TAH Hormones and ready to ditch the patch | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hormones and ready to ditch the patch Hormones and ready to ditch the patch

Unread 06-02-2011, 10:25 AM
Hormones and ready to ditch the patch

So post op has been pretty uneventful with the exception of the whole hormone thing.

First off my "hot flashes" started about three days post op. BUT they werent what I would call "hot flashes", more like "temp flashes". With in seconds i would go from cold to hot. More like I was sick with the flu, freezing cold then burning up, and they would start around mid to late afternoon and last till the middle of the night. All this combined with what i can best describe as restless leg syndrome.

Very difficult for me to get in out of our bed repeatedly so I would usually pass out in the recliner for a few hours and wake up in a pool of sweat and soaked hair.

Now this would repeat itself like clock work every 48 hours. i finally gave up a week after post op and called Dr. for a patch script.

Within 24 hours of slapping on the patch I went from a total emotional meltdown to feeling pregnant with morning sickness. Actually woke up one morning and instantly burst into tears without even having a chance to think of wanting to cry.

Emotionally I'm a powder keg and I have do desire to move from my chair despite being very bummed out to still be on restrictions after Dr appt. yesterday.

Dr. wants to play wait and see. Of course he does he doesn't have to live with me.

The only thing I did mention was if he thought I needed progesterone. No you dont need it he said. Um okay i had it at some point right???

Please Sisters I need some suggestions. I have been doing research for a couple hours and more confused than when I started
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2011, 10:28 AM
Re: Hormones and ready to ditch the patch

Forgot to mention both ovaries gone.
Unread 06-02-2011, 10:36 AM

lettwemwin-

I know what you mean - the whole HRT/ERT thing is very confusing. One thing I have learned from talking with other women is that is a process of fine tuning and is different for every woman. One woman I know (natural menopause) hated the ERT and dumped it after two days and just dealt with the menopause symptoms. Another woman I know, also natural menopause, is using herbs and "natural" remedies and is happy with the results. Don't know if that helps, but you are not alone. I have yet to decide for myself what to do......there is no clear cut way forward.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2011, 11:59 AM

lettwemwin,

As hard as it can be to deal with all the side effects, I can tell you that you really won't know how you're really going to feel on a specific ERT prescription or dose until you've been on it for at least 6 weeks. In addition, you're adding a prescription change to post-op hormone changes, so it's like having TWO new doses that your body is trying to figure out at the same time.

Keep reminding yourself that this is a medical issue and that it will resolve in time.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register