How am I going to pay for this? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How am I going to pay for this? How am I going to pay for this?

Unread 11-21-2001, 03:20 PM
How am I going to pay for this?

Help! When I was diagnosed with cervical cancer, I had no insurance. I tried to apply for State assistance bofore my op, but the way they did it, I was $300 over the yearly income limit for the state to pay for everything. I was working part-time doing hair, and just happened to have a few really good weeks of commission pay (they take your last 4 weeks, then multiply it by twelve, but had they actually taken the last 12 months, I WOULD HAVE qualified). Since my op, since I have been out of work, I now qualify and at least my radiation is being paid for, but I need to know if anyone out there knows of any programs or other avenues that could help me pay for my surgery. I do not qualify for medicaid. For medicaid I have to either be over 65, or have children, or be disabled for at least ONE YEAR! I've looked all over the internet, but have found nothing. If anyone has any advice, I would apreciate it VERY MUCH.

p.s. If you live in Florida and don't have insurance for whatever reason, DON'T GET SICK!

Steph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-22-2001, 01:41 AM

Oh Steph!!
So sorry for all that you are going through with your medical coverage. I am in Canada and we don't have to deal with insurance companies here at all for surgery etc, so I will be of no help to you at all I am afraid.

I am so glad to hear your radiation treatments will be covered, and please do keep us posted on how you are doing with them. We have lots of ladies here who have undergone radiation as well.

All the best to you Steph!!
Hugs
Maria
Unread 11-22-2001, 09:01 AM
Talk to the hospital and doctor

They NEVER advertise this, but all hospitals are required by law to do a percentage of "charity cases" What this means to you is that if you fall through the cracks, which you seem to do, they will write off all or part of the bill. The doc may not be the same story, but his bill will be the small part. Call your hospitals social services department, and make an appointment. They will put you in touch with the right folks as well as let you know of other options that may be available to you.

Maggie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-22-2001, 02:41 PM

HI Steph... Check with your local chapter of the "american cancer society"... There is a few things that they do... for instance I had to drive 60 miles round trip to my radiation treatments.. and they reimbursed me 12 cents a mile for all my trips... It is not much but I know that every little bit helps... They also have other services but that is the one that applied to me... they usually have a toll free number... just call and talk to them... they will be able to give you a list of services...
Unread 11-22-2001, 02:50 PM

To add a little to Maggie's suggestion, absolutely, call the social services department or just the billing area (who can put you in touch with the right people at the hospital). My sister had several thousand dollars in medical bills when she had no insurance and couldn't quite qualify for Medicaid. She had to fill out some paperwork, but the hospital released her from her bill. So please look into it and get that stress off of your back! Insurance! Can't deal with it, can't deal without it.
Unread 11-23-2001, 10:34 PM

I just wanted to reassure you of what the other ladies have told you. I worked in a hospital taking care of ins and getting people on Medical Assistance. The hospital had a lot of Charity Cases, so don't feel like you are the only one. If they want to be paid, then they will HELP you to get them paid!
Unread 11-24-2001, 08:55 PM

Thank you for your suggestions. I know there are programs out there, but no one wants to tell you about them. I will try the American Cancer Society. I tried them online, but that didn't get me anywhere. I'll keep at it. Thanks for your help and support.

Steph

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register