How do you cope with hot flashes? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How do you cope with hot flashes? How do you cope with hot flashes?

Unread 03-20-2011, 12:50 PM
How do you cope with hot flashes?

We'd love to hear from our members about hot flashes.

What are your best suggestions for dealing with hot flashes? Have you had any strange or funny experiences in dealing with them?

My favorite recollection is the time I put on my hot pink flip-flops and stood outside in six inches of snow to cool off. (It helped!)

What about you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2011, 01:03 PM
Re: How do you cope with hot flashes?

Ha! I remember in the early days sticking my head in the freezer. Yes, I opened the door, found an empty spot and stuck my head in there. It felt soooo good.

One of the things I did was to dress in layers. This way I could shed some clothing when I got too hot. I also bought a small battery operated mini fan to keep in my purse. That little fan was a life saver.

For the night sweats, I would sleep in a light cotton t-shirt. Had a fan blowing by the bed and kept some ice water nearby. If I woke up and was soaked, I would not hesitate to get up and change underwear and t-shirts. A fresh set of "dry" clothing does help.
Unread 03-20-2011, 01:11 PM

I had a little battery portable fan, too. Remote control fan aimed at the bed. Item similar to the Chillow (but I can't find its name anymore). And those scarf-like cool tie around your neck or head things. Wore flip flops all year if it was above 40 degrees. Mister thing for misting face and neck when at home. And sleeping on towels. Yes, I had years of hot flashes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2011, 11:00 AM

Right now I am having a lot of trouble with my hot flashes. I did buy a mini fan for $2 at Rite Aid that helps alot but other than that, Im still looking too.
Unread 03-27-2011, 11:31 AM

In the evenings when start getting them I fix me a choc or straw shake, it helps me stay cool for a few hrs. I know that weight wise I won't be able to keep this up. I'll have to find a low fat substitute
Unread 04-04-2011, 12:55 PM

I am having such a hard time with night sweats/hot flashes. I am definitely going to the dollar store and see if I can find a portable hand fan for starters.

I was reading about keeping a diary of my symptoms and I also read about perhaps the connection with certain foods and avoidance.

Has anyone avoided certain foods? Has it made a difference?

TIA!
Unread 04-04-2011, 01:07 PM

Hot or spicy foods were a trigger. I already don't drink alcohol so I don't know about that one. Avoiding other foods wasn't helpful for me personally but I've tried avoiding caffeine and sugar, also meat.
Unread 04-04-2011, 01:48 PM

I enjoy my cup or two of tea every morning. So giving up caffeine could be a challenge. As for hot foot, I'm not a huge spicy person. Never thought of meat?
Unread 04-05-2011, 02:44 PM

What I've noticed has helped with my
hot flashes apart from my small fan is to carry a frozen bottle of water everywhere. As it thaws throughout the day I can either drink the icy water or put the bottle on my neck to help cool me off. I heard also vitamin e is also helpful but I need to run that by my gyn onc at my next weeks appt.

I used to get so irritated each time they would come but now I'm learning that staying calm and knowing they will go away soon helps. Even in sunny south Florida weather.

I hope you can find what works best for you.
Unread 04-05-2011, 03:16 PM

Our news had a story yesterday about acupuncture. Supposedly it reduces/stops menopausal symptoms.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register