Wear Hospital Gown? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Do You Have To Wear Hospital Gown? Do You Have To Wear Hospital Gown?

Unread 02-23-2011, 09:41 AM
Do You Have To Wear Hospital Gown?

Will the hospital let you wear a nightshirt after the hysterectomy or must you wear that awful hospital gown?

I realize pajamas might be a no-no since nurse/doctor needs easy access to incision, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2011, 09:43 AM
Re: Do You Have To Wear Hospital Gown?

I put on PJ's the day after surgery. I had abdominal cut.
Unread 02-23-2011, 09:52 AM

You can put on your own clothes after the surgery but I just stayed in the gown...my IV stayed in for 4 days so couldn't change eventhough I would have liked to. I was told I was allowed to wear what I wanted after the surgery during my pre-op.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2011, 09:57 AM

Thanks for the quick replies. That's interesting that you can wear pajamas or anything else you choose. Will have to remember to ask when I go for pre-op testing. It's possible that every hospital has their own rules.
Unread 02-23-2011, 09:59 AM

Honestly, you aren't going to care what you are wearing. LOL. The hospital gowns are just easier for the IV,cathedar, using the bathroom and the walking around. Wear the panties they give you as well. Much kinder to the belly. I took a robe, but it just didn't make any sense to wear it in the hall. They rigged up a second gown in reverse for modesty.

I did request to get out of the plastic lined, warmer surgery gown and into a cloth one though. I was cooking in the other one

I put on makeup when I woke the next morning, mouth washed and spit into the bed pan, changing into my velvet comfie pants only when it was time to leave.
Unread 02-23-2011, 10:07 AM

I was told I had to wear a nightie not pjs but like you said every hospital would have their own rules. Oh and I agree about wearing the mesh panties they give you. I got a couple extra sets when I left and wore them for quite a while after (if I was wearing panties). I had a vertical incision and those were the kindest as there was no elastic or anything to irritate it.
Unread 02-23-2011, 11:47 AM

Best to wear the gown, it just makes life easier. With the IV and getting up to bathroom after catheter I'd out. You really wont care what you are wearing.
Unread 02-23-2011, 12:41 PM

I was happy to be in the hospital gown (IV gown with snaps in the shoulders) as I had lots of N&V (nausea & vomiting) - hospital can do the laundry. I took my own housecoat for having over my shoulders once I was allowed up in a chair and walking with my friend Ivy (IV pole) I would not have wanted to be in my own things that were soaked in puke and no place to put them but in a white plastic hospital bag in my room

& blessings
Unread 02-23-2011, 12:42 PM

I hate the gown so as soon as I got in my room I asked to put on my sports bra and tshirt. I think it depends on which nurse you get. My nurse was nice and laid back. She unhooked my iv and helped me into my stuff then just rehooked the iv back up. I was naked from the waist down due to the evil catheter. I asked to get rid of the catheter that afternoon and once that was out, I was in my pajama pants for the rest of my stay.

I say, if you are feeling good, ask.
Unread 02-23-2011, 01:25 PM

I put pajamas on the day after surgery--and I had to keep the catheter in. I just pulled the catheter tubing through my pj pants and it worked. Later, I switched to a leg bag during the day (since I had to go home with the catheter) and that worked, too. Good luck to you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register