Help!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-09-2011, 10:30 PM
Question - Help!! Help!!

I already had a hysterectomy (Dec 2009) but they left 1 ovary, I am about to have the other one removed in just 2 weeks and I am worried about how I am going to feel after I wake up! I am pretty sure that I will be staying atleast a night at the castle but I'm worried about (1)hormones and (2) how this may affect my marriage (it is already on the precipice of the rocks)
PLEASE if any of you WONDERFUL women can give me some help in these areas that would be the best!!!!!!!!

~Jane~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2011, 10:49 PM
Re: Help!!

Hi Jane, My name is Lisa. I'm 46 and just had a TAH three weeks ago. The hormone question was huge for me, especially since I had everything taken out. I went to my library and took out several books. Two that I loved and got tons of info from are Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom, By Christiane Northrop and Is it Hot in Here or is it Just Me. I liked them so much I bought my own copies for a buck or two on a site called half.com. Northrup's book especially helps and covers just about every women's issue you can think of. As far as how it will impact your marriage, I'm not sure if you're talking about the sex or how your moods/personality will be. I'm only three weeks post-op so sex hasn't entered the picture yet. One thing I'll warn you about is that a lot of women say they have no interest in sex after the surgery. But, know this...I've read a lot of stories about women who say it's better than ever. I really believe that you're attitude and beliefs can effect the outcome too. Don't assume it will be awful for you just because other women are saying that. And if it is, there are options with meds/HRT that you can talk to your doc about. Look...obviously you need this surgery for a reason. Your husband needs to be supportive of that and see you through the tough times. Maybe it would be helpful to include him in dr. appointments/discussions/decisions, if you aren't already. I encourage you to read, ask Q's and relax. Wishing you the very best.

Lisa
Unread 03-10-2011, 12:48 PM

Hi Jane

I had my second ovary removed along with uterus about 8 weeks ago.

Do you have plans to start HRT afterwards? I had to take HRT before my op to "support" the one ovary I had left, and I have carried on with this after. I was still very worried about noticing a massive estrogen drop straight after surgery but it wasn't as sudden as I feared. By my 6 week check, I felt that my estrogen was getting too low and hot flushes had started getting really bothersome. Gyno was happy for me to up the dose and has encouraged me to fiddle with the dose till I feel good. I've only been on the increased dose a couple of weeks but I do feel better - although it does seem that as my activity level gets back to normal I feel it slipping again, and so I may need to up it again at some point but trying to give it a bit longer before I make another change. The hormone thing is difficult but I think what I am trying to say is it's not as frantic as I feared it would be if that makes sense.

With your marriage is it sex drive you are worried about post op? Like Lisa says I wouldn't assume you will have a problem. I would talk to your gyno about this - ask him a few "what if?" questions and see what he would suggest. Sometimes just knowing that there is a plan in place in case you come across these problems is good reassurance.
Wishing you all the best x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2011, 03:06 PM

I am planning to start HRT after, and have been researching on that. I have also been finding and reading EVERYTHING that I can get my hands on, I'm glad to find that some of the issues involved with surgical menopause I have already gone through, like the emotional side effects and I have had hot flashes and moodiness. I am just having a hard time deciding what HRT to go with or if I wanna try BHRT. (Side note I just got the call that my surgery is on the 28th of this month)
And with my husband it is my emotions. It actually has nothing to do with our sex life. It is a lot of emotional things that me and him have been going through, as much as I love him and have never wanted to be away from him for more than a few hrs, now I don't know if I want to be with him and I am afraid that I will make a rash decision after the flux in hormones before I find what I need to balance me, whether HRT or BHRT or something else.
I haven't been on hormones as of yet and the fact that I am already having the symptoms that I am having, worries me....
Unread 03-10-2011, 03:37 PM

If it's any help Jane, I found having one ovary that wasn't working properly was far more distressing than the hormone balancing post op. Coping with a dodgy hormone cycle before I started the HRT meant my emotions were all over the place. The hormones may not be quite sorted for me yet, but at least they are more steady. I hope it works out like that for you too, and maybe some of your symptoms are as much from the fluctuations as anything else. Try and keep positive. Your relationship may well improve when the stress of all this eases.

Hugs to you
Unread 03-17-2011, 12:03 PM

Hi Jane. I'd like to add my two cents to the wise advice given by the other sisters. This concerns the state of your marriage. I'm guessing there's something else going on beside your health challenge. Whether or not that's the case, may I suggest the two of you speak with a counselor (or clergy, etc.). Go by yourself if hubby won't join you. Working with the right person will help you clarify issues and develop appropriate plans, which in turn will boost your confidence during this difficult time and beyond. I speak from experience and wish you all the best.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register