HELP Quick Please! Side Effects of Progesterone??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

HELP Quick Please! Side Effects of Progesterone??? HELP Quick Please! Side Effects of Progesterone???

Unread 07-02-2011, 04:28 PM
HELP Quick Please! Side Effects of Progesterone???

Picked up Compounded Bio Progesterone cream 3% prescription from our most well known and knowledgeable pharmacy yesterday.

Talked to Pharmacist for 45 minutes about my symptoms and health problems and surgery.

We know I need Progesterone, and believe I am Estrogen Dominant even though I barely have any Estrogen either.

This place uses a gel type cream that only has 4 very hypo-allergenic ingredients.

Pharmacist told me to start small with a 1/16 of tsp dose at bedtime only for a few days.

I was so looking forward to being able to sleep better and have less anxiety as the Estrogen Patch alone seems to be making my moods, sleep, and skin (dry) way worse.

Put the cream on inside of my thigh as instructed, right before bed.

About 10 minutes after laying down by scalp started to tingle, not really an itch, but more like the feeling you get when you use a menthol muscle rub.

The tingle progressed until it was most of my body and everything was on super alert mode. Noises seemed really loud and just felt like I needed to crawl out of my skin.

Got up, no hives or redness or irritation anywhere, took some antihistamine. Tried to go to bed.

Sleep didn't work, only got a couple hours of not so good snoozing.

Today I feel like total crud!!! Horrible Nausea, and just run down. And today my legs from knee down are very very itchy.

Called Pharmacy, they said they had never heard of this type of reaction, but they didn't think it was allergic since I had no hives or redness or trouble breathing or anything.

They suggested I wait a day and try an even smaller amount and see what happens.

I'm scared to death now to try it again. I feel so lost. My body is not dealing with Estrogen with no progesterone so if I can't tolerate progesterone I don't know what I'm going to do.

Any input???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-02-2011, 08:44 PM
Re: HELP Quick Please! Side Effects of Progesterone???

Ok,I've been on a compounded progesterone cream for about 6 years prior to my TVH, & been on it since then too. When I first put the cream on, I did feel really odd, tingly sensation throughout my body. Not itchy though, & I didn't have the nausea or feeling horrible. The Dr. told me that the tingling feeling was common in women who were very low in progesterone, apparently it's your body reacting to the sudden influx of progesterone.

The progesterone cream works well for me... it's all I take for hot flashes, anxiety, night sweats, etc., as I didn't react well to estrogen & found that I"m better off with just progesterone. However, my sister tried the compounded cream in combo. with estrogen gel & didn't do well at all on it. She switched to bio-identical progesterone, but in pill form & finds it much better for her.

Hormones are sooo individual, so it's really hard to say, but I just wanted to let you know that I did have alot of weird tingling the first couple times I used it & then that went away.

Good luck!
Unread 07-02-2011, 10:47 PM

If you are low in estrogen, adding progesterone will make the symptoms of low estrogen worse. I know that, for me, when I tried progesterone back when I was trying to lower my estrogen dose, it gave me an electric-like "buzzing" feeling all over, which is my body's equivalent of a hot flash.

Just something to think about.

s,
-Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-03-2011, 12:41 AM

Thank you both so much for your quick replies!

It is an electric tingling like buzz. It just kept me awake all night. I think the lack of sleep is what lead to the nausea and headache and feeling horrible today. I also have major allergies and a Mast Cell Disorder which acts up anytime I do something new, so the rest of today has been spent on antihistamines.

My Estrogen is super low. Before Hyster on June 1, for the past 2 years on day 3 of a cycle my Estradiol was between 8-12 and on day 21 of a cycle it was only 33, according to doc should have been over 100 for someone my age.

Progesterone also low, on day 3 of a cycle lab could not detect any. On the 21 day test it was 4, again way too low!

So I'm super low in both and I also have adrenal insufficiency.

Because the ratio of my estradiol to progesterone, I think I must be Estrogen Dominant which is why I was trying the progest.

They tested my Estradiol last week, 25 days post surgery and on a .05 vivelle dot my Estradiol was only at 16. Doc said it should have been somewhere around 40 which is where they want it. But they don't want me to up my Estrogen without adding any progest because I've been a silly crying moody mess who can't sleep since the surgery and the Vivelle.

Talked to my Gyno this evening and 2 pharmacists, going to wait until Tuesday and then try an even smaller dose of the Progest, earlier in the day, and see if I get the same reaction. If so then no more progest and if I can't adjust to Estrogen without it then I can go off the Estrogen if I want to.

Ugh, can't anything be easy!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register