severe displasia / cervical cancer?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

severe displasia / cervical cancer?? severe displasia / cervical cancer??

Unread 11-25-2001, 10:19 AM
severe displasia / cervical cancer??

I am new to this, so please bare with me. I am now 31 years old. At the end of August, I went for my yearly check-up, and I had an abnormal PAP (my first abnormality). My gyno suggested I have a colposcopy to investigate further.

At that appointment, the doctor took 12 biopsies from several different areas of my cervix. The result was something called "Severe dysplasia/Carcinoma in situ".

The doctor (gyno) the suggested a procedure called the LEEP (Loop Electrosurgical Excision Procedure) to remove these areas of abnormalities.

Of course, the pathology of the removed tissue indicated "Micro-clusters" of the beginning stages of cervical cancer. My gyno then refered me to a "Gyno Oncologist", whom I went to see.

Upon his examination, he concluded that the way the Micro-clusters were "scattered" throughout my cervix, (and also the the scrapings from surrounding tissue of my uterus tested positive as well), the only way to be sure was to perform a full hysterectomy. He also informed me that due to my age (31) and the fact I was single, he had to offer me the option of going every three months for a full scraping of the uterus and cervix, with no guarantee of removing all the cancer cells. But, if I was post-menopausal or already had children, I would not have the choice.

I have until December 03, 2001 to give him my decision. AT that point, I should be healed enough fromthe last procedure to perform the next surgery.

I can only say that now that I know I have this "cancer" inside me, growing everyday, I want it gone, and will do whatever it takes to get it completely out of me. My decision is for the hysterectomy. The doctor also said that my ovaries can be saved, and will not be removed so that I will not need Hormone replacement therapy.

I've spoken to frinds of mine that have gone through this, but no one is telling me what to expect afterwards during my recovery. I never saw myself with children, so that will not be so bad for me, but I'm not going to lie and say I'm not scared.

I'm looking for somebody to lt me know what to expect Physically after the surgery. Also, Should I keep the ovaries???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-25-2001, 11:27 AM

Hi Moe!
I won't be of much help to you, but I did want to welcome you to Hyster Sisters, and the Cancer Concerns forum.
It sounds as though these abnormal cells have been caught very early and its great that your doctor sent you to see an oncologist as this is their speciality.

From what I have read here it seems if the ovaries are healthy and functioning its always best to keep them when possible and with your young age you will probably do just fine with keeping them.

We have several ladies here who have been through displasia and carcinoma in situ, as well as the various tests you have had, and hopefully they will be along shortly to share their experiences with you on this, so be sure to check back often.

All the best to you Moe!
Hugs
Maria
Unread 11-25-2001, 11:56 AM

Hi there Moe, I had carcinaoma in situ/severe dysplasia as well. The recovery is the same as if having a hyster for other reasons. 6 weeks rest, no heavy lifting. It is best to follow the Drs orders. All Drs have different orders.
It is good that you are keeping your ovaries , menopause problems arent much fun and cervical cancer isnt related to ovarian , so thats a plus! I did keep my ovaries and they worked perfectly well until I had radiation treatment , then they were 'killed' so I have been on both sides of that fence and let me tell you I WANT MY OVARIES BACK !!! So if you can keep them I say KEEP THEM .

If you read my story, please remember that what happened to me only happens in a very small percent of women, dont want to scare you

Have you visited the pre op forum ? There is alot of help there with expectations etc.
Best of luck with it all and please dont forget we are here for you Let us know how you go xx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-25-2001, 02:00 PM

Hi, Moe!

So sorry to hear you are having these problems, but it sounds as if you are really thinking this through and finding a decision you are comfortable with. I am happy to have my surgery behind me, and recovery was not too awful. The first couple of weeks are hard then it gets progressively better. I was able to keep my ovaries and I am really glad. I feel just like I always did, and I've pretty much figured out where I am in my "cycle" (minus the bleeding) at any given point. I've had 2 PAPs now since my surgery and both have come back normal. You will likely be having 3 month follow-ups for a couple of years after your surgery (if that turns out to be your final decision).

Good luck as your surgery draws near. Absolutely visit the pre-op board as lots of ladies-in-waiting and new princesses (as well as experienced princesses) are there to share their stories. And, of course, you are always welcome here and we will help you out the best we can!
Unread 11-25-2001, 04:12 PM
cervical cancer

Hi Moe,

I wish you well. I just had the Leep last August and the results were carcinoma in situ. I'm 26 so my doctor gave me a choice last week of cold knife or TVH. So I scheduled the TVH for December 20, 2001. I am keeping my ovaries unless there is something wrong with them.I am starting to wander if I am overreacting. I am just simply tired of going to the doctor so often and worrying about this situation.I wish you health and luck in you decision.I know it is not an easy one.

Take Care,
Gretchen
Unread 11-25-2001, 07:09 PM

Hi and Welcome! I had the same thing you have - almost the same story and I'm the same age as you. I had the cold knife cone and within six months It was all back and worse than before. I opted for the hyst because I had spent a full year with "procedures" only to get another "abnormal pap" result. I had a TAH and kept my ovaries.
You will find a lot of info about post-op here. It is a great site, with many different stories. Best of luck to you. These ladies are great listeners!
Unread 11-25-2001, 08:09 PM

I completely understand the feeling of wanting everything out NOW! That was my decision and they didn't even think it was cancer--just that it MIGHT be and they didn't know what it was. (turned out to be really rare cancer)

Definitely keep your ovaries if you can.

However, I also know the level of pain felt on the Aching Hearts board. And I know that the sense of loss hit me totally to my surprise (47, no kids, knew I wasn't going to have any). It hits even women with many children.

I'm not saying not to do it. I guess I'm saying I understand why your doctor is being cautious. You might feel a lot of unexpected grief. We're here, but there are limits to the internet as a comfort.

Physically, it's a long recovery for everyone, but other than that everyone is different. There is a lot of advice on the boards and at www.hystersisters.com (the pulldown menus).

Unread 11-26-2001, 04:15 AM

I went through the same thing, and I too wanted it all out asap!! I was able to keep my ovaries, but for some reason they haven't fully kicked in yet. If they look good, I think it is wise to keep them because you have a chance of them working and never needing any type of hrt after surgery. Just keep in mind that the women who have had surgery and are doing great, have probably moved on and therefore you won't see many posts from them. Please know that we are all here for you!! I will admit that recovery is hard and there are limitations, but knowing that you are cancer free is well worth it!!
Unread 11-26-2001, 05:12 AM
choices

Hi Moe: You can do some serious research for your condition. That is what I did 9 years ago. I had the same thing as you but after the leep procedure it came back negative. My mistake was not keeping up with the pap smears year after year. So when I did finally go it had developed into stage 11 cancer of the cervix then you have a lot of painful radiation, chemo, etc to go through. My suggestion if you think you want children, is to do some alternative steps in diet, and tumor reducers, supplements. It's not an easy route but sometimes very effective. You just have to find a dr who is willing to keep an eye on you and work with you while you do this. If you don't want children I would just opt for the surgery and get it done. The good thing about cervical cancer it's a slow grower so don't panic and let your mind control and make it bigger than it is. The word is just scary. Remember that you are in control of your own body. Please read as much as you can about your condition. It helps so much. The alternative methods are hard and take a lot of dicipline. In this day and age we are all in such a hurry that we just want it cut out and to get on with our busy lives.......so, make an educated decision about YOU and what will work in your life. Prayer helps a lot! Sometimes we need someone larger than life to help make some of these huge decisions that come up. Good luck Moe. I know you will be fine whatever you decide. Let us all know how and what you decide.
Unread 11-26-2001, 10:12 AM

I just wanted to add my two cents worth here...like Trish I opted for the hyst even though they didn't think that it was cancer...it ended up being severe dysplasia. Now I had other problems (endo, adeno, varicose veins) that made my decision a little easier. I too wanted it OUT of me asap! I do have one son (a very precocious age 7) and had made the decision after having him that he would be my only child. I thought that the surgery would only "hit" me physically but about a month post op I sort of fell apart. It was like I didn't want another child until I knew for sure that I couldn't have one. From what I've read on the boards this is fairly normal so I'd say to expect something along those lines even though you know that you don't want any children. My recovery time was about 8 weeks...I had the abdominal cut though from hip to hip. I still have some tender spots and it's been a little over a year. I'm SO happy that I've had it done though! I have one ovary left that works about half so I'm all for keeping those ovaries if they work! I take on otc phytoestrogen cream and vagifem tablets inserted vaginally once per week and have been doing pretty well. I know if I forget the cream though...I get a teensy bit *****y! Good luck and let us all know what you decide. I've had five "paps" since my surgery and all have come back fine. Hopefully you'll be as fortunate and they'll get it all out at once. Good luck.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register