new here....question on HRT - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

new here....question on HRT new here....question on HRT

Unread 04-05-2011, 08:12 PM
Re: new here....question on HRT

I am 3 weeks post surg. My dr. Likes to wait 6 weeks before starting hrt so I feel like I am a walking time bomb! I have been walking everyday and so far so good, I think everybody responds different so for now we wait! Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2011, 08:33 PM
Smile - new here....question on HRT Re: new here....question on HRT

Thanks so much everyone for your responses! It really does help to hear what other women have decided and gone through. I met with my doctor today and she told me that she highly recommends that I start on the patch right away in recovery. I asked her what she thought about me just trying it for a while without anything and then if its not working to start the patch then. She smiled at me and said I can do whatever I am comfortable with but then we both laughed and I said..."but you don't think its a good idea, right?" She said that is the case. I figure I still have a few weeks to think about it. I'm not sure why I'm struggling so much with it. I guess I've just never been big on taking any kind of medication...I don't like to be tied down I guess. lol
Anyway, I really do appreciate everyone's help!
Unread 04-06-2011, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkt3 View Post
Thanks so much everyone for your responses! It really does help to hear what other women have decided and gone through. I met with my doctor today and she told me that she highly recommends that I start on the patch right away in recovery. I asked her what she thought about me just trying it for a while without anything and then if its not working to start the patch then. She smiled at me and said I can do whatever I am comfortable with but then we both laughed and I said..."but you don't think its a good idea, right?" She said that is the case. I figure I still have a few weeks to think about it. I'm not sure why I'm struggling so much with it. I guess I've just never been big on taking any kind of medication...I don't like to be tied down I guess. lol
Anyway, I really do appreciate everyone's help!
I understand where you're coming from with not liking to take medication. I'm the same way. But the patch isn't medication, it's replacement. It's a bioidentical estrogen which is replacing *some* of what your ovaries have been making before they are removed. Your bones, brain, heart, urinary tract, vagina, skin, etc. benefit from estrogen.
Just wanted to clarify.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-06-2011, 04:23 PM

Lovebirds....
That is a very good way to think about it. Thank you!

karen
Unread 04-07-2011, 04:18 PM

I am 46 years old and had my hysterectomy Nov. 2010, I was able to keep one ovary with the hopes of not having to do HRT, and quite determined I could tuff it out with the best of them. My dr also said I was too young to be in menapause yet, but I'm here to say that if I could do it all over again, I would defintely push the issue to start HRt immediately. I am completely miserable at this point in my life and are struggling trying to find the right combination that will work for me. If you decide to wait, as I have, just be prepared. Good luck! I hope everything goes well for you.
Unread 04-08-2011, 07:07 AM

You saved one ovary too huh? I had my hysterectomy in 2009 and only now are my estrogen levels falling. I haven't gotten to the miserable stage yet, just noticing changes in my mind and creakiness in my body. Ok, from what everyone has said it sounds that the benefits of taking HRT really outweigh my fear of the negative affects it may have on me. I'll cross my fingers and keep chugging on! Thank you
Unread 04-08-2011, 10:50 AM

So I saw my doc today and she understands my concern about more meds...so I get to try acupuncture first. Heard some had good results. Lets hope I Do too
Unread 04-17-2011, 03:44 PM

Hi!
I just wanted to add to this forum that there are more than two ways of HRT. (with "estrogen" or without). I put estrogen in quotation marks b/c pharmacutical estrogen is not identical to our estrogen. Our estrogens contain many important componants while pharmaceutical ones like Premarin are made up of 48% estrone (natural to humans) and 52% horse estrogens (natural to . . . horses). None of them carry estriol which is an important componant in our own estrogen that is cancer fighting.
So, I personally don't want to take anything extraced from horse urine.
gkt3, I am reading a really good book called "Natural Women, Natural Menopause" that lays out an all natural plan to make sure our body gets the hormones it still needs but through our diets and herbs. One of the herbs was already mentioned, Remifemin which is derived from black cohosh root.
I'm 1/3 of the way through and I know that this is the way for me to go so I thought I'd put it out there for the rest of you too!
Unread 04-17-2011, 05:50 PM

Thanks Zoe33! I'll check that out. I've also been reading some books. One of them is Screaming to be Heard by Dr. Elizabeth Vliet. I have to say its incredibly informative!!! She goes into great detail explaining the differences between the hormone therapies. I sometimes have some sensitivities to soy so I have to be careful but I'm definitely looking into the true natural replacements as well. I had no idea prior to reading this book how important an role estrogen plays in our lives. She also has another book called Women, Weight and Hormones. I have only glanced at that one but looks like it has some good information as well. I just feel so much more comfortable about my options now. Everyone here has been so helpful and these books have been wonderful too.
Thanks again!

Th
Unread 04-17-2011, 08:19 PM

I started with HRT the day after my hyst. At first it seemed that I needed a higher dose of Vivelle because I still had lots of hot flashes and had trouble sleeping. After a few months things seemed to be more stable and I was ok with the dose. However, it isn't just the hot flashes that are better. It's also your skin and the possible dryness that you would have to deal with. I also feel I have so much more energy now (compared to before the hyst). I am running several times a week, am not as irritable and have lost weight. Overall I feel so much better! I know I will slowly decrease the HRT dosage, starting at age 50 orso. Right now I am 47 and had my hyst just 11 months ago. No rush yet.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register