Scheduled dVH/RALH Bowel prep today. Ugh. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bowel prep today.  Ugh. Bowel prep today. Ugh.

Unread 02-24-2011, 12:04 PM
Bowel prep today. Ugh.

My surgery is set for 7:30 tomorrow morning. Today is bowel prep. I started with 2 Dulcolax last night and then this morning I had to mix a bottle of Miralax into a gallon of Gatorade. I drink 8 oz every 15 minutes. Sheesh. Along with taking 4 antibiotic pills. (which are supposed to be taken with food, only I can't eat food)

I've had several people tell me that they started vomiting from the bowel prep. I asked my doc about that he said that isn't the norm and it isn't the goal. They want it to come out the OTHER end. sigh. So far no real nausea, but my tummy is definitely sick of Gatorade! I only have about 16 more oz, so only 2 more glasses to go.

I am drinking from a straw because I can get more at a time that way. I don't like Gatorade. Never have. I told the nurse that and she basically said "Oh. Sorry." LOL So I'm thinking the straw helps me chug without tasting it so much. And my timer goes off every 15 minutes.

Does anyone else feel a little weirded out by the fact that we're basically overdosing on Miralax? That bottle said 14 doses...and I'm taking it in 2 hours??

I've heard several times that this is the worst part of the process. I was a nervous wreck and had a bit of an anxiety attack last night. I'm doing a bit better this morning, but not looking forward to what is to come for the rest of the day!!

OOH, and did I mention that I'm on my period right now, too? And I can't take anything for it today? yeeeahhhh, my AF isn't going down with a fight. But that's ok, I'll have the last word!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2011, 12:55 PM
Re: Bowel prep today. Ugh.

Hi Crewchief,

I too am scheduled for dvh/RALH tomorrow at 7:30! I am doing my bowel prep but I only have to drink 1 10 oz bottle of magnesium citrate. Not so bad. I can also have liquid like foods, smoothies, apple sauce soup, etc... My stomach is a little upset but not too bad. Good luck to you tomorrow!

Best,
Unread 02-24-2011, 01:07 PM

Oooh food! I'm somewhat jealous. Only clear liquids for me today. And nothing red, orange, or purple.

Good luck to you too! See you in the recovery thread!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2011, 01:09 PM

Why nothing with color?? just curious?
Unread 02-24-2011, 01:11 PM

I have no idea. I'm assuming it is something about changing the color of the stool so one can tell if there is blood present?? However, the fact that I am on my period would hide any blood in the stool anyway, as I'm already bleeding like a stuck pig. LOL
Unread 02-24-2011, 01:17 PM

That sucks! I just had my last period a week ago! This whole situation really sucks!
Unread 02-24-2011, 01:21 PM

My period wasn't supposed to start until today, but it came a few days early. Which means that today is rough in that regard already.

I'm doing ok so far, though. I haven't had the cramping and nausea that I expected.

I could use a nap, but I'm not sure I could actually sleep at this point, what with the bathroom trips every 5-10 minutes. LOL
Unread 02-24-2011, 01:32 PM

Would you be able to work through the pep?
Unread 02-24-2011, 01:54 PM

My doc told me to take the day off. I am literally in the bathroom every 5-10 minutes right now. So I'd say no.
Unread 02-24-2011, 04:44 PM

good luck tomorow crewchief!! Bowel prep for me wasnt too bad. 8oz's every 15 mins. My prescription was called "golightly"...very funny!! Tasted like salty lemon water.....i used cold water and chug it all at one time....standing at the sink just in case. Drank ALLLLL of the powdered mix, which was about 2 liters or more. Was told to drink enough until i "passed clear"...but drank all of it so there was no excuse for the surgery not to happen the next morning.
After finishing the prep, i had nothing by mouth until after surgery. Not even water.
And yes...that was the worst part of the pre-op part.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register