No hormones prescribed yet - is this normal? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

No hormones prescribed yet - is this normal? No hormones prescribed yet - is this normal?

Unread 06-29-2011, 08:37 PM
No hormones prescribed yet - is this normal?

I had my hysterectomy on May 25th, my doctor did not prescribe anykind of hormones yet, is this normal....I have been depressed for several weeks..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-29-2011, 09:54 PM
Re: No hormones prescribed yet - is this normal?

Hi Susan!

Have you discussed the use of hormone therapy with your doctor? Is there a reason it wasn't prescribed at the time of your surgery? I started on hormone therapy the day following my surgery and have been using it ever since--over 9 years ago.

Be sure to let your doctor know about feeling depressed and about any other symptoms you have. You can discuss with your doctor the pros and cons of using hormone therapy and decide what's best for you. There's information to help in this link: Hormone Jungle Articles.

Let us know what your doctor says, okay?

Unread 06-30-2011, 05:16 AM
Red face - No hormones prescribed yet - is this normal? Re: No hormones prescribed yet - is this normal?

I did ask at my 2week post op about if the depression was normal, she said it could be from meds from surgery, give it time.. Well its 5weeks post op and the depression has got worse I went back to work this week and unable to concentrate on my job..I go back to doctor in 2weeks so hopefully she will have mercy on me and prescribe something then....Its been tuff but it will get better one day at a time...Thanks for listening....This website has been a blessing for me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-07-2011, 06:44 AM

Hi Susan, My doctor didn't prescribe anything either. At my 6 week checkup I was not experiencing any major symptoms except daily headaches. Dr. said I was probably one of the lucky ones and wouldn't have typical menopaus symptoms. By 8 weeks I was miserable and by 11 I was in tears crying when I called the office. She put me on .09mg of Enjuvia. I cut the pill in half (because of all I read about taking the most minimal dose possible). I was fine in a day. I probably could have handled the "sweats" but combined with the headache for 11 weeks I had had it. Read up on HRT and then talk to your doctor. As we've all probably learn, you have to be proactive. Ask questions, that's what they're there for. Good luck.
Unread 07-07-2011, 11:19 AM

Went today for my 6week final checkup, we talked about the crying and depression and hotflashes mine aren't bad yet, she gave me 2 options one was hormones which she went thru all the side effects 1st, and I was like whats my 2nd option she said anti-depressants, which I am gong to try and see if that helps 1st till I look and read up on the hormone options..She said they won't totally help with hot flashes but will relieve all the other symptons...
Unread 07-07-2011, 12:37 PM

Lurleen. I had my surgery May 11th and at my 6 week appt my Doc wrote a low dose enjuvia rx for me. He gave me samples too. That was the end of June. I have not taken it yet......I guess I'm afraid. I'm not too bad off. I did in about 2 weeks after surgery have headaches....one for 7 days. The hot flashs are usually at night in bed....then maybe 1 or 2 in the day time. I don't sleep through the night anymore....wish I could.I'm taking over the counter estroven at night. All the talk of hormones is scary with the side effects. Then again they say we NEED it for our bones and heart desease.....I don't get it?? Is it bad or is it not.I'm confused....I know there is someting like 3 hormones we need....estrogen, progesturine, and testoterone. ( spelling ?? ) I did read that when women go through menopause their choles levels go up at least 10 points...I'm a healthy women who watchs fat intake and I exercise too !I have no other health problems. Did enjuvia work fast with the sleep ? Are you worried?
Unread 07-07-2011, 01:09 PM

So if I don't take hormones will I get all that I need for bones ect..I take a womans multi vitamin and I eat healthy and drink the milk everyday...and exercise...
Unread 07-11-2011, 01:42 PM

I am nervous about taking the hormones. But I read up on it and asked lots of questions. At my year checkup I talked to the doctor about HRT and I said what I found out was "****ed if you do, ****ed if you don't. Take hormones and increase your rist of breast cancer, don't take hormones and be at greater risk for heart disease and osteoporosis." She said I was exactly right and factor in your quality of life. I was having headaches every day for 11 weeks. That was definitely affecting my quality of life. Then she told me she was taking the Enjuvia so I figured if she thought it was safe enough I'd give it a try and it really works. Try cutting the pill and half and see if you get any benefit from it.
Unread 07-11-2011, 02:36 PM

Thanks for the information on the Hormones, if my anti-depresants doesn't work, I will need to start taking one, and if your doctor is taking them she must feel good about them..my doctor just went on about the side effects of breast cancer too..Alot of women I work with take them and have no issues...so we will see..Hope your recovery is going well otherwise!
Unread 07-11-2011, 02:47 PM

I just had my 2nd hysterversary (that's why I checked in, Hystersisters sends you a happy anniversary greeting) Anyway, two years, and I can say it's the best thing I ever did. Give the anitdepressant a little time but if you don't feel like it's cured you of the depression try the Enjuvia, you will feel like a new person. All those symptoms like headaches, mood swings, crying jags, foggy brain, memory loss, and fatigue will disappear with the hormones. It really is remarkable and start with the lowest dose possible. Best of luck, Laura

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register