Vaginal Hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Vaginal Hysterectomy Vaginal Hysterectomy

Unread 12-06-2001, 08:17 AM
Vaginal Hysterectomy

Good Morning all:
I am new to the boards and wanted to ask a few questions if i may. My Vaginal hysterectomy is scheduled the 14 th of Dec. My doctor has informed me that we are going to try to remove the ovaries if she can get them vaginally. If they look good then she is keeing them in me. I have 3 fibroid tumors 1(4cm) 2(2/12cm)...my uterus seems to move and my last visit she said my pelvic bone has dropped.
I was wondering what if anything i need to prepare for as far as recovery and once i am home.
My husband is nervous as he has never had to care for me in this manner. He wants to make sure he does everything right.
They have also found a heart murmur which i have never had before. I had to have an EKG and a chest x-ray...still no results yet.
So if anyone of you that have gone through this can help me get ready for the surgery/recovery i would appreciate it.
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-06-2001, 09:07 AM
Vaginal Hysterectomy

Hi Carleen, Welcome to a great site to learn about your surgery. If you read the pull down menu for the ladies in waiting on the home page, it will give you lots of info on what to do to prepare. The main thing you will need to do in recovery is rest, no lifting heavy things(more than 5-10lbs) no housecleaning, vacumming is a big NO NO and no bending. Your husband is probably not as helpless as he thinks, if he is, he can learn! He can clean the house and have things ready for you. I would say right now, stock up the freezer with foods that are easy to heat up or have little prep work to do before eating. Stock up the pantry with juices and other dry goods. Have your husband go grocery shopping with you before surgery so he has an idea where things are in the store. Have your recovery area ready with books, magazines, little crafts things or movies. You won't be bed ridden, but you should keep your feet up as much as possible. The couch and recliner is where I spent my recovery. I had my surgery 7 months ago, and I had an easy surgery and recovery. I was a good princess which I attribute to my easy recovery. It's really fun being pampered! My surgery was also for multiple fibroids, and I kept my ovaries. If you have any questions, email, I will be happy to help whenever I can. Jan
Unread 12-06-2001, 10:53 AM
Vaginal Hysterectomy

Hi Carleen!

I am 5 weeks post TVH today. Each household is probably a little different in how to prepare. My DH and kids can cook, so I did nothing to stock up or prepare meals ahead of time. I did clean the house and do laundry the days just before surgery. The only 'care' my dh had to do for me was to bring me food/drinks for the first few days, as well as helping me settle into bed with my heating pad at night and steady me if I needed to take the stairs or climb into a vehicle. I did not need shower help and walking was not a problem. When the laundry piled up, my dh washed and dried, while I sat on the couch and folded. My family could have cleaned but didn't , so I tried very hard to ignore that and cleaned a few weeks later when I felt able. I still do not vacuum or mop. Common sense will get your dh in the right place for helping. He sounds like a caring person and I am sure he will do just fine! Good Luck to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-06-2001, 10:53 AM
Vaginal Hysterectomy

HI,

My hubby was also concerned about taking care of me. But he has done a wonderful job . My surgery was 10/24 and I also had a TVH. What I did before my surgery was buy lots of groceries and bought lots of easy things to prepare. Hubby hates to cook . I also really cleaned my house. I prepared a basket for myself with books, movies and crafts to have beside me when in bed. Not that you will be staying in bed, but I had my days when I just wanted to sleep. I also purchased a size larger in underwear, and some comfortable pj's. I was told by my to only do the stairs 1-2 a day after 2wks and no lifting above 5lbs. I have had a great recovery with no problems and look forward to a life without my period. Please feel free to email me.

Kelly :email: [email protected]
Unread 12-06-2001, 11:53 AM
We're twins

Hi Carleen.
We are twins, I can't help you with much but just wanted to send you a sister.
I have been baking and lots like that, Monday I plan to do my grocery shopping after my preop appt. I will be buying lots of easy to fix kinds of meals sind dh is not much of a cook. But he is very supportive and loving. I am worried about how to look after him and the children and he is telling me that I should not worry he will look after everything. So I am trying. LOL.
Take care and feel free to email me.
Unread 12-06-2001, 12:45 PM
A couple more suggestions

I had a tremendous amount of gas for two weeks after surgery and had to eat very bland foods. Not everyone gets gas, but a lot of people do. Just keep in mind, you may need different foods than the rest of the gang. My husband made pudding and jello and we had some "blander entrees" the first couple of weeks that I could more readily eat. I also froze things ahead of time for easy microwaving to feed the kids. I also purchased larger underwear, Gas-X type medication, advil and bran cereal. You may find constipation to be an issue afterwards as well, especially if you need pain medication.

During your recovery remember to stay off your feet and actually rest with your feet up as much as you can. I also found a heating pad very helpful. I had a lot of low backpain afterwards as well as some hip pain for a few days (due to the position they have you in when doing surgery).

Finally, I lined up some friends to bring "home-cooked" meals a few times. It was very helpful and relieved some of the burden on my husband. I also taught my kids to do some of the chores I could not do -- my 6 year old learned to do laundry and my 9 year old daughter did help a lot with food preparation.

The only other thing that bothered me a bit after surgery was my bladder. It is very common to either get a uti or to have bladder spasms. I swore I had a bladder infection, but it turned out just to be spasms. I went to the doctor to get it checked and she reassured me it was common.

The waiting is truly the most difficult part of it. Try to get a lot done and keep yourself busy. I did all the Christmas preparations before my surgery and we had just moved into a new house, so I really had a lot on my plate.

I am a year post op and doing great. The surgery was the right thing for me and I am very pleased with the results.

Good luck. This site was a godsend for me. Everyone is so supportive.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register