Dr appointment today, and he thinks I am silly! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Dr appointment today, and he thinks I am silly! Dr appointment today, and he thinks I am silly!

Unread 05-31-2011, 04:46 PM
Dr appointment today, and he thinks I am silly!

My Dr all but came out and said I was ridiculous for stopping my Premarine on Friday. He said since it was only estrogen, I had no need to worry about blood clots, stroke, heart attack and my smoking with it was no big deal! He kind of made me feel stupid, but I stuck to my guns, and he said try the Estrozen and see how it goes if that is what I want to do. He just really thinks I am am being stupid I guess!

Does anyone else who has gone into surgical menopause smoke and feel the risks are too high for HRT? Am I the only one? HELP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-31-2011, 05:10 PM
Re: Dr appointment today, and he thinks I am silly!

I did a little online search and again and again read smoking increases your risk factors, just like you mentioned. I'm sure the risks vary person to person but it seems there is at least some risk, so why dismiss your concerns? Maybe factors add up to your being on the lower end of risk so he's not concerned, but sounds like he just blew off your questions. At any rate he could offer evidence to reassure you, if he has any. I'm sorry he made you feel stupid. Would a different Dr be an option? I don't think concern over potential side effects is stupid, you deserve a respectful discussion not condescending attitude.
Unread 06-02-2011, 04:02 PM
Re: Dr appointment today, and he thinks I am silly!

Hi DHall 71,

I had a hyster many years ago, took everything but left a small part of an ovary so I wouldn't go thru full blown meno at that time. I was 32 years young then.
Now I am 59 and going thru peri. I too smoke and I have been a HRT
(estrogen patch ) since I was forty. So it's been a long time.

My feelings are this. If I go to a doctor of any kind with genuine concerns
over my health or medications I am taking and they dismiss me as being silly
or ridiculous, it's time to find a new doctor.

At the begining of being placed on HRT, I too had the same concerns and like your doctor, mine told me that since I was only on estrogen that the benefits of HRT for someone my age far out weighed the risks. Since my uterus had been removed, I didn't need to worry about uteran cancer which at that time was a main concern of HRT.
But never once did he dismiss my worries, or thought I was being silly.
There is no such thing as a silly question. If it bothers you, than you are justified at being concerned.
To this day I still am on HRT, but at a low dose.
I am on Vivelle dot .05.
Maybe you may want to try something light like this.
When I 1st tried HRT, the doctor put me on Premarin, the lightest dose possible, and it was way too strong. It gave me terrible headaches, and I developed brown patches on my face and neck.
Once I got off the premarin and onto the patch, all that cleared up.
Not all hormones are alike.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register