Oh those ovaries! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Oh those ovaries! Oh those ovaries!

Unread 11-28-2001, 09:09 PM
Oh those ovaries!

I'm back again, hoping someone can give me some heads up as to what's in store for me. First of all I had a pelvic ultra sound which showed I had a small cyst 2.0cm on my left ovary. Dr. sent me for the transvaginal ultrasound and this one showed a cystic left ovary mass 3.7x2.7x2.5 cm that appears to be extending from the left ovary. They say it may be a complex cystic mass with a septation vs two seperate cysts lying adjacent to each other. The radiologist suggests: Clinical Correlation. I am worried about cancer. My Primary Doctor wants me to see a Gyn ASAP. Are these types of cysts prone to being cancerous ????? I already had my uterus out 2 yrs. ago due to fibroid tumors which were growing rapidly. Do these types of ovarian cysts usually require surgery/removal??? Hope someone out there knows?
Maggie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-29-2001, 06:11 AM
Oh those ovaries!

I don't have any experience with cysts, but I am sure that one of the other ladies will be in soon to help you out. Try not to worry too much until you speak to your doctor. Remember that he is there to help you and is in tune with your past medical history, so don't hesitate to ask any questions that you may have. We are all here for you and will help as much as we can!
Unread 11-29-2001, 12:51 PM
Oh those ovaries!

Hi Maggie,
I am afraid I won't be of much help here, but I do know that some cysts have names, and if you can find out the name then you could research that particular cyst name and perhaps find some info on it.

Its hard not to worry I realize, but the sooner you have it seen to the sooner you can find out what your options are to rid yourself of these.

I am sure however that when you do see your gyn to have it checked out he/she will have more information on the type of cyst as well. I hope you will make the appt. soon to put your mind at ease.

A couple of good sites for research are www.webmd.com and www.google.com. With the google site, you could first type ovarian cysts, and then go to the area where it says "search within results", and put in the name, and that will break the search down further for you.

All the best to you Maggie, and please let us know what the gyn says!! I will keep you in my prayers that these are just simple little cysts that can be easily taken care of!
Hugs
Maria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-30-2001, 06:54 AM
Oh those ovaries!

{{Maggie}}

I'm sorry, I'm not going to be of much help either. I've seen many discussions here on the boards regarding cysts, if you do a search on "cysts" you might be able to find some ladies who've also experienced these.

I hope all goes well with the Dr and these turn out to be nothing to worry about. Please keep us posted on how you are doing when you can. Sending you many prayers and well wishes.

{{hugs}}

Vicki
Unread 11-30-2001, 08:01 PM
Oh those ovaries!

Hi Maggie!

Your story sounds a little like mine. My ovarian mass was on my right ovary, only it was large - 7x9x8 (if memory serves-?). This discovery threw me into somewhat of a panic, too!

I, too, went searching (Google.com) for every bit of info I could find. Some of what I read scared me terribly, but much of it was encouraging, saying that the majority of these masses turned out to be benign.

My Gyn insisted on immediate surgical removal for biopsy. Once removed, I had to wait nearly 4 weeks to get the results! Turns out, the mass was 'atypical' and the pathologist sent it off to the Armed Forces Labs in Washington, D.C. and finally sent back the results. Thankfully, they found only pre-cancer and recommended no further treatment! Whew!

I pray for you for good news, too!

Prayers and Hugs,
Unread 12-03-2001, 06:32 AM
ovarian cysts

I too had large ovarian cysts, one was as big as a grapefruit, first they saw it on the echography and they urged me to go urinating because they thought it was my bladder(!), this was 3 years ago, it was taken away by laparascopy, and it was filled with a fluid, so they emptied it first, using a method like a straw. I had to stay in hospital only one night after, but 2 years later I got another big cyst the same side and size, as I was 45 and also having large fybroids on the outside of my uterus, we decided to have a LAVH/BSO. Nothing malignant was found according to the later laboratory tests.
Only thing I regret is that at that time I didn't know this wonderful hystersisterssite, it would have been a great support in those months.
All the best to you,
Greet
Unread 12-03-2001, 07:03 PM
Oh those ovaries!

Hi. I'm new here looking for information myself. I do know a little about ovarian cysts, at least as it relates to me. 2 years ago I had my right ovary removed--it too had the septation--but it turned out benign. I have another on my left ovary now, same septations about the size of a tennis ball. This time I'm trying the BCP, even though I have Norplant, to reduce the size. The extra hormones are making me feel as though I am going insane, my doc says just one more week. Niehter of us think it will reduce it, but this way I know before I make a decision to yank it all, that I knew 100% it wasn't the type that is reducable.
Unread 12-05-2001, 04:09 PM
Oh those ovaries!

Complex cysts are more poorly defined. On ultrasound reports it usually refers to areas seen that contain cysts but they are not clear and often they are not distinct. They are different from mixed cystic and solid cysts however in which the anatomy is clearer but of mixed consistency. Complex cysts are often hemorrhagic corpus luteum cysts or follicle cysts with bleeding in them, inflammatory processes such as pelvic infection, endometriosis of ovary and occasionally dermoid cysts or other benign tumors of the ovary. As a result they are often associated with pain and abnormal menses if the former and are asymptomatic if they are benign tumors of the ovary.

This is to be distinguished from mixed cystic and solid tumors which are more worrisome and may represent malignancy. Usually they are not as symptomatic and don't affect menses unless they are fairly large.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register