Generic Estradiol Pills versus Vivelle Dot (2011) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Generic Estradiol Pills versus Vivelle Dot (2011) Generic Estradiol Pills versus Vivelle Dot (2011)

Unread 07-14-2011, 12:42 PM
Generic Estradiol Pills versus Vivelle Dot (2011)

Hi - I'm two weeks past my hyst and I have been on Vivelle Dot during this time. Yesterday I had my 2 week post-op check-up and I asked if there was a pill version to take that was generic - my insurance only covers generics, and I have to pay full price for name brand.

I was taking Vivelle Dot .1 which is $62/month. A month of estradiol pills is $7.25.

Can anyone give me the break down as to why I should stick to Vivelle? I know it's a lower dose and that means less risk for some kinds of problems, but I guess I want to know does anyone feel like the pill didn't work for them or ? I took one last night and one this morning (as directed) and feel no different from yesterday when I was on the Dot, but I know that could change.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-14-2011, 01:12 PM
Re: Generic Estradiol Pills versus Vivelle Dot

I would give it more time. You need more time for your hormones to adust. I am a little past a year from my hyst and I am still on the hormone roller coaster, good luck.
Unread 07-14-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by receptionist View Post
I would give it more time. You need more time for your hormones to adust. I am a little past a year from my hyst and I am still on the hormone roller coaster, good luck.
Thanks! I guess my point is that I don't really have time - I have to pretty much decide on the cheaper option for now, but if anyone has any compelling stories as to why I should go with the patch, then let me know. I just don't have any spare $$ right now, and still haven't even figured out how I'm going to pay for my share of the surgery (~$1,200).

Thanks for any thoughts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-14-2011, 01:47 PM

It's a pretty individual thing but if it works and is affordable, lots of ladies do fine on the generic pills. Some places even have them for $4/mo. If later the pills don't work out maybe you can ask for patch samples from your Dr, but if the pills work out, why change back. I'd try the pills and if it goes well, you're set. I don't know of any compelling reason against it. What a relief they are affordable. (They have generic patches but they sound pretty inferior).
Unread 07-14-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyown View Post
It's a pretty individual thing but if it works and is affordable, lots of ladies do fine on the generic pills. Some places even have them for $4/mo. If later the pills don't work out maybe you can ask for patch samples from your Dr, but if the pills work out, why change back. I'd try the pills and if it goes well, you're set. I don't know of any compelling reason against it. What a relief they are affordable. (They have generic patches but they sound pretty inferior).
Oh no kidding - I've heard/read some horror stories about the generic patches. I would really like to stick with (ha! no pun intended) the Vivelle Dot, but that's roughly $600/year more for me to spend.

To top it all off, right after my doc said I could get these generic pills (he bypassed the generic patch idea completely), he then prescribed Singulair for me, which is also only name-brand (no generic). It's to help with my Interstitial Cystitis. I went to see how much that was - $149 for a MONTH! Holy cow! I literally have $300/month for food, gas, medicines, and all that. No way.

RE: the "bad" about the pills - I've just heard things about estrogen and breast cancer risks so I wanted to find out if anyone had any bad results from them or if that is really a concern. Thanks for your thoughts.
Unread 07-14-2011, 02:16 PM

On a side note about your other med----some drug cos offer subsidies for low income/low insured pts for some meds. You might look online for drug co info on that med since it has no generic. Just a thought, if you're interested. Good luck.
Unread 07-14-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyown View Post
On a side note about your other med----some drug cos offer subsidies for low income/low insured pts for some meds. You might look online for drug co info on that med since it has no generic. Just a thought, if you're interested. Good luck.
Thanks for that - I actually had checked them out, but because I have prescription coverage (only generics but still coverage to them) then I don't qualify. Stupid loopholes. :S
Unread 07-15-2011, 03:01 PM

I'm about 6 months post op from my hysterectomy and I've been taking estradiol in a pill the entire time. I'm on 1mg which is apparently pretty high, but because I'm only 31 my doc said I'd need a high dose. I was doing great on the estradiol until about 3 months post op when all of the sudden I started having every menopause symptom under the sun! My doc told me to double my estradiol for a month. I felt better the instant the second pill worked into my system. I only took two pills for two weeks and then went back down to 1 and have been doing great for the past couple of months. My doc said stress plays a big part on how much estrogen your body needs. So if you have to change up your dosage at all then a pill is definitely easier to adjust and way cheaper.

Kristine
Unread 07-15-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine A View Post
I'm about 6 months post op from my hysterectomy and I've been taking estradiol in a pill the entire time. I'm on 1mg which is apparently pretty high, but because I'm only 31 my doc said I'd need a high dose. I was doing great on the estradiol until about 3 months post op when all of the sudden I started having every menopause symptom under the sun! My doc told me to double my estradiol for a month. I felt better the instant the second pill worked into my system. I only took two pills for two weeks and then went back down to 1 and have been doing great for the past couple of months. My doc said stress plays a big part on how much estrogen your body needs. So if you have to change up your dosage at all then a pill is definitely easier to adjust and way cheaper.

Kristine
My doc told me about the stress thing too, interesting, huh?

Well, by the 24 hour mark on the estradiol pills (2mg am/2mg pm) I was having MAJOR hot flashes. It had been 6 hours since my morning dose - I had not had any hot flashes since my hysterectomy only 2 weeks before so I decided to experiment and slapped a Vivelle Dot on my hip and within 20 mins felt fine. I think I'm going to keep my options open but to have had such good luck right off the bat with Vivelle makes me think maybe I should stick with it.

I can't believe what I was feeling like for just 24 hours and I was on double the dose you are. I know, everyone's different. My doc did give me a few more "samples" for free so that helps. I guess I may just go for it and splurge on these because they are what are doing the trick.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Unread 07-25-2011, 04:20 PM

I'm 3 months post op and my doctor switched me to the estrodial pill because the Vivelle dot would not stick to my skin for some reason. I've been taking the pill for 2 months and feel the same as I did with the patch when they would stick. And yes, they're generic and MUCH cheaper! Good luck!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register