Input Please - Just Diagnosed With Breast Cancer | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - No Hormones - Managing Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Input Please - Just Diagnosed With Breast Cancer Input Please - Just Diagnosed With Breast Cancer

Unread 06-14-2011, 11:22 PM
Input Please - Just Diagnosed With Breast Cancer

Am six months post LAVH BSO and was doing great on estradiol. Was shocked to be diagnosed with ductal carcinoma in situ in my right breast. I could do lumpectomy followed by 8 weeks of radiation, but am considering strongly having bilateral mastectomy with reconstruction. Anyone out there going through this, been through it, anything safe to help with symptoms? My estrogen and progesterone receptor tests both came back positive so I've been told no one will ever prescribe hormones for me again. I am becoming quite distraught and surgeon wants to operate right away. Am mostly concerned with trying to decide what surgery to have. Maternal grandmother had breast cancer also. Don't know father's side's history. Thanks for any help and support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-15-2011, 05:12 PM
Re: Input Please - Just Diagnosed With Breast Cancer

Hi Ready - so sorry about your diagnosis, but glad you are here. I was diagnosed with DCIS last January (2010) I remember the doctor telling me I could have a lumpectomy or mastectomy and I was like if the cancer is confined to a milk duct - why do I want a mastectomy?? I finally decided in 10 minutes because she wanted to do the surgery the next day, to have a lumpectomy. (I had one the week before and that is how they find the cancer, she went back in to get a wider margin) I then had 35 radiation treatments and now I am on TAmoxifen - I am also ER/PR + - which is a good thing! I am scheduled for a hysterectomy Monday, June 20 and am excited. I had no history of breast cancer in my family, but I lost my Dad to bile duct cancer just one year before minus 7 days!!!
My advice go with you gut and do what is best for you! Sending positive, happy thoughts your way, I know exactly how you feel!!
Unread 06-15-2011, 07:20 PM

I'd suggest a 2nd opinion for yourself. When my relative recently had BC we researched (for her type ca, which may be different) but that was just lay research, not Drs opinions. They offered her a 2nd opinion and suggested she get one, which seems like good advice. I know things seem so rushed when you hear the word cancer but it's worth it to get another opinion before you have a surgery. I'm sorry you are dealing with all this. There is a lot of info on and support for women with BC, is one thing to know. Take one day at a time and you will get through this. Sending support and hugs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-24-2011, 03:24 AM

Hi Ready. I'm sorry to read about your diagnosis! I am a 3 year breast cancer survivor. I found a lump myself when I was 30 in Feb. of 2008. After all the testing and biopsy it was confirmed I had stage I invasive ductal carcinoma. I chose a lumpectomy, chemo (4 months worth) and 33 radiations. Have been in remission ever since. I did the BRACA gene testing this year and tested positive for BRCA1. I just had a supracervical hysterectomy and still need a bilateral mastectomy. Of course now I wish I would have done the mastectomy back in 2008. The tumor I had was triple negative so it was not hormone fed, but my oncologist still does not want me on hormones so I am taking Estroven.

Anyway, you said the surgeon wants to operate right away. Do you have an oncologist? If not, find one you like and trust. You need a game plan before you figure out what surgery to have. Also, what kind of surgeon wants to operate so quickly? Is it a breast surgeon? I would get someone who specializes in breast surgeries, not just a general surgeon. Ask for recommendations if you can. I got my breast surgeon and plastic surgeons' names from my hairdresser. If you are thinking of reconstruction after a mastectomy, have you visited with a plastic surgeon to find out your option of implants or using your own skin and tissue? You could do immediate reconstruction or always do it later. Once you have radiation, reconstruction may be harder healing wise and that's what I'm about to face. Find out if you have a mastectomy if you can skip radiation. Honestly, I have a ton of radiation damage. I now have lymphedema in my arm, chest and breast. It's painful and you can tell by just looking, especially my tricep area. If you have any questions or want to message me, please do. I'm an open book about any knowledge and experiences I have with breast cancer.
Unread 06-24-2011, 10:05 PM

Thanks so much to all of you for sharing your wisdom and support. I appreciate it more than words can say. Will let you know what I decide. Thanks again.
Unread 06-25-2011, 06:17 AM

Good Morning,
So sorry about your cancer diagnosis. With all the information I know you are taking in on your treatments...don't forget about nutrition. Please look into this as it will have an impact. Our foods are drowning in chemicals that do not help us. TRUE organic foods help our bodies heal and regenerate. Anything we put on or in our bodies has an affect on our health. Chemicals are in everything...food, water, lotions, toothpaste.
I hope this helps you in your recovery and those that you know you and can learn from you.
GOD BLESS

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register