How do dr's choose which hrt? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How do dr's choose which hrt? How do dr's choose which hrt?

Unread 07-24-2011, 07:18 PM
Question - How do dr's choose which hrt? How do dr's choose which hrt?

I am scheduled for DVH next month. Still unsure if I will lose ovaries; to be decided at pre op. Along with all my female issues, I also suffer from menstrual migraines. I am trying to educate myself on hrt in case I need it. I read some older post about migraines and hrt, but am wondering about how dr's choose which hrt to use/try if you have menstrual migraines. For those of you on hrt and had migraines, have they improved with ovary removal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-25-2011, 06:11 AM
Re: How do dr's choose which hrt?

Hi!

When I had my surgery over 9 years ago, my doctor offered two immediate choices--Premarin and Estratest. I went with the Estratest. Further into recovery it was apparent that it wasn't the right hormone therapy for me because it wasn't helping my libido. So, I asked my doctor about compounded bioidentical hormones, got started on them and from there, have switched to a combination of compounded hormones and bioidentical Vivelle Dot, which is a transdermal patch made by a pharmaceutical company.

I think it's important to be educated about our choices and I freely admit that I wasn't as informed as I should have been. I commend you for seeking out information now.

I did have migraines from time to time pre-op but since my TAH/BSO, I rarely have them. If I get one, it coincides with me not changing my estrogen patch on time. The low estrogen level for me result in a migraine. That may or may not be the case for you. It would be nice if we could predict the outcome, wouldn't it? Making big decisions like this would be so much easier!

Here's a link to good hormone information: Hormone Jungle Articles. In it you'll find four articles about estrogen choices, which will give you an idea of what's available. Discuss the options with your doctor, and consider keeping your ovaries if they are healthy and there's no sound medical reason to remove them. It's possible that keeping them, in addition to using hormone therapy, could be the best choice. Discuss the pros and cons with your doctor.

I hope this helps!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register