Lost Pathology | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Lost Pathology Lost Pathology

Unread 12-05-2001, 12:04 PM
Lost Pathology

Hello
I had my surgery. My gyn/oncologist sent my tissues and path slides from surgery off for second opinion. I had one really "bad spot" as she termed it. My biopsies of other organs and other tumors looked okay. She said that the secondary opinion would verify that I didn't need chemo.

Okay I've been asking for my results. They were supposed to take 3 weeks. I called yesterday. I'm 5 weeks post. The nurse said they should have been back, but weren't. She would find out the scoop.

Got a call this morning. The pathology tissue and slides were never sent out. The doctor's orders were not followed. They are sending out the slides today.

I am heartbroken and so SO WORRIED. This is the cancer lab for crying out loud! No mistakes are supposed to happen. I can hardly function. How can people just ignore the orders. I am having a tough time keeping my chin up. I have to stay strong for my dh and kids. But I don't know if I can.

RobinS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-05-2001, 01:05 PM
Lost Pathology

Hi Robin -

I could go down there and kick some butt for you if you'd like

I'm sorry this happened, makes me a little nervous about going to the same office...

I'm local here - I don't know if there's anything I can do, but I'd be happy to do anything to help... You're welcome to call me just to talk if you'd like. I'll drop you an email with my phone number.
Unread 12-05-2001, 01:44 PM
Lost Pathology

Oh Robin, this is so bad not what you need to happen when waiting for such important results. I would complain loudly though !!! Ask to see the Dr and demand to know why this has happened and see if the Dr can give the lab. a call a rush this through,

Have a big cry you are allowed to . We will help you stay strong love always xx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-05-2001, 02:22 PM
Lost Pathology

Hi Robin,
Oh I am so sorry this has happened. Hopefully they will put a rush on these and get them back to your gyn ASAP. Keep at her office daily if need be so they don't forget to keep watching for them. This is very frustrating I am sure. Please keep us posted!
Keeping you in my prayers!
Hugs
Maria
Unread 12-05-2001, 03:58 PM
This reminds me of what happened to me.

My doc was withholding estrogen until the path reports came back in "3-5 days" and it was 5 weeks. The pathologist was not sure, so sent the samples to another, who sent them to another, who sent them to another hospital system, and in the end 9 of them had a meeting (try to schedule that many docs at the same time!) and finally agreed that it would be safe to allow me estrogen and go without chemo. Let me tell you, I understand what you are going through. Sit back, relax, and know you can do nothing about it, and I will add you to my ever growing prayer list!
Unread 12-05-2001, 06:24 PM
Long day

Hello - Thank you all for your understanding. Paulani I want you to know it wasn't the dr's fault. She ordered the paths be sent off. When I saw her at my 3 week check she said that they should be back in a few days, and that unless there were changes in the initial diagnosis, she would talk about the results at my next follow up. It was that the orders were not followed at the path dept. I am very upset with that dept. but in no way at the dr. It isn't her fault. The only reason we found out today is I just needed to hear they got it all, that the biopsies were okay, and I couldn't wait another week.

A friend of mine, who is a doctor in another town, called me today. He is a psychiatrist. He gave me a "free listen" today. God is taking care of me. I am not a "go to church every Sunday" kind of person. I am a spiritual person. I know that if not for the Grace of God, things could be so different for me right now. It is a wonder that the cancer was found before it had spread, it is a wonder that I found a gyn/onco in AK, it is a wonder for my aunt (whom is having a hyster tomorrow because she saw my symptoms in her own body, and they found her tumors Monday) it is a wonder that I called today and found this error. I am sad, but I have to believe that everything is going to be okay. Right??!! Thanks for taking time for me.

RobinS
Unread 12-05-2001, 07:47 PM
Lost Pathology

Oh, how long the day can seem when waiting for test results...... Prior to finding my ovarian stuff.....I had some very rare cervical cells show up in a pap. Only five hospitals in the country have really studied these cells, so my slides were sent out of state to the "expert" lab....I waited and waited and waited.

I finally got to the hysterical point and hubby got mad...He got on the phone and stayed on the phone with my doctor's office. Once he annoyed the Dr. enough, they figured they annoyed the lab enough to get hubby off their backs....and my results were read with a day or two instead of the additional two weeks we were told.

A BIG KEY HERE was my doctor getting on the phone and telling the lab they absolutely wanted the results via telephone ASAP and would then receive the written report. The written reports take a while and once I knew the path results over the phone, I could calm down.

It is not in my personality to be really obnoxious and insistent---but waiting people wait weeks for results is simply inhumane....So get your docs to crack the whip on that lab! Of course, I just have to hide from a few folks in the office when I go to visit the doc (ha ha) - but my chart has big red letters on the outside that all results are to be rushed - thanks to obnoxious and persistent hubby.

Hang in there - waiting is the pits, for sure.
Unread 12-05-2001, 08:50 PM
Hi Viking

Thanks for empathizing with me! Your story says my feelings. Did you get my email reply? I'd love to be penpals. RobinS
Unread 12-07-2001, 05:42 AM
Lost Pathology

Sending a to try to help you through the wait. I'm glad that you are comfortable with your doctor and realize that it was not her fault. Hopefully they will get those results to you quickly!! And YES...YOU'LL BE JUST FINE! Think Positively!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register