Surgery Tomorrow and I'm A Mess Today! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery Tomorrow and I'm A Mess Today! Surgery Tomorrow and I'm A Mess Today!

Unread 03-21-2011, 07:55 AM
Surgery Tomorrow and I'm A Mess Today!

Having my TAH tomorrow and I'm really a mess today. My nerves are really shot. Started my liquid diet and decided I don't like Jello. Had never had it before. Also have to drink my bowel prep concoction in about an hour and then it's funtime! Woke up to 4+ inches of snow and it's still falling. Forecast says it will change to rain later. Tonight/tomorrow supposed to be ok but then Wed & Thur more sleet, snow, ice. Good chance my hubby won't be able to visit on Wed & Thur since hospital is 45 min. away from home. Won't be happy about that but hubby's safety on road comes first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2011, 08:09 AM
Re: Surgery Tomorrow and I'm A Mess Today!

Waiting is the hardest part to this, just try to stay busy today. Pretty soon you'll be on this side. When they put the iv in tell them your nervous and they will give you something to calm you. I'm sorry dh can't visit you, I live in snow country too. My best advice is follow dr's post-op instructions you only have one chance to heal right. Just listen to your body it will let you know if your doing to much. Good luck
Unread 03-21-2011, 08:41 AM

Noodles I too am going to the castle tomorrow. My nerves are starting kick in as well! I just had my doctor prescribed light breakfast and I don't start my prep until 3:00 p.m!!! Hang in there!! I had a meltdown yesterday and cried on and off all day, so today I feel better. I will be thinking of you tomorrow!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2011, 08:59 AM

You are in the home stretch now, almost there. I found that figuring how to stay hydrated and not hungry, plus the bowel prep, distracted me. But I was still a nervous wreck. Maybe you can pack and do last minute cleaning. But pre op they were so nice to me, and afterwards it had all gone so well----I thought, all that worrying, for this? So be sure to stay hydrated today, and hang in there. Best wishes for an easy surgery and speedy recovery.
Unread 03-21-2011, 10:25 AM

I'm starting my drink in an hour - its mixed up and in the fridge - if you have it with a straw I hear it is easier to get down that way. I'm starting to get pretty darn nervous myself. I've been up since 6am which is unusual for me. I had last minute work to finish (booooooo). Dreading the first sip of stuff.

we GOTTA stay hydrated. I hate needles and If I'm not hydrated they won't hit my vein !!!! yikes. drink drink drink drink !!!!
Unread 03-21-2011, 11:32 AM

I drank mine with a straw. The 1st several glasses I drank without any problems. I only had to drink 1/2 of the drink. Do you have to drink all of it? Towards the end I was having a hard time getting it down. I was also cold after drinking it. I just put a sweater on and stayed close to the bathroom.

I honestly think I was more nervous about the bowel prep than my surgery.

I hope your surgery goes well and you have a speedy recovery!
Unread 03-21-2011, 11:57 AM

I am going to the Castle at 5:30 tomorrow morn. My nerves have calmed a bit. I really like the Hospital I am going to and I got to meet my nurse and that helped a ton. I am however struggling with my prep. I don't know what you all had to take but I had to drink 20 oz. of juice with magnesium Citrate.
I don't like sour things and this taste like sour lemon drop.

It will all be fine. This place is the greatest form of support that I have found. Just keep telling yourself how much better you will feel when it is all over.

Thinking about all of the princesses going in today and tomorrow!

Good Luck!!
Unread 03-21-2011, 01:59 PM

Good luck ladies!

I had a hard time with the Go Lightly drink stuff too. I added the lemon packet it came with and two more crystal light lemonade mixes. It didn't help a whole lot. I kept it in the 'fridge to keep it cold and poured it into a cup so I could see progress. I was supposed to finish it in 2 hours but my doc said if I don't to just hurry up and finish as closely as I could. All in all it took me 2.5 hours. Have some tucks pads and preparation H on hand because I don't know about you but my butt was sooooo sore I had to send my hubby out to get me that stuff! LOL. The tucks pads burned but I knew I needed the soreness to go down because I certainly didn't need any extra pain worries after surgery. Haha.

Just keep chugging along. I found using a straw placed far back on the right side of my tongue helped lessen the taste. Dunno why but I couldn't handle it on the left side. LOL. I could NOT drink it without a straw because I couldn't handle the taste on my lips!

I know how nervous you are! TRUST ME, I'm only a week out! But it will all be okay. It helped me to think about and to KNOW how MANY women had gone through this before me and been okay...

Love and prayers to all of you!
Unread 03-21-2011, 03:00 PM

I only had to drink 1 bottle of magnesium citrate at 10am this morning. It hit me about 1-1/2 hours later. Wonder how many more times I'll have to be in bathroom. I bought the cherry flavor and didn't find it too horrible. The liquid diet is killing me -- I'm SO hungry and every commercial on TV is about food!!

Just got my call from hospital -- have to be there 9:30am and surgery will start at approx. 11:45am....depending upon when doctor finishes his 1st surgery. Would have preferred to have it earlier but I have no control over that.
Unread 03-21-2011, 03:04 PM

Mine is next Monday. No bowel prep, but I am gonna eat light over the weekend. I am a nervous wreck! Don't know why, I am not usually like this, although I haven't had surgery other than on my eyes and ears. Maybe it's cause it's more of a major thing, I dunno.

I keep telling myself it's ok, just breathe lol...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register