To keep the Cervix or not to keep the cervix? That is the question. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

To keep the Cervix or not to keep the cervix?  That is the question. To keep the Cervix or not to keep the cervix? That is the question.

Unread 06-28-2011, 04:51 PM
To keep the Cervix or not to keep the cervix? That is the question.

Hello All-

I have weighed my options about having a hysterectomy for a looong time. I have made the decision to do so, but my OBGYN needs me to decide if I want to keep my cervix or not. I have all normal PAP smears so that is not an issue. He basically told me in my situation the only advantage to taking the cervix would be if there were any issues with it later on that removing the cervix then is a much more difficult procedure. This was his answer when I asked him if he had a preference for keeping the cervix or not.

My reason for having the surgery is fibroid tumors. I am 43, done with kids and just plain can't deal with the symptoms of these fibroids any longer. My uterus is about the size of a 14 to 16 week pregnancy. And the rest of the symptoms have gotten to the point that I can no longer deal with it.

So any of you ladies have any thoughts or feelings on this matter? This is the one thing holding me up to set the date of surgery. Any insights you have to offer will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-28-2011, 04:59 PM
Re: To keep the Cervix or not to keep the cervix? That is the question.

I am in the process of answering the same question, though my doctor allowed me to set the date before deciding. They have scheduled me for vaginal (lose cervix) but left enough time if I choose laproscopic. I haven't had a chance to talk it over with him yet at all I think is why. I have my pre-op appt. July 19th and that will be when I make my decision.

I have heard that *some* women have a harder time reaching orgasm without their cervix and that it can also lead to further pelvic floor issues such as bladder problems, prolapse etc.

For the choice is vaginal or laproscopic and the only advantage I see to vaginal is avoiding incisions and the gas they pump into you. Though my doctor may be able to enlighten me when I talk to him.
Unread 06-28-2011, 06:12 PM

When they take your cervix you will get a cuff and have to deal with the sutures and longer recovery time. Yes there are some people who have issues with prolapses but that is the minority. With the cervix remaining they will have to cauterize it in the hopes that you do not get mini-periods, I think the percentage is somewhere under 12% and under for those. Also, you will still have to have paps annually. Additionally, alot of women have the same issues with orgasm after the surgery whether or not they have their cervix. There are some excellant articles on this site about both sides of the issue that could be very informative for you both. Ultimately the decision is up to you and you should do whatever procedure you and your dr are the most comfortable with. Good luck to both of you! (((hugs)))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-28-2011, 06:27 PM

Something else to think about is that keeping the cervix is less invasive than removing it. The recovery seems to be a tiny bit easier because, as stated before, you are not dealing with a vaginal cuff. The stitches are way up inside of you instead of being at the top of your vagina. I had fibroids and decided to keep my cervix due to the above reasons. I was/am fully aware that fibroids may grow on my cervix because it is part of the uterus and not a separate organ. As well, I was/am aware that mini-periods were/are a possibility. My surgeon does not cauterize the cervix as he feels it can increase the number of adhesions. At almost 8 months post-op, I don't have any mini-periods. Sex is the very same for me. In the end, I am quite happy about my decision. If my cervix needs to be removed in the future, then so be it. It might make it more difficult for the surgeon, but in the meantime, my quality of life is excellent.
Unread 06-28-2011, 06:38 PM

I had my supra cervical hysterectomy (60% uterine fibroids and endometriosis) last June and decided to keep my cervix because my doctor did not see any reason to have it removed. 6 months later I was still having monthly spotting due to endometriosis. After returning to the doctor, he informed that in approx. 2% of women with endometriosis will have continued issues with monthly bleeding post hysterectomy. Needless to say on March 8, 2011, I had to have my cervix removed. From both surgeries I was back to work at my desk job within a matter of weeks. With the cervix removal, the cuff suturing took a little longer to heal before I was released for all activities. I now feel great and wish I had it all done at once...instead of 2 major surgeries in less than a year. If you also have endometriosis...I would recommend having your cervix removed.
Unread 06-28-2011, 06:53 PM

Hi! I am 42 years old and I had a supracervical hysterectomy due to a 6 inch fibroid, which I have now named Franky. Since there was nothing wrong with my cervix my doctor gave me the same choice. My doctor said if I kept my cervix I would have a smaller wound. Therefore, she would not have to put stitches in me. She would just cauterize the end that she detached from my uterus. She also said that it would help one not get constipated. I believe her, on day 4 out of the hospital I was functioning normally. Lastly, I have been told (not by my doctor) that leaving it in will help continue pleasurable sex. I will not be able to test that for another 6 weeks. Hope this was helpful. You ultimately have to make the decision that it right for you. Good Luck.
Unread 06-28-2011, 08:06 PM

I went back and forth with this and in the end decided to have mine taken out when I have my surgery. I don't want to deal with spotting monthly, and I have endo which my Dr said could still be in my cervix after the surgery and I could continue having pain. A plus for me is no more paps yearly and no risk of cervical cancer. My Dr said the chance of prolapse is the same with or without the cervix intact, if it's going to happen, it's going to happen. I have also talked to a couple women that had theirs removed and they say everything is fine and they would do it all the same if they had to do it over again.
Unread 06-28-2011, 08:08 PM

I'm having a TAH, with my cervix leaving. I'm only keeping my overies as long as there is nothing wrong with them. My doctor gave me the choice, but I want it gone. With the problems I've had with periods in the past 3 years, I don't want to take the chance of mini periods. Plus with the scaring I have, I'm actually hoping sex will be better without it because it hurts now when some thing touches it.
Unread 06-28-2011, 08:33 PM

Ok, I am confused ,after reading this I had the davanci and all I know is when I spoke to the doctor I was pretty medicated and I dont know what he took ,he said he took it all so I may have had my cervics removed,even though we had talk about saving 1 ovary ,but he said there was nothing worth saving.My apt. is on the
6th so there are lots of new questions .
Unread 06-28-2011, 09:57 PM

Hi Cindicator, I was just as confused as you were prior to my surgery. My first thought was to have it all removed, less to get cancer later. My DR wanted to save at least 1 ovary (wasn't sure on what the fibroids had invaded), I agreed with that and still was thinking of having my cervix removed.

Truthfully, when I started reading posts on here about cervical cuff problems and sex challenges I started getting scared. Then I spoke with my relatives in Europe who insisted that the cervix must remain to hold up the bladder...now I was scared and confused.

I had a long talk with my DR. She felt that there was no reason to take a healthy organ. That to not remove the cervix would make for an easier surgery and recovery. That cervical cancer is one of the easiest to detect, all it takes is a yearly pap smear. That should my cervix need to be removed later she could do it non-invasively (her specialty, my massive fibroids wouldn't allow it for my hysterectomy to be done non-invasively). She didn't agree with the bladder support reason, felt it was not proven. Essentially that it was up to me.

I took some time to think about it. The problematic posts about surgical cuffs scared the **** out of me. The thought of starting to remove body parts because of cancer fears was non-sensical, where would I stop? I decided to leave the cervix.

My recovery was without challenges. My pain was minimum, was off the pain pump in the hospital after 24 hrs. Only had to take 3 prescription pain pills when I got home, Advil & Aleve were enough. Was back to work (including traveling for business) after 4 weeks. Sex has been great (waiting the 6 weeks was the hardest part). I have had 2 of "what would have been my periods", with the 3rd on its way and have had no mini-periods. (In fact, I had no discharge from the surgery, woke up with a pad on, didn't need one after that.)

Regardless of which way you decide, you have to be secure with your decision. Weigh your options, give it lots of thought. I was secure in my decision so I'm happy with the outcome.

Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register