LAVH, Vault suspension, paravaginal repair and posterior repair | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

LAVH, Vault suspension, paravaginal repair and posterior repair LAVH, Vault suspension, paravaginal repair and posterior repair

Unread 05-18-2011, 02:14 PM
Unhappy - LAVH, Vault suspension, paravaginal repair and posterior repair LAVH, Vault suspension, paravaginal repair and posterior repair

I will be having all of these procedures done on 6/21. I am mostly scared about the bladder after the surgery. I have a fear of catheters. I am ok having one in while under anesthesia, but the thought of taking it out and not being able to pee is scary to me. I am more conference about that than the pain. No mesh is being used....only sutures. Have decided to go with the best Dr.'s in Atlanta for surgery. Has anyone had these repairs all together? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-18-2011, 02:15 PM
Re: LAVH, Vault suspension, paravaginal repair and posterior repair

Auto correct...hate it on the iPad.. I met to say I am moe concerned not conference.
Unread 05-18-2011, 02:44 PM

I had TAH and mesh sling at same time and then week later two wisdom out. I have not had any issues with the sling and removing the cath was not an issue. I was afraid of it too as it usually hurts like H___ but this time, nadda. Refocus your miond when removing and take deep breath if need be. I didn't do either but I also felt nothing. only had it in for 36 hours. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-23-2011, 12:45 AM

Garlandaj, I had the same procedures on 5/11. My surgery took 3 1/2 hours and I spent 3 nights in the hospital. I do have a mesh sling. I had a foley catheter for the first night. It was removed the next evening, but I was unable to urinate on my own and had to straight cath myself. Each time I needed to void, the nurses would have me walk the halls, then urinate in the hat. They'd measure & notate, then scan my bladder to see how much was left, then send me back to the hat to straight cath myself. Afterward they measured THAT and noted it. It seemed redundant to me to do a bladder scan AND the second measurement. Also, when you've got to GO, it made for a lengthy process!
The day after my foley was removed, I could urinate about 150 ml on my own (but only after walking and walking and walking to "wake up" my bladder), but still had to straight cath for what was usually between 350 and 500 ml.
Now a week and a half post-op, I still have to straight cath myself several times a day. It's frustrating to me that sometimes I'm able to nearly empty my bladder and other times...nothing.
The good news is that although I was nervous about catheterizing myself, it turned out to be relatively easy and painless. The insertion is much less painful than the times I've been catheterized by nurses! I find the most uncomfortable part to be withdrawing the catheter. It's helpful for me to take a big breath and blow out as I remove the cath.
Well, that's how it's been for me, but I understand there is a lot of variance between patients. Good luck to you!
Unread 05-24-2011, 12:05 AM

if you look at my sig you will see all the surgeries i had, 5 hours of day surgery, except i ended up in hospital for an extra day because of severe pain, my cath was taken out the next a.m. i did n't have any problems except couldn't tell when i had to pee, i have to say i felt pretty awful for 3 months though, hard recovery, but i also had the rectocele one too
Unread 07-23-2011, 08:33 PM

Thanks. It has been awhile since I've posted. Surgery went very well and my healing has been good. I over did the walking on vacation - which was 3 weeks post op, but other than that I have been taking my restrictions serious. I am 4 weeks post op and still have some swelling. I kind of freaked out that maybe I felt my cystocele back already. I had a paravaginal repair. I go for my 8 week check up on August 10th, so I will try not to freak out too much. I am trying to stay off my feet more and take my motrin and do some ice packs at the end of the day. When I say I feel like my cystocele is back - I look in the mirror and the bulge is there, but not as far down. I know it will never be gone...duh...the nurse just told me that they do not like to see it "move" when you bear down. However, they do not want me bearing down right at the moment...being 4 weeks post op. I have had some constipation. I try hard to keep things moving with Colace and prunes. If I feel I need to get things moving I take Milk of Mag. It works like a charm!
This week has been hard. My cycle would have been this week...I still have ovaries...so wondering if that is why things feel more irritated too. I have also developed a slight cold that has a cough. Coughing is NOT fun with the rectocele repair....or just being afraid to cough. Ugh...
Anyways, wanted to update that all went very well with my surgery and my hospital stay. I worried about a lot that didn't happen. My surgeon is awesome and if I need to have something else worked on soon after this surgery I know I am in great hands. I don't think I can post his info, but he is in Atlanta. If you would like to know his information email me. Happy healing to all!
Unread 07-23-2011, 11:37 PM

good news! i am glad it is going well for you except for the coughing, ugh! i used milk of magnesia every day for 6 weeks......maybe overkill but i was so worried about poops

a lot of people who had the same surgery at the same time as me, felt like you did, that our cystoceles had failed, ended up being swelling which seemed much worse at 4 weeks than at one

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register