Pre-Cancer: Making the Right Choice | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Making the Right Choice Making the Right Choice

Unread 06-24-2011, 04:08 PM
Making the Right Choice

Hello! I am new to this forum but very happy to find it! I am struggling with making the right treatment choice and my husband is not the best person for support with this. He does not understand what I'm going through. I am thankful there is a site like this for that female support I need.

I had my first experience with cervical pre-cancer 8 years ago. It ended with a leep that had clear margins however I had level zero squamous cells in my tissue.

A few months ago the bad cells came back. I had a leep with clear margins again but found out I had adenocarcinoma in situ mixed in my removed tissue. My doctor recommended a simple hysterectomy (removal of cervix and uterous). I have done a lot of research and this is the best option for me but I am struggling with going through with it.

I thought I was ok with not having any more kids, hubby has had a vasectomy but I'm finding myself really upset with making this permanent for me. I'm not emotionally ready to do the sugury but I'm scared of what will happen if I don't.

Thanks for listening and offering your support!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-24-2011, 05:26 PM
Re: Making the Right Choice

Blue S, I just read your post and I wonder how old u are. If huby has had a vasectomy then I assume kids are not the problem. From my own experience, I wish I had it done before I got cancer. Having a cancer dx is the worse thing and it turns your life upside down and it can end your life. The surgery will be over and you can go on with your life free of worry about cancer! Glad you found this site. It is a good source of support and information.
Unread 06-24-2011, 06:10 PM

Thank you for the response! I am 32. Hubby had the vasectomy before we met. You're right, the kids thing is only part of the issue. Maybe I all of a sudden want one because I wont be able to have one. But there is a part of me that always thought I wanted 1 more.

I'm worried about side effects of surgery, about recovery, and there's a part of me that worries that I might have more of these cells further in my cervix. I'm worried about this coming back later as cancer of the vagina or worse. Everything that I read about adenocarcinoma is that is really unpredictable. I could never have a problem again or it could come back at any time and progress quickly.

Please keep in mind that my margins were clean so my doctor says although there is a small chance I have more of these cells further up my cervix, it is unlikely. It is highly likely this will recur.

I've thought about having a second opinion for peace of mind but when I research my condition what my doctor is suggesting we do does seem to be the normal recommended treatment. I can't find any alternative treatment for adeno cells. She does an up-to-date surgery with minimal scarring. She said we can do paps every 3 months with a larger cervix scraping and coloscopy every 6 months if I'm not ready for the surgery.

This is a hard descision for me. I have never had major surgery before. My husband wants me to do it but he said it is my body and my descision. He will support whatever one I make.

I have days where I feel great like I can go through with it and days where I just want to cry. I know I'm very lucky to have caught this in time and my heart goes out to everyone who has had to deal with full blown cancer. I don't know why I am having such a hard time with this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-24-2011, 06:33 PM

Sweetie,
This is a very hard decision for any woman and even more so for a young woman to make. Perhaps you may want to seek out that second opinion and I'd suggest you consider consulting with a gyn/onc who are the cancer experts. S/he may help you make this important decision possibly even preventing you from having second thoughts after it may be too late.

Please ask any question here as the CC women will gladly share their experiences, etc. Please keep us posted. I know as you gather more facts and information it will be easier to come to the right decision for you. Good luck.
Unread 06-25-2011, 12:09 AM

(((BlueScorpio)))

I'm with peggiesue on consulting a gyn/onc. It's always a good idea to get a second opinion, and they are the experts. If preserving fertility is indeed a primary concern, there is a procedure called a trachelectomy which the gyn/onc could discuss with you as well.

It sounds like you've done a fair amount of research and have a good understanding as to how and why AIS is treated. It is definitely something to be taken seriously. Yes, surgery and all that entails is scary. But, my personal belief is to do whatever gives us the best shot at being around as long as possible.

monami

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register