Generic estriodol patch vs Vivelle dot | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Generic estriodol patch vs Vivelle dot Generic estriodol patch vs Vivelle dot

Unread 03-16-2011, 08:52 AM
Generic estriodol patch vs Vivelle dot

Hi...I am two weeks post op (TLH BSO), 46 yrs old, was having perimenopause symptoms prior to surgery. Since surgery, no major menopause symptoms - increasing night sweats and some moodiness. Doc and I decided on bioidentical patch for HRT, she prescribed Climara before my surgery so I would have it as soon as needed. Pharmacy gave me generic (insurance requirement I am sure). Looked online, biggest complaint on generic is size. Started researching Vivelle DOT. Anyone use both? Pros or cons to either or both? Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thinking of asking Doc to prescribe Vivelle DOT no generic substitute if I can get it past insurance.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-16-2011, 11:37 AM
Re: Generic estriodol patch vs Vivelle dot

Hi

Generic and name brand estradiol patches both contain the exact same hormones....bio-identical estradiol.

The Vivelle Dot is changed twice a week. This helps some women who have skin irritations due to the adhesive. You can (and should) place the patch in a different spot each time, alternating sides.

The Climara and the generic are both one week patches. The generic is larger and slightly thicker. The adhesives used are also different and some women who can't tolerate the generic adhesive find that they can tolerate the name brand. The thickness of the patch makes a big difference to some women.

Many women happily use the generic patch and have no problems with it at all. The brand names are more expensive and usually have a larger co-pay with insurance.

Hope this helped. Let us know what you decide.

Kay
Unread 03-16-2011, 09:46 PM
Re: Generic estriodol patch vs Vivelle dot

Hi Karen. I started on the generic Climara, 1st reaction was you want me to wear this coaster? LOL. But was willing to give it a whirl. Didn't work for me...didn't stay on and when I did get it to stay I ended up having a reaction to the adhesive. Now on Vivelle dot, much better staying on no adhesive issues. I have a friend that uses generic Climara and has for years, never had an issue. Good luck with your decision. Kathy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register