Can't seem to look at abdomen | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can't seem to look at abdomen Can't seem to look at abdomen

Unread 12-05-2001, 08:53 AM
Can't seem to look at abdomen

Anyone else have this problem? Or is it a problem? I can't bring myself to touch or look at my scar, belly. I think I should but I get the heebies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-05-2001, 09:15 AM

I had the same problem after my surgery, and still to do some extent, even over a year later. I wish I had some great advice, but maybe someone else will come along to help us both. I can't stand the sight of my large, vertical scar, and hate looking at myself in a mirror now.
Unread 12-05-2001, 09:45 AM
me too

I get that heebie-jeebie flip flop in my stomach when I even think about looking at the scar (which is still draining in one spot). I have a horizontal scar so I have to actually lift my swelly belly to some extent to get a good look at it which I don't do often. I dress the draining spot by touch and after my shower I dry it with the hair dryer and don't have to look.
I have found the shape and size of my belly to be shocking. I guess that might sound shallow and unaccepting of the physical reality of this surgury but it is true.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-05-2001, 10:32 AM

I have to agree the scar is ugly and yuckky and terrible to look at I never looked at mine early on and I still avoid the mirror in the bathroom. I have not yet let my DH see it. I have not walked around naked since before the surgery and my nightgown comes off under the covers. I detest it.

TAH/BSO & appendix
Large fibroid & a surprise case of endo
severe anemia

8-24-01
Unread 12-05-2001, 10:33 AM
Look Pregnant w/saddlebags? Ewwwww!

I hate my new look too! I look pregnant, you know the kind that starts from the rib cage and keeps going down...I think it is becasue of the build up of gas in my bowels. Also, what is with these saddle bags on my hips??? I know I am fat but hey- these babies were never here before. Anyone else with these? Yuck.

I guess we are all in similar boats and with having to take it easy for quite some time yet, it is not like you can exercise it off at this point in time, so we will jut have to HEAL first, CRY now and WORK our fanny's off later.

Good luck and hopefully some other post sisters will post us how long it took for them.

Mugwump.
Unread 12-05-2001, 12:37 PM

I'm 2 years post and hardly notice mine, it won't be noticably very much after a while. I'm 53 and have married 35 years so
I'm not uncomfirtable with my husband seeing it. if its an issue with you, remember that you'll hardly notice it a year from now.
Unread 12-05-2001, 12:45 PM
Oh yeah - forgot to mention...

My hubby is great...

he checks out my inscision eveyday to make sure there are no changes. That sounds kindof morbid but he can get a better look at it then me holding a mirror to it and that way if there are any signs of infection at least it will be caught within 24 hours!

Thank goodnes he loves me, despite my belly! *L*

(Mind you - I don't like what I see in the mirrror, but I think that is normal)

Mugwump
Unread 12-05-2001, 02:05 PM

I can so relate and my scar (so called bikini) is from hip to hip and around 20 inches long. It looks better now than when I first came home, but I get sick every time I think about. Take heart it could be worse, not many people hare a scar as huge as mine.
Unread 12-05-2001, 02:09 PM

Hi LAlady,
I'm 4 weeks post and I check mine daily--hey it didn't look that great before. My sister is a nurse, I'm the squeamish one. At least are scars that you can cover up if you choose. DH luckily is unaffected by 8" of scar. Jan
Unread 12-05-2001, 05:20 PM

Maybe it is because I have been married for almost 30 years - I never had a problem with DH seeing my 8" bikini scar. I showed it to him right after the steri-strips came off, and he wasn't grossed out at all!!! I have no problem with him seeing me in my birthday suit.

Newer rincess:'s take hear - the scar does fade with time. My 14 months post op scar is mostly just a faint pink line with one small raised area that is fading more all the time.

Best wishes to all,

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register