take or leave the cervix? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

take or leave the cervix? take or leave the cervix?

Unread 05-10-2011, 10:24 PM
take or leave the cervix?

I'm having some anxiety issues! My surgery was all set for April 29, 2011 but just days before the big day the office called to say that my dr. was in the hospital and wouldn't be back for quite some time. So I had to either wait several months for him or go with a different dr. in his practice. I have opted to go with the other dr. I'm just worried as they do the surgery diff. and would of taken differently parts out. The new one is going to leave my cervix in tact and take the uterus and ovaries and tubes out. The other was taking the cervix also. I did have a cervical biopsy done and all came back fine and have never had an irregular pap that's why the second wants to leave it. Any one leave it or take it and wish they hadn't? One more week and the decision will be over with... Oh I can't wait to be done!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-10-2011, 10:28 PM
Re: take or leave the cervix?

Oh I forgot to mention that we are taking the ovaries due to a strong family history of ovarian cancer. My maternal grandmother and aunt both died of cancer that was believed to have started there and also a maternal aunt who had precancerous cells on her ovaries and strange growths on them when she had her hyst at my age.
Unread 05-10-2011, 10:37 PM

I posted this in another thread so here it is again:

I decided to keep mine. Reasons for keeping it:
1. No bad pap smears to date
2. Less invasive surgery (less cutting of ligaments and less surgery around the bladder)
3. Possible support for pelvic floor (not proven though)
4. No vaginal cuff (stitches are way up inside your abdomen on the other side of the cervix)
5. No possible shortening of the vagina (vagina feels exactly the same as before)
6. Recovery is slightly faster or easier because of the less invasive surgery (I had no pain the day after surgery, however, I have no idea if it was due to less cutting or what)

Cons that I aware of:
1. Possibility of having to have it removed later (If it comes to that, I am okay with that)
2. Possibility of mini-periods (I am okay with that too as they wouldn't be as bad as what I had before)
3. Need to continue to have Pap smears. (I am okay with that too as some doctors want you to have vaginal vault smears even if you don't have a cervix)
4. Well this isn't a con but if you decide to get rid of it, you can have a vaginal hyster depending on what your issues are. If you keep it, you have to have laparoscopic if it is possible or an abdominal. You cannot have a vaginal hyster and keep the cervix.

If there are some pros or cons that I missed, I hope that other ladies will post them. For me, the pros outweighed the cons. Sex is exactly the same for me. Aside from a scar across the bottom of my tummy, I feel exactly the same as before and that was important to me as I felt just fine before my hyster.

Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-10-2011, 10:43 PM

Im struggling with the same decision.
I HAVE had abnormal pap / cervical dysplasia. I had a LEEP last year to remove the 2 pre-cancer spots. Still, a large part of me wants to try to keep my cervix. I feel a little silly for feeling that way, but there is just so much tug of war back and forth in regards to the cervix and its relation to sexual function. Plus, I just want to come out of this with as much of a feeling of normalcy as I can.
I honestly think I would prefer to keep it intact, continue with my yearly paps, and address any issues as they come if they come.

I analyze things way too much, I know........just a worry wart by nature LOL Im going to have myself completel;y crazy by the time I ever make it to the OR.

Tina
Unread 05-11-2011, 05:48 AM

I'm struggling with the same thing. My OB/GYN didn't address whether I'd keep my cervix or not if he had to do it abdominally. <3_Olemiss, don't feel silly for wanting to keep it for sexual function worries because that's a huge reason that I want to keep mine. I have had mild cervical dysplasia in the past but my paps haven't been abnormal in 7 years. Due to multiple issues I don't think it'll be able to be done vaginally, so I plan on discussing the cervix issue ASAP with my doctor.
Unread 05-11-2011, 07:35 AM

I think the biggest con for me and reason i had mine removed was the risk of cancer i also had a leep for precancerous growth. and the desire to never have to go through this type of surgery again. If they did have to take it later down the road that would be another recovery period and another 6 weeks minimum no sex. No way lol. I am only 13 days post op so can't really say if it is going to change anything internally but i can tell you that everything externally feels the same including clitoral orgasm feels exactly the same so I am happy so far. And no chance of mini periods is a big pro for me i never want to see another one of those lol. I wish i was farther along so I could help more. But so far no regrets and no external stitches because it was done vaginally taking the cervix.

Hope this helps some. I have faith you will know what to do when the time comes. See you on the other side
Hugs
Unread 05-11-2011, 08:46 AM

My cervix was taken. It wasn't actually discussed with me prior to surgery, just had a TAH and it went along with the uterus.

Still have my ovaries.

I have NO side effects to date with my cervix being taken, sex is the same as before, no issues with the cuff.
No mini periods, No bleeding - what a huge plus.
No more smears, no worries that there may be a risk of any more medical issues there, has to be a plus.

Think about it and go with your heart and your head. This has to be your decision not the new docs, you are the person who will live with it.

Good luck to you hun, x
Unread 05-11-2011, 08:58 AM

Hi Tlynm,
I'm like dani3113 - never had precancerous growth on my cervix. Both of my parents + a maternal aunt died of cancer, so I think it will eventually get me, but because I had never had an abnormal pap, three separate gyn surgeons suggested the LSH (laparoscopic supracervical hysterectomy). I had surgery last Friday, and I can honestly say I feel like a different woman!

For me, the possible benefit of a strong pelvic floor, knowledge that some orgasms can occur in the cervix, and risk of light periods were all worth the keeping of my cervix. I don't know what my sex drive will be like in 5 1/2 weeks, but I think it's pretty intact; I do have one good ovary.

Is there any way you can sneak in a consult with a different gynecologist, just to have him/her review your records and suggest a surgery type? Perhaps a 2nd second opinion would help you make your decision?

I also noticed that below where I'm writing this "quick reply," there are many threads of people who have asked just this question. Perhaps you want to read those too? Sisters before us have left lots of insight for you!
((((BIG HUGS)))) to you!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register