nerve damage from surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

nerve damage from surgery nerve damage from surgery

Unread 11-30-2001, 11:44 AM
nerve damage from surgery

I haven't been here for a while - but I do recommend this site to anyone who will listen. Now I'm taking my own advise. I hope someone can help me.

I had LAVH/BSO July 30. My recovery was a lot slower than I ever thought it would be but I was good and took the full 6 weeks off work. I also had great family and friends taking care of every little need I had. I say all this to let you know I did not rush things and did not over do.

I mentioned this problem here around week 4-5 and it hasn't gotten any better. I have pain in my groin on the left side and down my leg. Going up and down stairs is a real killer. Sitting for long periods also is out of the questions.

I told my doctor about it over and over. He finally put me on Neurontin (he felf it was nerve pain) This did not help. I went to a neurologist and he said is was nerve damage due to the surgery. He increased the dose of Neurontin. It helped a little, for a while, but now it's back. The neurologist basically said "It might get better, then again you might just have to live with it the rest of your life."

I've also been refered to a physical therapist but I haven't gone yet. Hopefully this week.

Has anyone else had this problem? Where else can I go?

I had my surgery to GET OUT OF PAIN. Now I've got even worse pain and all the issues associated with surgical menopause.

Thanks for listening. I love all you ladies!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-30-2001, 12:14 PM

Hi Pineapple,
Sorry to hear you have this and are in pain. Nerves are very intricate things and they can be damaged so easily.
I don't want to sound like a commercial here, but I have three bad discs in my low back....the pain from the nerves that the discs are pinching can be excruciating.
There is only one relief I have found and trust me, I have been to them all! Acupuncture, massage, chriropractic,.....nothing worked for me.
Except Bowen therapy! I have found my relief. My dh has found relief for his arthritis! Bowen is a series of gentle rolling moves done over the nerves that put them at a state of rest! VOILA! No more pain! I walked out of the first visit crying my eyes out cuz it didn't hurt anymore! I don't understand how exactly it works, only that for over 6 months now, I can walk without pain radiating down my legs, and I can sit without any pain at all.
Please check this out if other things don't work.....it can't hurt you so what do you have to lose? That is what I asked myself.....thank God!
Hope you find relief soon, I know what nerve pain is......God Bless
Peanut
[email protected]
Unread 11-30-2001, 12:58 PM
Nerve damage from surgery

I had nerve damage that radiated down both inner thighs when I had bladder surgery years ago. I thought it was there for sure, but guess what - it really did go completely away but it took a very long time - like years. It improved gradually over time and one day I just realized that it was all gone. The same thing happened when I had oral surgery and had nerve damage. So do what you can - massage therapy helped me some - to feel better, and know that there's a good chance it won't last for the rest of your life.

Shanti
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-30-2001, 01:19 PM
I do...

I'll post my story here...

It took almost a year for me to be properly diagnosed. I, too, have nerve damage from the surgery. To cope, I see a pain clinic once a month. There's really nothing else that can be done about my condition. In addition to nerve damage, I also have RSD located on the trunk which is fairly rare.

If you need to talk, feel free to email me.

PS - I'm going to move this post to the Road Less Traveled where you will encounter more people with long term post op complications.Nerve Damage Post Hyst:
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...?threadid=6823
Adrite and Endo Part Duex:
https://hystersisters.com/vb2/showthr...threadid=23443
https://hystersisters.com/vb2/showthr...428#post187428
Nerve Damage Statistics 7-10% during hysterectomy to femoral nerve
http://medhlp.netusa.net/forums/neur...ive/12786.html
http://medhlp.netusa.net/forums/neur...ive/16592.html -
Med Help Quote:
  Quote:
Injury to the femoral nerve is a recognized complication during abdominal, pelvic, inguinal and hip operations.
The most common surgical cause associated with femoral nerve injury has been abdominal hysterectomy,
(7.5-10% incidence quoted). Source - Med Help Neurology Forum at the Cleveland Clinic
Unread 11-30-2001, 05:58 PM

I have some minor nerve damage on the left. It feels like it goes kinda from my TAH incision, around my hip, and to my lower back. My doc said the same as yours - "It'll probably go away..." I've had other minor nerve damage (from breaking my nose) and it took at least a year for it to feel normal.

It's getting right close to a year after my hyst, and I can still feel the hip thing a little. It's worse if I'm tired, but it's always there just a tiny bit - not as bad as what you described. From the pattern of the feeling (wrapping around my side like that) my chiropractor agreed with my gyn that it was a nerve thing.

I've considered going to an acupuncturist to see if there's anything they could do about it, but it really doesn't bug me much. You might think about that option though. I have no idea if acupuncturists can treat that kind of thing, but it could be worth a phone call to ask.
Unread 12-01-2001, 03:03 AM

Hi Ladies
I am only 6 weeks post op and am experiencing the same thing. I talked to a friend of mine who is an RN also had a hyst. Haven't spoke with her for quite some time, anyway I asked her about this pain in my legs and groin, she said it's from the blood flow. When they remove your uterus, they have to re-route the blood blood flow that was once going to your female organs and now back to your your legs and all the muscles that were cut etc. said it takes quite awhile to get over. It makes sense to me. Hopefully it's true. Also asked dr at 6 wk check up he didn't get as specific but said you had major surgery its going to take awhile to feel good. hope this helps you. It did me.
Unread 12-03-2001, 08:29 AM

Hi Pineapple,

I could not believe your post. It was like looking into a mirror!
I have the same thing. My job requires that I sit 5 hours
during the say and my second job working at home, another
3 or 4. Some days I find the pain excruciating, not to mention embarassing. How do you explain this type of pain to people/family and co-workers!

I am so tired of complaining that I just don't know what to do.

I had the pain pre-surgery and also hoped the surgery would help. I also had TVH BSO and rectocele repair. The pain feels
like a "weakness" in the vaginal/rectal/thigh area including only the right side. I had a traumatic birth 11 lb baby and huge
episiotomy at the time and things have never been the same.
Doctor said he has never seen anyone injured to this extent from
childbirth and I could be written up in the medical books. Anyway,
it is called pudendal neuropathy or perineal neuropathy, but since the rectocele repair (also had huge rectocele from literally pushing my insides out for the traumatic labor), thinks have gone downhill. I even saw a colorectal doctor (male doctor, which was totally humiliating, I won't even go there!).

I guess my next stop is physical therapy also....but how embarassing. I just don't know how I am going to deal.

I have tried things on my own....losing some weight, light exercises to help improve tone, as even putting on panyhose is a struggle right now.

Let me know how you make out! Good luck.

< **Admin note** Email removed for privacy pls contact using the Websites email or PM features>

if you wantto write....vent, or whatever!

Nel
Unread 12-08-2001, 08:39 PM
I love you guys!!

I knew I wasn't crazy and all the male doctors were looking at me like I was crazy. As if they had never heard of such a thing. My GYN was even acting as if it was in my head.

I did go to physical therapy. The clinic is for "women's" physical therapy. And I am very impressed. I really didn't know what they could do but she did a lot of testing - A lot more than the neurologist -- and found a group of muscles that are in spasm. She tried a number of things to reproduce the pain I feel. She thought she was on the right track but said she could reach them better from "the inside" (if you get the picture). She hit the side of my virgina and I thought I was coming off the table. She then had me do some contractions and releases and touched the same place and it was MUCH less painful.

She now has me doing a set of 15 contractions and releases 3-4 times a day. She's also shown me some release points and streachs I can do.

She said she's seen this type of thing before and feels she can really help me. She was right though when she said I'd be hurting the next day. I'd also stopped taking the Neurontin to see if it was making any difference. Let me tell you it WAS. I'm know really listening to my body and I feel that it's not just nerve or muscle damage - I think it's both. The nerve pain is more in the front on my groin and leg and the muscle is deeper inside.

I think I'm on the way to recovery - but I know, as you all have said, it is going to take a long time.

Joyneau - What is Bowen therapy? That is a new one on me. I'll look it up on the net - I'll try ANYTHING to get rid of this pain. I'm going to try infrared sauna next week just as an overall "feel" good / pamper myself thing, but it is said to help your body heal. And since it's finally turned cold here is St. Louis it will feel extra good.
Unread 12-08-2001, 09:17 PM

Bowen therapy is much like acupressure only SOOOO much gentler! It is done by a series of gentle rolling moves over the muscles, nerves and fascia. It puts these at rest so healing and relaxation can occur. It is the only thing that helped my back problems and nerve pain.
I have three discs that are either herniated or bulging....two were on the verge of being so paiinful,,,I couldn't walk for more than ten minutes. With two kids....this jsut doesn't work! Tow orthopedists and one neurologist all said surgery. I said no because my dh went through this surgery and it hurt so severly...it stabilized his spine, but did nothing for the pain or nerve burning. I didn't want that to happen to me!
I tried the other things.....acupuncture, acupressure, chiropractic etc......nothing worked. Then I started having severe pain with my uterine prolapse. It was all just too much! That is when I gave in and tried bowen therapy. I was so relaxed I was giddy and fell asleep on the way home! My pain was gone. No pelvic pain, no back pain for the first time in yrs. Oh it comes back now and again and back I go! Anyway....it is all over the net...and you are of course welcome to write me and I will do what I can to give you more info.
I don't' mean to sound like a commercial....it is just after my hyster....i hurt so bad with so many complications....bowen was the only thing that stopped it....and I was grateful cuz I am allergic to so many drugs.
Good Luck and God Bless
Peanut
[email protected]
Unread 12-08-2001, 10:26 PM

NEL
READ YOUR POST TWICE. YOU'RE PROBLEMS (VAGINAL,RECTAL,
THIGH PAIN) ARE WHAT I'VE EXPERIENCED SINCE HAVING MY
SECOND SON-10 YEARS NOW. UNLIKE YOU, I HAD 2 C-SECTIONS,
BUT THE PAIN BEGAN DURING THE 6 MONTH OF PREGNANCY.
MY NOW EX-HUSBAND PUSHED THE RIGHT KNEE TOWARDS MY
RT. SHOULDER. WAS 6 WEEKS LIMPING. NEVER PAIN FREE FOR
LONG. LIKE YOU, I COULDN'T SIT FOR LONG WITHOUT PAIN.
jUST WORSENED WITH THE YEARS.
LAST YEAR, I COULDN'T
DRIVE FOR MORE THAN 30 MINUTES. AFTER THE HYSTERECTOMY
THINGS HAVE BEEN MUCH BETTER, THO THE ACHE IS STILL THERE.
MAYBE JOYNEAU'S BOWEN THERAPY IS THE CURE!!
ANYWAY, JUST WANTED TO SAY I'M GRATEFUL FOR THE INFO
YOU INCLUDED IN YOUR POST. 4 DOCTORS COULDN'T DIAGNOSE
BEYOND "MUSCULAR-SKELETAL INJURY." HERE YOU ARE WITH
A BONAFIDE NAME FOR THE PAIN.
THANKS
LEIGH

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register