Generic Estradiol Pills versus Vivelle Dot (2011) - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Generic Estradiol Pills versus Vivelle Dot (2011) Generic Estradiol Pills versus Vivelle Dot (2011)

Unread 07-25-2011, 05:16 PM
Re: Generic Estradiol Pills versus Vivelle Dot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elated82 View Post
I'm 3 months post op and my doctor switched me to the estrodial pill because the Vivelle dot would not stick to my skin for some reason. I've been taking the pill for 2 months and feel the same as I did with the patch when they would stick. And yes, they're generic and MUCH cheaper! Good luck!!!
That's a good testimonial! I'm still having trouble getting that patch to stick to me, as well. I didn't like the way I felt when I took the pills though, I felt like I had a horrible hot flash which I haven't had any of on the patch, but maybe when things smooth out a little more I'll give it another shot.

Extra bonus, the generic just got listed as $3.99/30 pills at my favorite pharmacy. I'm keeping it in the back of my mind
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-25-2011, 05:32 PM

Stephanie,
Do keep in mind that you are still early post op. It can take the body some time to recover from surgery and adjust to life without the ovaries.
Unread 07-25-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim M View Post
Stephanie,
Do keep in mind that you are still early post op. It can take the body some time to recover from surgery and adjust to life without the ovaries.
Also excellent advice. Thank you Kim, I am impatient and want to get moving but truthfully, I'm not ready. I'm also dealing with interstitial cystitis which is complicating my recovery because I still hurt all the time. It'll get better. I just am so glad to not be going through obvious menopause at the same time!

Thanks for your thoughts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2017, 03:00 PM
Generic Estradiol Pills versus Vivelle Dot (2011)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC4life View Post
My doc told me about the stress thing too, interesting, huh?

Well, by the 24 hour mark on the estradiol pills (2mg am/2mg pm) I was having MAJOR hot flashes. It had been 6 hours since my morning dose - I had not had any hot flashes since my hysterectomy only 2 weeks before so I decided to experiment and slapped a Vivelle Dot on my hip and within 20 mins felt fine. I think I'm going to keep my options open but to have had such good luck right off the bat with Vivelle makes me think maybe I should stick with it.

I can't believe what I was feeling like for just 24 hours and I was on double the dose you are. I know, everyone's different. My doc did give me a few more "samples" for free so that helps. I guess I may just go for it and splurge on these because they are what are doing the trick.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Hello Stephanie,
I just came across your post and I am wondering if you stayed with the Vivelle dot and if it's still working for you.

I am switching from using the estradiol 1 mg pills for over 17 years, too estradiol patch 0.05 (which made me feel terrible), and now the vivelle patch 0.075. I'm hoping it will take the clouds away!
Unread 04-21-2017, 03:12 PM

My Dr put me on Estradiol patches (0.05 mg/day). I Believe they're the generic (Mylan), and at 4 weeks post op, they're working fine and may even be too high a dose (looks like I may have to start shaving my legs again). Hysterectomy (ovaries too) wks 4 weeks ago today. I'm 59 and still in perimenopause and cycling regularly before the operation.

Also, my Dr told me that yes estrogen slightly increases the risk of breast cancer, buttttt those receiving HRT who develop breast cancer still live slightly longer than those not taking HRT who don't get breast cancer. So it's a matter of comfort and 'slightly'. I suggest doing your own research and make that decision based on recent studies, not older studies. I said yes to HRT because I only plan to stay on it for a year until I'm all healed up. Just didn't want to deal with healing and menopause at the same time.
Unread 04-21-2017, 04:09 PM
Re: Generic Estradiol Pills versus Vivelle Dot (2011)

Interesting, my Dr told me estrogen alone wouldn't increase breast cancer risk but estrogen plus progestins would. I was worried about that. I'm not looking forward to going off HRT. My quality of life is much better on it. .
Unread 04-21-2017, 05:59 PM

I ended up going with the generic estradiol pills. I have been on them most of the 5.5+ years since my surgery.

I'm a redhead and the patches just didn't deliver - my doctor said something about skin absorption isn't always equal with redheads.

Also - the pills are cheap and it depends on what generic brand. I take 2mg 2x day and they have to be by Wyeth or .... (can't remember the other brand) but not Mylan. Crazy, but when I was on Mylan (football shaped) I started having all the symptoms of low estrogen. The round ones though are fine.

That's my update. I'm 45 and I asked my doctor when I'd have to go off them and he said as long as I was feeling good, I could stay on them indefinitely.
Unread 04-25-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
I ended up going with the generic estradiol pills. I have been on them most of the 5.5+ years since my surgery.

I'm a redhead and the patches just didn't deliver - my doctor said something about skin absorption isn't always equal with redheads.

Also - the pills are cheap and it depends on what generic brand. I take 2mg 2x day and they have to be by Wyeth or .... (can't remember the other brand) but not Mylan. Crazy, but when I was on Mylan (football shaped) I started having all the symptoms of low estrogen. The round ones though are fine.

That's my update. I'm 45 and I asked my doctor when I'd have to go off them and he said as long as I was feeling good, I could stay on them indefinitely.
IC4life,
Thank you! I didn't know that about redheads. I have red in my hair. I wonder if I'm absorbing the estrogen in my patch. I was taking the football shaped estradiol too when everything started going wrong with me. I think it started when I turned 46, bummer! If the Vivelle patch doesn't work I may change to a different estradiol pill. Thank you for your insight!
Unread 04-25-2017, 05:50 PM

I was so grateful when my doctor figured out the redhead skin thing (I'm sure it applies to others as well but redheads got a lot going on) and then told me my generic Estrace wasn't working because it was the football-shaped one. The other brand that works well is Watson. I just got it refilled today and the other round one is Mylan. I think the football-shaped ones are Wyeth? (This is a correction from my entry above - I mixed up the names. They are correct in this post.) I still have a bunch from when I got it from my drugstore pharmacy - even in an emergency it just doesn't deliver.

When I started at the small pharmacy recommended by my doctor and told them I had to have the "round" pills, they said "Oh, you must be Dr. < > patient, right?" They get a lot of his business so they keep it in stock

I would never have figured this out on my own so I hope it helps!
Unread 04-28-2017, 09:36 PM

Quote:
I was so grateful when my doctor figured out the redhead skin thing (I'm sure it applies to others as well but redheads got a lot going on) and then told me my generic Estrace wasn't working because it was the football-shaped one. The other brand that works well is Watson. I just got it refilled today and the other round one is Mylan. I think the football-shaped ones are Wyeth? (This is a correction from my entry above - I mixed up the names. They are correct in this post.) I still have a bunch from when I got it from my drugstore pharmacy - even in an emergency it just doesn't deliver.

When I started at the small pharmacy recommended by my doctor and told them I had to have the "round" pills, they said "Oh, you must be Dr. < > patient, right?" They get a lot of his business so they keep it in stock

I would never have figured this out on my own so I hope it helps!
Thank you!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register