Should I be doing this at 57/second thoughts | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Should I be doing this at 57/second thoughts Should I be doing this at 57/second thoughts

Unread 05-11-2011, 02:47 PM
Should I be doing this at 57/second thoughts

I guess I am considered still new to this forum. I am scheduled for surgery on June 6th because of adenomyosis. My uterus is about the size of a 14 1/2 week pregnancy. I have been having irregular periods (thought I was starting menopause) I have had back pain for over a year with pain running down my leg, thought I was having a kidney stone a couple of months ago but they couldn't find anything on CT scan, intermittent peeing, and although I am thin I am always feeling bloated and always tired. I am like an evil woman wanting to yell at everyone. I recently had the most horrific period for 2 weeks (you know the kind with the giant clots) and finally went to the Doc. My periods are always extremely heavy to the point where I can't be too far from a bathroom. I am anemic and now on iron. Had a biopsy done and an external and internal ultrasound. They saw no endo, saw a fibroid, and said my uterus was very large and are very sure it is adeno. I ended up getting another very heavy and lengthy period 2 weeks later. I am 57 years old so now I am having the "second thought" syndrome.... maybe if I wait a little longer I will hit menopause and maybe I really don't need this surgery My GYN has been awesome during this craziness and she is somewhat conservative but is concerned. For the back problem I had been seeing an Ortho guy who thought it was a bad disc. Took a year to finally get an MRI on that and from what I am told the disc should be producing the pain on the opposite side of my body. Chiro guy said he has seen people with a worse disc with no problems at all. Started me thinking. I never had a back problem until a little over a year ago. Kind of started just before my period. Then had it all the time until it got worse running down my leg. I do trust my GYNO but is it normal to be so scared that I need to find an excuse to run because of my AGE?? I am getting more and more scared as the date approaches but I hate my life the way it is. My husband has put up with so much I am surprised he is still here. He is supportive and has watched my decline, never got mad at the trips we couldn't take, and has watched me clean up his car seat in tears. Can you tell I am having a melt down?? Anyone else feel like this before their surgery?? Sorry this got so long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-11-2011, 03:02 PM
Re: Should I be doing this at 57/second thoughts

Big hugs to you! I can tell you, from the decision point to have surgery (March) to the present (my pre-op is Friday, surgery next Tuesday), I have been a lunatic. There's the second guessing, the 'maybe I can put up with the pain', wondering if there is something else I could try (I've already had a myomectomy and ablation), and so on. I think it is normal, but it sure isn't pleasant. I have had agonizing cramps/pains since I was in my late teens--fibroids--and I suspect that when my uterus is biopsied, there will be adenomyosis.

So--you are pretty much where many of us are now--waiting and wondering. There is great info on this site!

Take care,

dee
Unread 05-11-2011, 03:06 PM

It sounds like you have had a rough road. No one can tell you what to do, and only you know what is best for you. It sounds like you have seen a lot of doctors for various things, but only one gyn. I would strongly suggest a second opinion. It might be that there are other ways to treat your adeno besides hyst. A second opinion is always a good idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-11-2011, 03:18 PM

Totally normal to feel the way you do. I was double and triple thinking my decision. I was trying to find any excuse in the book. I was in pain non-stop for 2 months to the point I couldn't get out of bed. Then for two weeks just before surgery I felt almost normal. It made me think that I shouldn't do it. Then I thought I need to do this so I can have my life back. I AM SO HAPPY I did it. I have my life back. I am a new person! I am almost 5 months out. I have been so active that my husband doesn't know what to do with me. I am always doing things. Before I was always in pain that I didn't want to do anything. Now nothing is stopping me. Life is Great! I wish you well.
Unread 05-11-2011, 03:45 PM

I understand and so appreciate your advice and thoughts for another GYNO opinion, but I have seen enough doctors. I am mentally and physically tired. So many that have poo pooed my problems. You have no idea. Same problems that I see on this adeno forum. I am amazed and somewhat comforted that I am not going crazy and it is not in my mind. In fact when I started with the back problem (started during my periods) she had suggested some tests for me (she was smart) and I refused (I was stupid) because I was being a baby. Guess what, if I had done what she strongly suggested maybe I would not be in this mess. Never probably needed Ortho guy and Urologist. Hind sight 20 20. She has never brushed me off and we had tried several conservative measures. B/C did not work on my original bleeding issues, in fact I think it made no difference, maybe a bit more pain. Now I cannot be on any hormones at all because of another medical issue. I am not sure what other decision there is only to have it or not. I figured for crying out loud I am 57 there should be a light at the end of my tunnel. Only that everything is getting worse. From what I have seen posted adeno does not get better but will/may with menopause. Why am I not in menopause? That is my excuse at this point. I honestly cannot live like this anymore. I haven't been to work in a week and have taken myself off the schedule because I feel so crappy. I need an income and this is setting us back quite a bit. GYN has spent a lot of time talking to me about this and has tried to calm my fears. I trust her and I feel she is one of the best around. BUT I am still so nervous and this surgery is far enough away that I guess I have too much time to think. I only want this to go away one way or another. For sure I cannot bleed like this anymore I was so weak and I am just starting to actually feel slightly human (been over 3 weeks). Thank you all for advice I wish I could just sleep the next few weeks. Why can't I just go into menopause? I am certainly old enough.....
Unread 05-11-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
I honestly cannot live like this anymore. I haven't been to work in a week and have taken myself off the schedule because I feel so crappy. I need an income and this is setting us back quite a bit.
Sounds like it's time to do something... How long do you want to feel that way?
Unread 05-11-2011, 04:00 PM

amymcg,

You are right. I can't live like this. BUT isn't 57 too old for these problems? I kept putting up with it to buy time and it is getting worse. What have I done to myself? Thank you for seeing that. I am in a fog.
Unread 05-11-2011, 04:24 PM

graiae,
Good luck to you and God Bless. Please keep us posted... we all care.
Unread 05-11-2011, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellagal View Post
BUT isn't 57 too old for these problems?
Unfortunately, it isn't. I had already gone through menopause. No symptoms other than drier skin and increasingly more frequent, lighter periods. After a bit more than a year of no periods, I thought I was done. Ha. Then the "fun" began. I started bleeding again. Erratic spotting then sustained looks-like-someone's-been-murdered-in-your-bathroom bleeding for weeks on end. After 3 D&Cs in 3 years and mega-doses of birth control pills, I had had more than enough fun with fibroids. The weird thing is that I didn't even realize how much pain I was in. I recognized the post-op pain for what it was. I was shocked to realize that I hurt less than I did before surgery. (I only needed prescription ibuprofen after the surgery.)

You'll be dead tired for a few weeks after the surgery, but there's a good chance that you'll feel a lot better than you do now - long before you've fully healed from the hysterectomy.

Oh, and erratic emotions before surgery are really common. Sometimes it's about things that make sense and sometimes not. I was in the latter group. I felt like no one was listening to or believing me - both personally and professionally. (I can't begin to tell you how out of character that was for me.) I finally had a screaming, major meltdown in the kitchen one night - over orange juice of all things. It's funny now, but not so much at the time.
Unread 05-11-2011, 10:16 PM

I so sympathize with you. My thoughts and emotions are all over the place right now. I know people (my husband mainly) are tired of hearing me obssess over all of this, but I cannot help it. IM SCARED. Im heading into a major surgery to alter my body, my life, my womanhood..........and most people act like it shouldnt be any more stressful than running to the grocery for eggs and milk. I promise, if one more person tells me "its not a big deal", "u just need to let go and stop thinking about it" I will not and cannot be responsible for my actions! I am ready to rip apart the next friend or family member that minimizes what I am going through. :-/

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register