Petrified of Surgical Menopause,epilepsy and lupus | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Petrified of Surgical Menopause,epilepsy and lupus Petrified of Surgical Menopause,epilepsy and lupus

Unread 05-10-2011, 09:39 AM
Petrified of Surgical Menopause,epilepsy and lupus

I am new here and am having my hysterectomy on May 16th for possible endometrial cancer. I definitely need my uterus removed, and the doctor has recommended the ovaries as well, but I am petrified of going into menopause. I also have epilepsy and mild lupus and I am not sure I can take HRT. I am so afraid of my seizures getting worse. That is my biggest concern. Although I know there are other risks of losing the hormones, I am mostly concerned with the seizures. I am seeing my neurologist on Thursday and hope this will allay some of my fears so I can make an informed decision. I also don't want to become sleepless and anxious all the time. I have a colon cancer gene (MYH) so it is unclear whether this endometrial issue is related to that, so having my ovaries out is likely prudent. But I am simply beside myself with fear at what will happen to me without them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-11-2011, 02:47 PM
Re: Petrified of Surgical Menopause,epilepsy and lupus

Dear Char71,
I too have seizures. I have breast cancer and had a hysterectomy, oophorectomy, lumpectomy and 4 sentinel nodes biopsied on April 20. I am recovering well. I am no doctor, but I wanted to share a few things that I've gleaned in my health travels in case they are helpful to you.

1) Fear is not your friend. I have found that when I feel fearful it makes me less able to advocate for myself and take good care of myself. It is real and must be acknowledged, but then you gotta figure out a way to move through it so that you can soak in the magical goodness in the Universe, which will definitely help you through this. My tip is to use guided imagery CDs. I love Belleruth Naperstek's CDs at the Health Journeys website. Two in particular were helpful for me pre and post-op: Meditations to Relieve Stress and Meditations to Promote Succesful Surgery. They've done wonders for me.

2) Since I have estrogen receptor positive cancer, I can't do HRT. I was worried about this and the potential for additional seizures. I was surprised to hear from my gynecologist that one of the better treatments in my situation (and perhaps yours) also happens to be an anti-seizure med called Gabapentin (aka Neurontin). I have not started it yet, so I can't tell you whether it works or not, but hopefully just knowing that it's out there will allay your fears. Ask your doctor.

3) I have been taking a tsp of Bragg's organic apple cider vinegar in 8 oz water every morning and every evening based on something I read on this site. It seems like it has been helping with the hot flashes etc and is also helping me keep my pH level more alkaline which is good for fighting cancer.

Lastly, I have not had any seizures post-op (yet!). So far I have to say that the hysterectomy is one of the best things I've ever done. I used to be in so much pain from endo not just during my period but every day. 3 days post op I was in less pain than I was each period. By 5 days post op I felt better than I did on a non-cycle day pre-op! I'm still taking it easy and in recovery, but I feel really good about the steps I have taken so far.

Whatever steps you take, I hope they bring you peace and health!
Anne
Unread 05-11-2011, 03:24 PM
Re: Petrified of Surgical Menopause,epilepsy and lupus

Thank you very much, Anne, for your reply. I will ask my neuro about Neurontin. I see him tomorrow. I tried Neurontin years ago as a single AED, and it didn't do anything for seizures, but maybe in combo with the Keppra I take it would provide additional coverage and help hot flashes. I do have some of the CDs you mention. When I had a subtotal colectomy in 2009 I read the book, "Prepare for Surgery, Heal Faster" and used the affirmations in the OR. I know it helped with pain afterward. I didn't realize at the time that my sister had given me Belleruth's CD's as well along with the book I mention. So I just found the CD's the other day and couldn't be better timing! I will put them on my Ipod. Thanks again for the advice and support. I appreciate it. I hope you continue to be seizure free and that your recovery continueds to go well. Warm regards, Charlotte.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register