Costs? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 12-03-2001, 08:04 PM
Costs?

I have just found this incredible site and am so grateful for all the information on it. I am having a TVH in two weeks. I found a link somewhere here (although I can't seem to get back to it) that gave some average costs. I found the costs a little lower than the ones quoted by my doctor, but in the same ballpark. My real problem is the hospital cost. I'm being quoted around $12,000 for the two days I will be there. That is WAY higher than the cost posted here. Can someone help me with that? Is that reasonable based on what those who have already undergone the procedure paid?

Thanks in advance for your help and thanks again for this wonderful website.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-03-2001, 08:32 PM
regional influences

I have to guess that most likely it will vary price wise depending upon where you live. I guess this because I am a doula, a professional labor support provider for during childbirth. In my area the cost of a doula is between $2-400 dollars, depending upon experinece, but in California it is $800-1000! I imagine it will vary depending upon area, hospital ( public versus private), etc and so forth....

Was I helpful in the least? I just hoped that a reply would get your post bumped up and more girls will notice it!!

Staci
Unread 12-04-2001, 04:34 AM
Costs?

Hi Duffy,

I'm glad you have found us before your surgery - I didn't until the night before, and I had lots of questions that I wished I could have asked in advance.

I had a TVH, and was in the hospital for one night - went in at 6 AM one morning and out after lunch the next, so am not sure if they considered it one or two days. Anyway, the hospital charge was $8,700.00. (That did not include the doctor or anesthesiologist).

At that time, I had a PPO plan with a deductible and co-pay, so after the insurance paid their 80% of UCR, I was left with a bill of a little over $1200.00. (Now I have an HMO plan).

Hope this helps - good luck with your surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-04-2001, 07:39 AM
Costs?

Hi Duffy,

I couldn't find the link you were looking at either..but that doesn't mean it isn't here! I am still finding things of interest out here! You might try contacting your insurance company. They should be able to give you average costs for your area/hospital. If you do not have insurance, then you could probably contact a local insurance board for the information. Happy hunting!
Unread 12-04-2001, 09:05 AM
Hi there!

I'm one of the unfortunate ones without insurance, and it may have even been my link that you saw!

My hospital bill (4 nights, got to preop about 6 a.m.) was right at 9,000. My anethesiologist's fees were 3,300, pathology reports were around 1,200, surgeon's assistant was 900, and the surgeon himself was 3,000. (my latest bill from him shows that he has added another 1800 for the Burch repair, but going in he told me the 3,000 included everything!)

On top of all these, I have accumulated another 8,000 just in visits to other doctors to try to figure out the cause of continuing pain, ER visits, MRI, Cat scan, blood work, hormones. Gosh when I read this I feel like crying, but what can you do?

As I write this I'm 2 days post-op from a laparoscopic RSO, with adhesion cleanup, and I'm not sure how much that will cost. It was done on kindof an emergency basis Sunday night.

I hope you get everything figured out, and take care of yourself!

Stacey (TAH w/Burch and appendectomy) 8-28-01
(RSO w/adhesion removal) 12-2-02

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register