Scheduled TAH Upstairs, Downstairs? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upstairs, Downstairs? Upstairs, Downstairs?

Unread 03-07-2011, 03:51 PM
Upstairs, Downstairs?

Finally got my surgery date. Ack. So now a whole new flood of questions in my mind. I have read about getting the area you'll stay in "ready." My bedroom is upstairs, kitchen downstairs; so wondering how hard the stairs will be to manage. I'm prepared to go slow. I'd really rather not be stuck downstairs, but if I must, it's not impossible. I live by myself; but have lots of wonderful friends who I'm sure will help. Do you think setting up upstairs will be workable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2011, 04:03 PM
Re: Upstairs, Downstairs?

I think it depends on how much you have done and what restrictions your dr gives. Definetly something to ask at your pre-op. I have the same house set up as you. I choose the downstairs as I learned from a previous surgery, I got wiped out easy climbing them. I think the first week post-op I went upstairs once a day to shower and I needed a nap when I was done. I am starting week 4 and only go up 3-5 times a day now. My recliner is so much more comfortable after surgery then the bed. Hope that helps and good luck to you!
Unread 03-07-2011, 04:10 PM

Thanks Michelle. I am having an abdominal hysterectomy, jury is still out on the ovaries. The most comfy chair in the house is in my bedroom too. Perhaps it will be just as well to have the temptations of the kitchen be hard work-lol. I will definitely put it on the list of questions to ask pre-op; but the voice of experience may be wiser than that of my young doctor, so I'm very interested in your real life advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2011, 04:15 PM

I have the same setup. I am hoping to stay downstairs except at night. My recliner is comfy and I can have hubby help me up and down the stairs and then I will stay resting! I am going to have all my dvd's ready and of course Netflix and my laptop (on a tray of course, no way it's gonna sit on my lap!) I hope this will work for me.
Unread 03-07-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjan View Post
Thanks Michelle. I am having an abdominal hysterectomy, jury is still out on the ovaries. The most comfy chair in the house is in my bedroom too. Perhaps it will be just as well to have the temptations of the kitchen be hard work-lol. I will definitely put it on the list of questions to ask pre-op; but the voice of experience may be wiser than that of my young doctor, so I'm very interested in your real life advice.
If you are having an abdominal hysterectomy, using the stairs may be prohibited. Ask your doctor. Also, you will be really tired and achy. Going up the stairs will be hard. And you need to be closer to food and drink. You have to eat.

I'd suggest relocating downstairs until you are sure stairs wont' be a problem.
Unread 03-07-2011, 06:00 PM

I had mine abdominally and was told I could go up and down stairs once a day. I learned on here that going down stairs backwards is easier (it really is) and going up I took one step at a time. I went up at night and then came down in the morning and stayed downstairs until bedtime.

I have an upstairs and a downstairs bathroom, if I didn't I think I would spend the most time on the same floor as the bathroom - those visits tend to be more urgent than food no matter how hungry I am!
Unread 03-07-2011, 06:06 PM

I am having TAH and my dr said stairs were fine as long as you take it slow. I have the same setup and plan on sleeping upstairs. If it's too much going upstairs I will stay down instead. I plan to see how I am. With my other surgeries I was fine with stairs.
Unread 03-07-2011, 06:30 PM

Hi iamjan! I had a LAVH-BSO and I can tell you from my experience & Dr's orders that I was unable to climb stairs for a while. If you have a bathroom downstairs and your comfy chair could be moved downstairs that may be your best option especially since you live alone. I would recommend asking one of your close friends if they could stay with you for at least a few days also. It's nice to have a helping hand and a shoulder to lean on if necessary.
God Bless You!
Unread 03-07-2011, 06:46 PM

I had a SAH and live in a tri-level house (bedrooms up 11 stairs, kitchen/dining on the entry level and den down 4 stairs). I was in the castle for 3 nights due to running a fever. While going up and down stairs was not fun, and I didn't do it unnecessarily, I really didn't have problems with it. I had someone with me most of the time for the first 2 weeks at home. This was in case I needed some help with something. While I rested most of the time in my upstairs bedroom, I came downstairs for all meals (which my dh and/or dd had prepared). As long as your doctor says it is okay and you are careful, it can certainly be done.
Unread 03-07-2011, 10:04 PM

My set up is similar to yours. My bed and bath are upstairs, kitchen downstairs. At first I was worried about managing the stairs. I even considered purchasing a refrigerator and a microwave for my bedroom but am glad I didn't. When I got home from having my TAH, I took the stairs very slowly. I feel also that the support from my abdominal binder made this even more easier. I also kept nonperishable stuff in my bedroom such as granola bars, crackers, jello, etc. In 2 weeks I was going up and down the stairs without difficulty, always holding on to the railing. By the way, my doctor was okay with me taking the stairs, advising me to navigate them very carefully. Good luck.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register