Feel good except for libido, progesterone? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Feel good except for libido, progesterone? Feel good except for libido, progesterone?

Unread 07-06-2011, 05:29 PM
Feel good except for libido, progesterone?

I am 3 months post-op. I am on the vivelle dot .1 patch. I had a TAH and BSO. I feel good except for my libido! Right after my hysterectomy during recovery I had an increase in my sex drive, however now I have none now. I have heard about progesterone creams and have seen some over the counter. what does progesterone help with? I am trying to be patient with myself, however i am bothered by this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-06-2011, 06:16 PM
Re: Feel good except for libido, progesterone?

You are still early post op. Things could still be adjusting. Your survey indicates you kept 1 or both ovaries.

You can read more about progesterone in the articles at www.hormonejungle.com

Patience is a virtue in the Especially during the early months post op. I learned that one the hard way.

Unread 07-06-2011, 06:37 PM

I ended up losing both ovaries afterall. I will check out the information you suggested. Yes, patience with myself has been difficult! Thank you for your reply. I hope my libido returns in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-08-2011, 10:56 PM

If the low libido continues, you might want to talk with your dr. about adding testosterone.

I wish you well.
Unread 07-16-2011, 05:07 PM

well I called my doctor and he gave me Covaryx HS to take 2 times per week. A little nervous to add this to my Vivelle dot 1 mg. any experience with this?
Unread 07-20-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wal40 View Post
well I called my doctor and he gave me Covaryx HS to take 2 times per week. A little nervous to add this to my Vivelle dot 1 mg. any experience with this?
Hi - I was wondering if you started taking the Cavaryx? It's actually a combo drug - Estratest.. read some pretty compelling info on it. I hope if you have it helped you... I too am on Vivelle 0.1mg, it seems to be taking care of most issues - no hot flashes,mood stability - but my sex drive is decreasing... and it's just not the same.
Was going to call and ask - dr mentioned if sex drive decreased we can try adding something.?

Just wondering if you started it... I may call my dr?? Patience is so difficult to find isn't it?

HUGS!
Unread 07-20-2011, 05:16 PM

Hi Lisa,

Well it took a couple of days for my pharmacy to get the medicine in. My doctor told me to give it about a month. Did you read good things about Covaryx HS?
Unread 07-22-2011, 02:09 PM

Wal40,
I haven't had my hysterectomy yet. I am 54, already in menopause 12 years and have a diagnosis of Complex hyperplasia with atypia (precancer).

All my research points to estrogen dominance as the cause for this condition (there is probably some genetics also).

My 2nd opinion said get the hysterectomy. My third opinion, thinks he can help me turn this around. I am resigned to getting the hysterectomy, but have to think about my breasts and cancer in the future. My hysterectomy isn't even scheduled yet (sometime in late September).

I'm learning that the safest of the 3 estrogens is estriol. I've been on estradiol as part of my HRT for several years. Estradiol is the strongest of the estrogens and helps with hot flashes, but can also have some bad consequences.

Now I am switching to estriol. I found some really good information from MD's on the internet about estriol. It might be able to be compounded with Rx. I can't get it from my ob/gyn. I'm buying it online and using an estriol oil vaginally. It is amazing for vaginal dryness and I'm hoping all the changes I am making will help with hot flashes and bone density.

My 3rd opinion doctor has raised my progesterone level considerably higher than what my HRT doctor was prescribing. Even after hysterectomy progesterone has many wonderful benefits.

I'm currently doing many aggressive things to try and change my situation, but overall, I plan to try and wean myself off the estriol oil in 6-12 months and plan to continue progesterone even after the hysterectomy.

My research has indicated that some of the benefits of progesterone include:

• Maintains the secretory endometrium (won't matter after hysterectomy)
• Protects against fibrocystic breasts
• Helps use fat for energy
• It is a natural diuretic
• Natural anti-depressant / mood enhancer
• Facilitates thyroid hormone action
• Normalises blood clotting
• Restores sex drive
• Normalises blood sugar levels
• Normalises zinc and copper levels
• Restores proper cell oxygen levels
• Prevents endometrial (uterine) cancer (I should have been using this in a higher dosage that what my current doctor had me on to be sure I had no unopposed estrogen)
• Helps prevent breast cancer
• Simulates osteoblast for bone building
• Restores normal vascular tone
• Necessary for the survival of the embryo (won't matter after hysterectomy)
• Precursor of corticosteroids and other hormones
• Modulates other hormones helping to restore balance
• Promotes sleep

I also read an article that said it helps with low basal body temperature, hot flashes and vaginal dryness. Since my 3rd opinion doctor has increased my dosage of progesterone, my foggy mind has cleared, I'm sleeping better at night and my joints don't ache.

Progesterone is the precursor for many other hormones. The Centre for Menstrual Cycle and Ovulation Research (CeMCOR) has some great articles. I think that is where I found an article about using progesterone after hysterectomy.

My plan is to go to my surgery stabilized on a higher dosage of progesterone than I was previously on and use it as a foundation on the other side.

Every person is different with the level that they would need. My 3rd opinion doctor has determined that I am a continuous low anxiety person, a people pleaser and perfectionist. Those personality types have a hard time getting environmental estrogens to process out of their bodies and so the estrogen builds up. I am hyper-sensitive (low tolerance to pain, have allergies, etc). Because that is how my body works, I am aggressively working to get estrogens away from me and a higher dose of progesterone is bringing a level of "normal" to my life.

Maybe I will get a miracle and won't need the surgery. I currently plan to have the surgery in September unless something drastically changes to give me a different BX. But, I want a quality of life and to protect my breasts from being next in line for cancer. Progesterone might be my answer.

Best of luck to you in your research on progesterone after hysterectomy and estriol. There is some information on the internet and some independent studies.

Hope this helps.

goldenlife
Unread 07-22-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlife View Post
Wal40,
I haven't had my hysterectomy yet. I am 54, already in menopause 12 years and have a diagnosis of Complex hyperplasia with atypia (precancer).

All my research points to estrogen dominance as the cause for this condition (there is probably some genetics also).

My 2nd opinion said get the hysterectomy. My third opinion, thinks he can help me turn this around. I am resigned to getting the hysterectomy, but have to think about my breasts and cancer in the future. My hysterectomy isn't even scheduled yet (sometime in late September).

I'm learning that the safest of the 3 estrogens is estriol. I've been on estradiol as part of my HRT for several years. Estradiol is the strongest of the estrogens and helps with hot flashes, but can also have some bad consequences.

Now I am switching to estriol. I found some really good information from MD's on the internet about estriol. It might be able to be compounded with Rx. I can't get it from my ob/gyn. I'm buying it online and using an estriol oil vaginally. It is amazing for vaginal dryness and I'm hoping all the changes I am making will help with hot flashes and bone density.

My 3rd opinion doctor has raised my progesterone level considerably higher than what my HRT doctor was prescribing. Even after hysterectomy progesterone has many wonderful benefits.

I'm currently doing many aggressive things to try and change my situation, but overall, I plan to try and wean myself off the estriol oil in 6-12 months and plan to continue progesterone even after the hysterectomy.

My research has indicated that some of the benefits of progesterone include:

• Maintains the secretory endometrium (won't matter after hysterectomy)
• Protects against fibrocystic breasts
• Helps use fat for energy
• It is a natural diuretic
• Natural anti-depressant / mood enhancer
• Facilitates thyroid hormone action
• Normalises blood clotting
• Restores sex drive
• Normalises blood sugar levels
• Normalises zinc and copper levels
• Restores proper cell oxygen levels
• Prevents endometrial (uterine) cancer (I should have been using this in a higher dosage that what my current doctor had me on to be sure I had no unopposed estrogen)
• Helps prevent breast cancer
• Simulates osteoblast for bone building
• Restores normal vascular tone
• Necessary for the survival of the embryo (won't matter after hysterectomy)
• Precursor of corticosteroids and other hormones
• Modulates other hormones helping to restore balance
• Promotes sleep

I also read an article that said it helps with low basal body temperature, hot flashes and vaginal dryness. Since my 3rd opinion doctor has increased my dosage of progesterone, my foggy mind has cleared, I'm sleeping better at night and my joints don't ache.

Progesterone is the precursor for many other hormones. The Centre for Menstrual Cycle and Ovulation Research (CeMCOR) has some great articles. I think that is where I found an article about using progesterone after hysterectomy.

My plan is to go to my surgery stabilized on a higher dosage of progesterone than I was previously on and use it as a foundation on the other side.

Every person is different with the level that they would need. My 3rd opinion doctor has determined that I am a continuous low anxiety person, a people pleaser and perfectionist. Those personality types have a hard time getting environmental estrogens to process out of their bodies and so the estrogen builds up. I am hyper-sensitive (low tolerance to pain, have allergies, etc). Because that is how my body works, I am aggressively working to get estrogens away from me and a higher dose of progesterone is bringing a level of "normal" to my life.

Maybe I will get a miracle and won't need the surgery. I currently plan to have the surgery in September unless something drastically changes to give me a different BX. But, I want a quality of life and to protect my breasts from being next in line for cancer. Progesterone might be my answer.

Best of luck to you in your research on progesterone after hysterectomy and estriol. There is some information on the internet and some independent studies.

Hope this helps.

goldenlife
This member has already had her surgery. That can change things drastically. What works pre surgery may not work post surgery. It is important to keep these things in mind.

Once the uterus and ovaries are removed, the game plan can change alot.
Unread 07-30-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wal40 View Post
Hi Lisa,

Well it took a couple of days for my pharmacy to get the medicine in. My doctor told me to give it about a month. Did you read good things about Covaryx HS?
I'm sorry I did not get back sooner - yes, I read some pretty good stuff about it. I guess allot of drs prescribe in addition to the patch as it is a different kind of estrogen.. Plus, it is half strength so low and slow...

I'm am thinking that the patch 0.1 might not be enough for me??? I am waking up so hot - not really drenched but hot at night - and muscle fatigue... I know it takes time - but I might call Monday and ask about the Covaryx HS....

I would love to know how you like it... I'll let ya know what happens on this end.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register