New Diagnosis | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New Diagnosis New Diagnosis

Unread 12-02-2001, 12:53 AM
New Diagnosis

Hi - I'm new here. This seems like a wonderful, supportive place.

I just turned 33 years old. In October, I received abnormal pap results. I went back for a colposcopy. Visual exam showed no abnormalities, but the scrapings came back positive. I went back in on Tuesday for a LEEP. The pathology came back showing CIN II-III, moderate-severe dysplasia, microinvasive squamous carcinoma. I've never had health problems - this is all new to me.

The initial reaction from my OB/GYN was hysterectomy - though he did refer me to a Gyn oncologist. There is only one in this state, and she works part time so it is unclear at this point when I will be able to get in to see her. I have started my list of questions for her.

My husband of 3 years and I had just decided we'd like to start a family. In fact, we sought preconception counselling when I had the pap. Are there treatment options available to me that will retain my ability to have a child? Although we had originally thought we'd like to have two children, we would be thrilled with one and would be willing to consider adoption.

I was not sure how I would react to this news. I am much calmer than I would have thought - though I am scared. My focus is on finding out everything I can, and going forward with treatment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-02-2001, 01:05 AM
Hi

Hi - I recently found myself with a very scary cancer situation. I live in Anchorage too. My doctor is Ruth Higdon. She is a gynecologist/onocologist. She practices at Providence. She works full time, sometimes even living at Providence. If you would like to email me, please do so.

[email protected]

Take Care- RobinS
Unread 12-02-2001, 01:09 AM
New Diagnosis

Hi there pualani, so glad that you found us and yes it is a wonderfully supportive place.

Sorry that you have been diagnosed with the CIN 11/111. I too had this , mine was classified aggressive.
The best thing to do before you see the Gyn is to read and ask questions so that you are very well informed and then after discussion with the Dr you can make a decision that you are comfortable with. Seeing an oncologist is a great idea, that way you will know exactly what you are dealing with.

Awhile ago , someone posted about a procedure where you are able to keep the uterus only having the cervix removed. I dont know a thing about this but did find the thread for you so that you can read it. I dont think it is a common procedure.

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...threadid=39396

Being diagnosed with this is a scary thing and it is normal to feel that way, but you do survive this as it is so very early. Dont forget we have all travelled this path , with different degrees and treatments. We all know how you are feeling and are here to help and support you in any way we can. Take care and please let us know how you go
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-02-2001, 08:05 AM
New Diagnosis

Thank you Robin -
Dr Higdon is the doctor I am being referred to. I will drop you an email.

~Gina
Unread 12-02-2001, 08:09 AM
New Diagnosis

Thanks Robyn - for the support and information.
Yes, I have a lot of research to do. Just another bump in the road down my path....
Unread 12-02-2001, 05:21 PM
New Diagnosis

Hello,

My Leep came back as cinIII last August. I did alot of research. My doctor gave me the option of cold knife cone or TVH.I'm 26 but , I already have a child so I'm going for the TVH in December.I heard about the operation that will remove your cervix and leave your uterus but, it's not done in the U.S. yet. I remember when I first found out the results of the Leep, I was in shock.It did not seem real because my only symptom was pain with intercourse. I put off the biopsy for five years because I was scared and did not believe anything was wrong. Well I've learned that was a mistake.I'm just glad I was brave and lucky enough to get the biopsy before it was more advanced cancer.Just research and talk with your doctor. I wish you luck with your decision what ever you choose.

Best Wishes,

Gretchen
Unread 12-03-2001, 04:27 AM
New Diagnosis

I just wanted to welcome you to the site!! I'm sure that you have already realized what wonderful women are here! We are a cheering section, , a group of prayer givers, , and a reminder of what shouldn't be done,
What more could you ask for?
Unread 12-03-2001, 07:32 AM
New Diagnosis

Thank you Gretchen - It's oddly comforting to know that this is not uncommon. I guess there's comfort in numbers.

I haven't had any symptoms. This really did come as a complete shock. I was always good about getting annual paps, but I am now a major cheerleader for annuals!

~Gina
Unread 12-03-2001, 07:33 AM
New Diagnosis

Thanks for the welcome Cyd -

I'm doing okay with keeping a positive attitude - it's just tough to play the waiting game...

~Gina
Unread 12-03-2001, 10:16 AM
New Diagnosis

The wait is always the worst....be it waiting for surgery or test results! Just remember that you have all of us here to help you through!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register