no-one prepared me for surgical menopause | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

no-one prepared me for surgical menopause no-one prepared me for surgical menopause

Unread 06-20-2011, 01:54 AM
Unhappy - no-one prepared me for surgical menopause no-one prepared me for surgical menopause

Hi All
I'm five days post LAVH and my ovaries had to be removed. My surgeon put me on 1mg of Estrogen three days ago however by yesterday I felt like I was living in someone else's body. The hot flashes, sleep disruptions (partly due to being woken by HUGE hot flashes) and I felt really weird- sort of anxious, moody and depressed all together. Very unpleasant. Anyway a doctor friend of mine said I should double the estrogen to 2mg until I see my surgeon on Thurs and I must say that this has helped in the last 12 hours, although I have constant mild nausea but I'll live with it! I never thought hormones would be the big issue for me and had focused on possible surgical complications which luckily are non-existent so far. I wonder if any others have shared my experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-21-2011, 05:06 PM
Re: no-one prepared me for surgical menopause

I can relate. I never thought to ask my doctor about menopause symptoms. A patch was placed on my lower hip area shortly after surgery and that was that. I don't recall exactly when it was, but I started getting very hot and than the mood swings started. I thought "what the heck is happening to me?"

I can laugh about it now, but remember having a breakdown when my in-laws were in town. I woke up in the morning and thought to myself "this is going to be a bad day", not sure how I knew but I knew. Dh of course thought I was kidding and kiddingly pushed my buttons. Needless to say I had an emotional breakdown in front of my inlaws. Everyone just kind of stood there and stared while I screamed at everyone, than ran upstairs to the safety of my bedroom and had a good cry. Than there was the I literally bawled watching The Brady Bunch.

One thing I have learned is that this process can take time. The body is going thru a major change. You have stored reserves of hormones which can take some time to use up. Not to mention the stress on your body from the surgery itself. This can cause hormone fluctuations which can cause symptoms.

I don't know if there is a right or a wrong, but I would hesitate to do too much tweaking at this point.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register