Kept the Ovaries and Discovered HOT FLASHES! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Kept the Ovaries and Discovered HOT FLASHES! Kept the Ovaries and Discovered HOT FLASHES!

Unread 05-03-2011, 08:09 AM
Kept the Ovaries and Discovered HOT FLASHES!

I had my surgery at the end of January. I had fibroid tumors and my periods were simply horrible. I put the surgery off for nearly six years before I finally said enough was enough.

I kept my ovaries because they were fine, but I think I'm having mini hot flashes. They happen throughout the day, but mainly at night.

I've always been a "cold" person, but now I'm pretty warm most of the time.

Is this normal?

I'm not really interested in talking to my doctor because I'm pretty sure she'll suggest hormones, which I'm scared of.

Sigh. I feel so ill informed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2011, 08:40 AM
Re: Kept the Ovaries and Discovered HOT FLASHES!

Sometimes the ovaries take time to kick in post op but (usually) recover. Mine were "out" for a couple months then recovered. So there is hope this is temporary. If you don't want hormones, you might want to check out something like Estroven----I've never taken it but some ladies on here say it helped them. Or you could wait and see if/when the ovaries kick back in. I hope you feel better soon.
Unread 05-03-2011, 10:37 AM

Yea mine took 6 wks to kick back in but my symptoms have returned. I'm going on 3 wks now so my dr upped my lexapro, prescribed me ambien to help with sleep and I'm on an antibiotic for a uti. He said sometimes lexapro can help hot flashes, night sweats, etc.

The ambien did help and I didn't feel groggy like I thought I was. I feel a whole lot better! I'm also gonna try amberen if all this doesn't work.

Hang in there things will get better. If not try some OTC meds for hot flashes. For me it didn't work but we are all different.

Hugs to all my sisters!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-04-2011, 05:33 PM

I kept both ovaries and had some issues with flashing - more like flushing as compared with other descriptions - post surgery. I also had some night sweats - just enough to kick the covers off. Not enough to soak sheets, etc. Unfortunately I also had two LARGE kidney stones to contend with which I discovered also could trigger some of these issues. After ESWL treament on the right kidney my issues seemed to crank up a bit in intensity. I did a hormone panel a little while post the 3 month mark which confirmed I had entered menopause. Of course I had undergone the additional procedure and was also suffering from sleep issues which I was told cound interfere with my ovaries getting back to normal - could be 6 months or more. I departed my Dr's office with script for Ambien and vitamin D and the instruct that I needed to ensure that I got an appropriate amount of rest. I have subsequently undergone ESWL on the left kidney and subsequently a ureteroscopy as the ESWL failed. Ironically my my flashing is now gone. I occasionally feel a bit warm, but I am also still healing from 4 procedures done in the span of 6 months so who knows at this point.

I am scheduled to go in for a follow up panel to check my D and hormone levels again. While the hot flash issue has subsided I am now suffering from sore breast issues so I am not optimistic they have woken up.

The long winded point I am trying to make is if you are encountering issues and you are at or past the 3 month mark I would have a hormone panel done rather than guess. Especially if your sympoms are really bothering you. For me, just the Ambien and Vitamin D worked wonders.

Good luck!
Unread 05-04-2011, 11:15 PM

My ovaries went to sleep for the first 2 months. I had hot flashes and night sweats really bad during that time. Once they woke back up all of that went away. It is very common for your ovaries to go into shock after surgery. Just hang in there. In time you should go back to normal. Best wishes to you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register