hospital stay?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

hospital stay?? hospital stay??

Unread 02-26-2011, 11:58 PM
hospital stay??

Every post I have read women are staying at least one night. My dr. says its a same day surgery and they will send me home unless I can't control my pain. Did anyone else go home the same day?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2011, 12:53 AM
Re: hospital stay??

We had considered sending me home the same day, but I was vomiting so they kept me overnight after all.
Unread 02-27-2011, 12:53 AM

i have read of a few folks going home the same day, mine was called day surgery but the plan was to keep me over night

did you ask doctor how long he expects you to stay after the surgery, my plan was to have surgery in a.m and stay the night and be let out the next a.m. and still be called day surgery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2011, 05:40 AM

My surgery is expected to be outpatient as well. It really depends on the type of surgery and even where you live. Hospital stays in the US are much less common for certain things that they were elsewhere.
Unread 02-27-2011, 10:59 AM

I am surprised to hear that your doctor is treating your procedure as an outpatient procedure. What procedure(s) are being performed?

I had my TAH/BSO last Wednesday on the 23rd, stayed overnight, and felt well enough to return home the night of the 24th.

Can I ask what type of anesthesia will be administered during the procedure?

Much Love,
A.
Unread 02-27-2011, 01:32 PM

I have a TAH on March 3rd and my doctor said I would be out probably on Sunday.
Unread 02-27-2011, 01:51 PM

Karmagl -

Have your Dr. explain to you what he / she means by same day surgery. Technically you can spend 1 night in a hospital and have it still be considered same day surgery as long as you are discharged with 24 hours of being placed in your room.

You are correct that some drs do same day where you go home a couple of hours after the surgery. This is usually for laproscopic surgeries where the cervix is not removed.

Talk with you Dr.

'
G
Unread 02-27-2011, 01:53 PM

A, mine was dVH/BSO. I can't imagine going home the same day for some of the more difficult procedures.
Unread 02-27-2011, 02:04 PM

I think this really depends on the type of hysterectomy one is having. For instance, I'm having a TAH and have been told that I will stay in the hospital at least two nights. However, if I were having a laproscopic hysterectomy I would only have to stay 24 hours.
Good luck and best wishes!
Unread 02-27-2011, 04:05 PM

I had a LAVH/BSO and did indeed go home the same day as my surgery, as was the plan. I was told I needed to hit three checkpoints before I would be released: empty my bladder on my own, hold down liquids, and have my pain managed orally. Unfortunately for me, they never got my pain under control (not even by IV, let alone orally), but at a certain point I figured that if I was going to be miserable and uncomfortable at the hospital, I might as well be miserable and uncomfortable at home in my own bed, so they just went ahead and sent me home as scheduled.

I know it's scary to think about such a major (to us) surgery being considered outpatient, and I was definitely worried that I was going to be "kicked out" before I was ready, but please believe that they won't send you home before they know that you can handle it and that you'll be okay. And, for me, I was much happier once I was back home, in familiar surroundings and my own comfy bed, with less noise and hustle and bustle and no bright lights and other annoying stuff like that.

I'm sure everything will work out great for you in the end, and I wish you absolute smooth sailing through your surgery and recovery!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register