SAH Hospital Stay the Worst | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hospital Stay the Worst Hospital Stay the Worst

Unread 04-16-2011, 08:14 PM
Hospital Stay the Worst

Hello, I'm seeing from other posts that my horrible experience with my hospital stay is not unique. It is imperative that the hospitals are made aware of this or nothing will change.
I won't detail all of it but here are a few stand-outs that added to my stress level during this already stressful experience:
It began when I begged for 3 hours to multiple nurses and PCT's and anyone in a uniform that came into the room(after surgery and recovery and being put in my room) for a drinking straw. All I wanted was a sip of water, as the ice chips they had brought me had melted. Unfortunately, I had sent my support home as it had been an early morning as we had to be there by 5:30am for a 7:30am surgery so I was at the hospital staff's mercy. And they could have cared less that my throat was on fire.
Once off the catheter on the day after surgery it would take an hour to get someone in to unplug me so I could go to the bathroom on my own. My DR came mid-afternoon, understood my frustration and had me taken off of everything external, which included the morphine pump. Freedom was worth the pain.
Two nights in the hospital were more then enough, especially considering the day team was the same each day. The night and overnight teams were super, I only wish I could have stayed awake to enjoy their superior level of care. I was grateful to be discharged and as a last injustice the nurse left the used needle and supplies from my last belly shot on the bed tray, next to my uneaten breakfast.
The hospital called to check on me on Friday, and I was able to give them an earful names and all. There were good things to share (which I did) as I did not want to come across as negative on all counts, that certainly was not the case. Unfortunately the lack of care during the day shift was enough to make this surgery high on my list of "bad life experiences".
I'm glad to be home and able to recover with no external, uncontrollable stresses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2011, 11:12 PM
Re: Hospital Stay the Worst

I am so sorry that you had a bad experience with the day staff. I was very fortunate with my hospital stay but know this isn't always the case everywhere. You should write the hospital administrator with your complaints. When you are at the mercy of someone who doesn't help you, it's definitely time to call someone on the carpet.
Unread 04-17-2011, 11:37 AM

My surgery was Monday night. The daytime staff couldn't have been nicer. But, the night staff was so horrible I'm still having nightmares about them. I cried pretty much non-stop all night and begged them for help which they ignored.

45 minutes to get ice chips when I was practically choking from thrist, an hour to get pain meds, 2 hours for help to the bathroom, 45 mins when I was puking and when the nurse finally showed up, she refused to take the full vomit bucket off my stomach and I couldn't reach anywhere to put it down so had to keep it there for another 2 hours til I could get someone to take it off me, and several other issues.

In addition, the nurses were NASTY -- I'd buzz and they'd pretty much ask what the **** was my problem. Really, I don't know that anyone has ever been so flat out mean to me in my life. When the nurse showed up at one point and informed me that I could only have my meds if I asked for them (and then waited an hour to get them and an hour for them to kick in which she didn't tell me), I asked her when I was due again for meds and she snapped "look at the clock". Um, I don't know when I got them last and I don't know how often I get them and I'm not wearing contacts so I can barely see the clock and I just had god**** surgery so could you please just tell me the answer?

My friend has an infant and couldn't stay with me that night, but I spent the whole time on the phone weeping to my sister.

I told my doc in the morning and he was horrified and immediately went out and hauled in the nurse manager. She had me write out a full complaint and I think my doc will force her to do something.

Seriously, I think have PTSD from that night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2011, 01:49 PM

OMG, I'm so sorry for your experience. The PTSD comment is right on. I still get upset when I think of being in the hospital.

Thankfully my DBF came and sat with me on the full day I was there and helped me with lunch, going to the bathroom and taking a walk to ease the gas pains. He stayed with me until the horrific day shift left.

The person who made the follow-up call from the hospital was surprised at "how upset I was getting" as I shared my complaints. No ****, the experience of a hysterectomy was emotional enough without adding to it the negligent treatmemnt from the day shift.
Unread 04-17-2011, 02:13 PM

ShatziLKF- I seriously sympathize about your hosptal stay - mine was a nightmare. Not only did they wipe up a spill on the floorr, then wipe my tray table with the same towel, a nurse told my sister that I was pathetic because I wasn't getting around as well - sorry, I had a LAVH, tumor removal and bladder repair, thank you very much! An aid took all my clothes off to give me a bath leaving me exposed - and got yelled at by a dr. stopping by to check on me. I begged for pain meds for almost an hour, then was scolded by my nurse since she had to use the bathroom first! Now I'm scared. I reported all of this to the CEO of the hospital and major meetings were held on my behalf - now I'm going in again tomorrow and if I'm on the same floor - oh brother. As if surgery isn't scary enough, I have to contend with these people. Oh well, it's too late now to back. SURGERY is at 9 a.m., have to be there by 7 a.m. Good Luck to any else going in for repair (this one's a new cystocele) Old Chick
Unread 04-17-2011, 06:32 PM

Can you be put on a different floor after your procedure? Perhaps your DR can insist?

I know my Dad was in and out of the hospital years ago and found a whole different experience on a different floor- he once threatened to jump off the gurnee if the elevator opened on the wrong floor, lol. Unfortunately I know after a procedure you won't be up for threats.

Good luck to you!
Unread 04-17-2011, 07:28 PM

Try to bring a friend of family member with you to stay with you as much as possible and make sure your doc knows. The nurses will be on their best behavior, I'm sure!

It sucks to lie there helpless and afraid to ask the person whose job it is to help you.
Unread 04-17-2011, 08:12 PM

Before your surgery, ask your doctor to intervene and get you on a different floor. Tell him/her that you had a bad experience, complained about the floor staff, and fear reprisal if you end up on the same floor.
Unread 04-17-2011, 08:30 PM

Actually feel sick to my stomach reading on here what some of you had to deal with post-op. How horrific! I am so sorry for you all that had to deal with such poor treatment. I pray that those people get dealt with before they make too many more people completely miserable.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register