Gallbladder Spasm & HRT | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Gallbladder Spasm & HRT Gallbladder Spasm & HRT

Unread 05-27-2011, 11:33 AM
Gallbladder Spasm & HRT

I had a dVH (total) on 5/16/11 and except for a sore peri area the 1st 4 days, I've have had an extremely easy recovery (off all pain meds in 48 hours, back to work part-time in 5 days, walking 1.5mi per day starting 3 days postop). Most of the ladies in my online recovery group are going through so much more (I was there with them 10 years ago after a laparotomy for a big ovarian cyst, got off easy this time)

My doctor started me on PremPro the day after the surgery because I was not in menopause and I have endometriosis. It's been going well -- no hot flashes, mood swings, plenty of energy, and no munchies/cravings (HUGE for me) and I've lost 8# since surgery. Wednesday night (9 days postop), I woke up with severe upper right quadrant pain and nausea. I was soon sitting on the toilet, vomiting into my lap. I felt a little better by morning and my doctor said it was probably a gallbladder spasm. I had something like this 3 years ago but it lasted 4 days (although my bloodwork and an ultrasound didn't find anything except a small gallbladder cyst).

So, I learned today that oral HRT increases a woman's chance of gallbladder disease, both stones and spasm. Any input from others who have dealt with this and figured out how to manage it would be appreciated. I have a history of higher cholestrol, triglycerides and LDL, so I'm not so sure this oral route is a good idea, but the patches, creams and rings don't sound so great either.

thanks, Laura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2011, 05:18 PM
Re: Gallbladder Spasm & HRT

Hi Laura,
It is true that oral hrt might increase the chance of gallbladder issues. However; you have not been on it that long. I would think it may take longer than a few weeks to develop gallbladder disease from oral hrt.

If you are concerned, discuss it with your doctor. There are other options for hrt besides oral. You can read more in the articles at www.hormonejungle.com

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register