OMG extensive bowel prep!! how was everyones bowel prep??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

OMG extensive bowel prep!! how was everyones bowel prep??? OMG extensive bowel prep!! how was everyones bowel prep???

Unread 02-24-2011, 12:31 AM
OMG extensive bowel prep!! how was everyones bowel prep???

Hello sisters,

I'm due to go in hospital soon for keyhole surgery to remove severe adhesions but my biggest worry is this darn bowel prep, I have to be on a liquid only diet 48 hours before surgery and then in hospital the night before surgery I have to have more bowel prep stuff and then the morning of surgery I have to have more bowel prep stuff I'm so scared and anxious about this. Wots everyones story?? How does it make u feel?? Weak?? Thanks ladies for reading and any replies I may get.

Hugs,

Vicky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2011, 03:35 PM
Re: OMG extensive bowel prep!! how was everyones bowel prep???

I am sorry you are scared but your doctor has deemed that the bowel prep is necessary for your surgery. If you have questions or concerns, you need to check with your doctor.

Yes, you likely will feel weak and wiped out. I did when I had to do a bowel prep that included two days of liquid diet and prep. Drinking Gatorade can help keep your electrolytes up and "eating" Jello Jigglers can help (you may need to avoid red colors depending on your specific instructions).

Stressing out will only make you feel worse so take a deep breath and try to relax. You shouldn't plan to be too active for the two days but you should make it fine.

S
Unread 02-24-2011, 10:18 PM

It wasn't all that bad----I've done 3. I look at it this way---people pay big bucks to fancy spas for "cleansing juice diets" and "purifying bowel cleanses" and they talk about how "light and detoxed" they feel. It's all in the frame of mind I guess. So although it's not my idea of fun, I try to look at it in as positive way as I can to help me get through it. The spa idea helps me, hope it helps you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2011, 10:59 PM

I like that idea,greyown. I have had multiple bowel preps and they really aren't too bad. I found that if I had broth ready it helped a lot. and also Gatordade but I had to be careful of which one I used. Hope this helps some.
Unread 02-25-2011, 02:12 AM

Thank u so much ladies for your replies. You always make me feel more relaxed and better about things.

Weiser ...... Wot sort of liquid things were u allowed to drink? And was your bowel prep for adhesion surgery? How soon after all that do your bowels get back to normal? Thank you so much for your time in replying to me.

Greyown...... Sounds like a good idea and I never thought of it like that before lol. Thanks for making me see it like that.

Zenyatta...... Wot sort of bowel prep did u have? How did it make u feel? Thanks for your timen in replying to me.

Sending hugs to u all

Vicky
Unread 02-25-2011, 04:45 AM

Hi Vicky,

Best of luck today!!!! So sorry to hear about those stupid adhesions!!!! It sounds like you & I have those in common

I have had six surgeries, and all of them have included bowel prep. Blech! None of them were fun, but I only had one that was down right terrible! The worst one was for my laparotomy in '08...liquid died for 48hrs, then the "jug of crap" AND antibiotics while I was drinking, and after. O...M...G. I wish they would have put me in the hospital! I was sooooooo sick!

I'm glad you're at the hospital. That way, they can keep your fluids monitored and can take good care of you!!!! Keep us posted on how things go!

~ Karen
Unread 02-25-2011, 08:38 AM

Hi karen thanks for your reply, u sound like you have been through it the same as me. I have had 4 surgerys but never had an extensive bowel prep like this one. I too have to have liquid diet for 48hours before op then more stuff at the hosp. Omg it made u sick? Do u think it will make me sick then? I really hate bein sick and can't bear the thought of that happening thanks again for your reply. Sending hugs,

Vicky
Unread 02-25-2011, 11:36 AM

Vicky,
Just because something made one person sick does not mean it will make you sick also. We are all different. There is no way we can know if if something will make *you* sick. Sometimes if we think something will happen than it does. Try and not think the worst and find ways to destress and relax. FYI, that jug of stuff makes me sick, but I have a friend who drinks it with no problem at all. I think it is a plus that you will be at the hospital. They can monitor you and help you through.
Unread 02-25-2011, 12:47 PM

I had the most extensive bowel prep before my first colonoscopy which included two days of liquid diet and phoso soda on three different days. For my adhesion surgery involving my bowels, I had a one day liquid diet, phoso soda, and pills to take that same day, nothing on the day of surgery. For my adhesion surgery, it took a few days to feel normal again but I was right back on Miralax.

The phoso soda does make me sick to my stomach as does several other liquid preps for a variety of tests.

I was allowed to drink and eat pretty much everything on a typical clear liquid diet list: Gatorade, water, juice with no pulp, chicken broth, beef broth, beef consomme (which I preferred), black tea or coffee, plain gelatin. I was not allowed to have anything red or purple for any of my preps because of bowel involvement.

If your doctor did not give you a list of what you can/cannot have, check the Mayo Clinic site for some tips. They even include a menu of sorts.

s
Unread 02-25-2011, 02:50 PM

Vicky, no honey, I think you will be fine! The difference between that particular prep vs all of the others was the fact that I had to take two different antiboitics while doing the prep. Taking those powerful meds on an empty stomach did me in. All of the others - while not very pleasant - weren't too terrible.

(((hugs!))) Hope things went okay today.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register