No ovaries and not on HTR yet! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

No ovaries and not on HTR yet! No ovaries and not on HTR yet!

Unread 07-25-2011, 08:16 PM
No ovaries and not on HTR yet!

Hi Ladies,

I am about 4.5 weeks post op. I havent been put on HTR yet and was unsure if I needed to be. I have been doing great, but this last week I have been having horrible headaches and feeling extremely tense and agitated! It is the worse feeling I have ever felt in my life. I was just curious if anyone else has had those feelings or super bad headaches?

Thanks,
Amy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-27-2011, 04:48 AM
Re: No ovaries and not on HTR yet!

Amy
Sorry you are feeling not so great. I did the same thing. After a few weeks after my hyster I started feeling very similar symptoms. It is because the body is using up the stored estrogen and the removed ovaries can no longer resupplying the estrogen. There is an adjustment period after a hysterectomy and some women adjust quite easily while others (like myself) do not. I started having terrible anxiety, depression, mood swings, headaches, and insomnia. It was not a pretty sight!! Any way my Dr and I decided to start HRT for a better quality of life. Taking HRT is not always easy either but for me it made me feel more like my old self.

Hope you feel better soon!!
Unread 07-27-2011, 09:26 AM

Definitely feeling the effects here...my doctor prefers to wait until the follow up appointment to start anything as to give the body time to "bottom out" so to say. If things get really bad I can call and he'll start them earlier. Did you discuss it with him prior to surgery? I knew from the beginning I would do HRT after surgery due to age and particular risk factors that estrogen has shown to help with. It's definitely something I'd talk with your doctor about though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-31-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aotis View Post
Hi Ladies,

I am about 4.5 weeks post op. I havent been put on HTR yet and was unsure if I needed to be. I have been doing great, but this last week I have been having horrible headaches and feeling extremely tense and agitated! It is the worse feeling I have ever felt in my life. I was just curious if anyone else has had those feelings or super bad headaches?

Thanks,
Amy
Hi Amy,
I'm so sorry to hear that you're feeling so bad. It definitely sounds like the symptoms of low estrogen. I would suggest you call your doctor's office and see if they will get you started on something to help alleviate your symptoms. Most doctors have free samples that they will give you.
I don't understand why after a BSO some doctors want women to start experiencing symptoms of estrogen deprivation before they will start them on hrt. I am so thankful that my doctor started me on the Vivelle dot on the day of my surgery. She told me during the pre-op appt. "you're going to need it!"
Good luck and keep us posted on how you're doing.
Unread 07-31-2011, 06:00 PM

Hey Ladies,

Not sure either way my doc wanted to wait till I felt CRAZY! It was and is a scary feeling. The doc put me on a very low Estrogen pill and gave me some anxiety pills and aslo some meds for tension headaches! I seem to be feeling better in the sense of not feeling like I was going to rip someones head off! But still feel a little agitated and tense. Headache is just constant! Thank you all again for your support and thoughts! I don't know what I would do without you all!
Unread 07-31-2011, 08:54 PM

So ladies...little did I know when I commented on this thread a few days ago, that I would hit rock bottom just a few days later! Well, it isn't confirmed yet (hopefully tomorrow) but I'm fairly certain it is low estrogen. Out of the 16 symptoms listed on this website I have 10 and well, I'm pretty sure if I was having sex I'd be able to add a few more! I ended up in the ER Friday with shortness of breath, luckily the CT scan came back negative for any blood clots, but of course no one thinks of this as a symptom of low e. It didn't even dawn on me until I was back home and remembered reading it here. I'll definitely be calling my doctor first thing in the morning to let them know there is no way I can wait another week. This weekend has definitely been the worst couple of days since I had surgery.
Unread 07-31-2011, 09:28 PM

Gacki,
That sounds awful. I hope your doctor will help you out tomorrow. Let us know how you're doing.
Unread 07-31-2011, 10:20 PM

Gacki, that is EXACTLY what happened to me! I ended up in the hospital last week due to feeling like I was going to rip someones face off! I was so super tense and agitated! I didn't feel like myself at all!!!! I def. hit rock bottom! The docs at the ER did blood work and came back that I had higher chances of blood clots and did a CT too. Everything came back good ( side not though they found a mass on my liver, thinks its just a liver hemangioma??!!) This has made me feel like I have hysterectomy remorse?? Guess its too late now huh? I hate that you are going through this, but also thankful we can come here and talk about it together and share with another who understands! Hugs - Amy
Unread 08-01-2011, 03:34 PM

Amy - I understand how you feel completely! Thanks for the well wishes LoveBirds. I called my surgeon this morning and of course he won't be back in the office until Wednesday. I talked with my Primary Care Docs office and saw one of the NPs today - he prescribed more prednisone and a zpak for my shortness of breath, which I will not be taking! Oh, not to mention I spent an hour on hold trying to talk with someone this morning! I have two letters to write this week...one about how great my Gyn/Onc and his staff are, the other to write how sucky the staff at my PCPs office is (this isn't my first run in with them). So I get back from that appt and call my surgeon's office back and talk with his nurse - she felt the same way I did about the NPs prescription and had the PA call me. She told me to get out and walk more. She knows I'm not used to sitting around the house and said I needed to take it easy but get out and do more, even though that increases the amount of bleeding I have...guess I'd rather have a blood transfusion again as opposed to a PE! I have a spa that has a small gym by my house...figured I could go walk on the treadmill for a bit, and if anything bad happens, the hospital is on the way home! LOL But she can't do anything about the hormones only my surgeon can. That I understand, but it doesn't make me feel any better!! I did mention I was supposed to go to VA this weekend to pick up my kids - she was not happy about that at all! I said I wouldn't be driving, which I won't down, but will be on the way back, she still didn't like the idea but gave the me very hesitant "enjoy your trip" as we hung up.

Sorry for rambling! I had a terrible morning and really just wanted to cry. I do not go to the doctor because I want to...I go because something is wrong, and I truly hate to feel dismissed.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register