Anyone 1 1/2 yr. ta/bso post? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone 1 1/2 yr. ta/bso post? Anyone 1 1/2 yr. ta/bso post?

Unread 12-06-2001, 08:50 PM
Anyone 1 1/2 yr. ta/bso post?

Just checking back since I pop in only once in awhile. I just had my (every) 6 mo pap test since my hyst. I had early stage uterine cancer that was treated successfully (so far) with my tah/bso operation. So far all my pap test results have been good but now I get to "wonder" now until these results come back. My Gyn tells me NOW that I can have hrt even though my cancer was estrogen caused.... he is changing what he told me right after my surgery a year and half ago...that I should not have hrt... I have only mild hot flashes so far and nothing I can't tolerate. He claims that the studies now show that it is advisable to take it. I worry that excess estrogen can relate to breast cancer --- (I had a distant Aunt that did have bc....) I AM CONCERNED...

He also ordered base/line bone density test to be done soon.... (my first). Now I really worry when he mentions you understand that you have NO hormones in you now... and you wouldn't want to fall and break a hip etc... I am very healthy and in good spirits so hearing this makes me worry (Again) just when I thought I was doing so good... Guess I will check in the hormone jungle and look around some more... I will be glad to know the results of the bone test though for future measurements and if need be take the calcium supplements etc... I guess I am an ostrich and digging again in the SAND.... just curious if there are others out there like me...

Love to hear from anyone who has been down this road... AT ONE AND A HALF YEAR POST TAH/BSO -- UTERINE CANCER..... I will check out Road Less Traveled next!! Other than what I have mentioned I feel great... Carolee :santa:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-06-2001, 09:20 PM

Hi Carole,

Glad to hear your surgery was successful. I know what
you're going through. I'm 33, and a year ago I had a total
hyst for ovarian cancer. What a shocker that was!
I did great (mentally, anyway) through the chemo
and now that it's over, that awful "wondering" part
starts. About the hrt--
I'm taking Cenestin, the stuff from plants.
I'm very confused about the hormone thing, I just
found this site a couple of days ago and some women here
advised me to go to an endocrinologist, so I made
an appt. We'll see. Stay feeling great!!

Cathy (Chloe is my ferret)
Unread 12-07-2001, 03:35 AM

Hi Carole and Cathy,

Carole so glad to hear that you are feeling great. That waiting time between paps and results is so hard to deal with, I know.

I think once you have been diagnosed and treated for cancer it takes along time to get through all the 'what ifs' . All of us here know how you are both feeling.

HRT.... well , where do I start ?

I was so against taking any form of HRT once my ovaries were 'killed' due to pelvic radiation. I looked for all kinds of excuses not to take it. Searched through the HORMONE JUNGLE , trekked through the NO -HORMONE DESERT OASIS looking for reasons not to take it. But... after one week of depression and the night sweats, I actually begged my GP to give me something. I started on Climara and it became the sole purpose of my life to keep it on so I made an appt. to see an endocrinologist who put me on a form of oestradiol 2mg as well as vaginal pessaries and now I am fairly well back to normal :eyes:

I have been told that there could be a chance of HPV being aggravated by estrogen but my oncologist assures me that I will be ok . It is a hard decision to make whether or not to take HRT with all the links to some types of cancer. You really have to weigh up the pros and cons of it all.

Calcium rich foods can be a big help with osteoporosis but it is usually advisable to take a calcium supplement as well.
I would check out the HORMONE JUNGLE
there are alot of knowledgeable women over there who will be able to help you alot.

Please remember that we are all here to help you through whatever you may be facing . love always x x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-07-2001, 05:57 AM

Hey Carole!!
I hadn't heard that it is okay to take hrt yet, as the doc had mentioned. You might want to ask him where you could get more info on this from. I had a tvh 2 yrs ago in October. I take a multi vitamin and a Calcium supplement, as well as herbs to control my mood swings and hot flashes. It really is a serious issue with the bone density, so be glad that your doc is taking these tests to be on the safe side.
It's great to see you in here dear!!! Keep in touch!
Unread 12-07-2001, 06:14 AM

Hi Carole

It's nice to see a familiar name!
I know those tests are scary!

I have to say that going on HRT really made a difference for me in ways I didn't expect (I thought I was ok without it but thought I might as well give it a try for the heart and bone benefits). It cleared up my brain fog a lot, which was making my job harder and harder. And it stopped this urge incontinence I had developed. Both of those things were seriously affecting my life. I just feel better--once I got balanced, which is the kicker for some people. I'm taking .5 mg estrace with a dab of progesterone. The nice thing is that you get all the benefits on a very low dose, especially if you aren't battling bad hot flashes.

I researched the hrt breast cancer issue about a year ago, but I haven't seen anything lately that contradicts what I found then. The articles are in the pulldown menu at www.hormonejungle.com

Basically, the connection is total lifetime exposure to estrogen, so low dose replacement won't up your statistical risk for a long time. The increase in risk starts about 10 years after you start HRT, and it's quite small for a time after that. And exercise lowers risk (even drinking water lowers risk) far more than HRT raises it. Most breast cancer is not related to genetic risk. If this is your mother's sister and she had aggressive cancer before menopause then your risk is probably higher. If this is a great aunt and she got it after menopause then your risk is no higher than "normal."

I know it's very scary and I don't know what decision I'd make if my cancer had been estrogen dependent, but I just wanted to point out that your doctor isn't a total loon

It does help to take enough magnesium, B vitamins, and zinc when on HRT (estrogen replacement going through the liver can create deficiencies of these and a lot of the "side effects" of estrogen are deficiencies in these nutrients). And of course you should take calcium!! That's a universal recommendation now for all women in menopause. Unless you take in 1500 mg of calcium in your food, a supplement is really important.

There are a lot of ways to deal with osteoporosis now in addition to the basic calcium supplements and pumping iron and aerobics we ought to be doing anyway so make sure you talk it all over with your doctor once the tests come in. You might not need anything, but you have options!

Carole
Unread 12-07-2001, 09:52 AM
THANKYOU MY FRIENDS!!

Goodness gracious--didn't expect that quick response to my age old question that does surface at each new test following our surgeries... BIG Hugs to all of you for answering me during this busy season..... Cyd, Trish, Robyn and Cathy the newbie!! All your suggestions seem so rational to me and I will continue to read and learn and listen to my GYN...forgot to mention that he did give me some estrogen lubricant for my V. area geez I am shy at discussing this stuff....said I am a little dry there... guess I will do this 3 X a week now..... eeeeK... . Cathy I am so happy you are over the hard part and would love to hear any reports your Endocrinologist shares with you on your issues.... Knowledge is power they say.... WELCOME aboard!! I found this site at 3 mo post and have been around since and JUST love all the ladies here!!!

I just think my last appt kinda made this come back to reality even though I am doing good guess I just want to put things on the back burner. WAY BACK as in down the wall and under the oven and in the far corner down there..... he he he..... gotta run & put the excesses away from decorating.... whew.... I will be checking back my pals... Have a wonderful holiday season... :santa: I am curious too about the bone density thingy.... I am a skiier and now worry if I WILL break something...so far so good... Carole ****** Many hugs and thanks again...
Unread 12-07-2001, 09:20 PM

Hi Carole,

I just had my first bone density about a month ago, I wasn't quite sure what to expect but the test itself was quick and painless.

I'm now taking "Actonel" to offset the Osteopenia they discovered. Its possible that this came by way of the back to back chemo treatments and no estrogen. Since I hadn't had one prior this all might have already been there but who knows.

Getting a baseline reading is a great idea. The hormone issue sure IS a hard one, I know. I was told that my Dr wouldn't even consider HRT in any form until I was two years past finishing the treatments. So, I still have a ways to go but in the meantime I'm sure glad I had the test done when I did. I have a very strong BC risk in my family along with the estrogen receptive nature of the ovarian I had so I'm not so sure what I'll decide once the times comes to make this kind of decision.

I wish you the best in your search and wish you well with your test. I'll be saying an extra prayer that all turns out okay.

{{hugs}}

Vicki
Unread 12-08-2001, 09:24 PM
Hi Carole

Hello girl! I am writing to you to say hello and to tell you I have been taking Premarin 0.625mg daily since July of 2000. When the gyn-oncologist told me that I didn't have ovarian cancer, he said I could now take HRT. He prescribed the Premarin and I have had no problems with it. I also had early stage uterine cancer, but the hysterectomy "cured" it according to the gyn-oncologist. It took away my feelings of "no air circulating around me" among other things. It started to work almost immediately. I refuse to give it up--at least right now. My breast surgeon (did a biopsy last November 2000) told me, "Do you know what those are made from?" I said, "Yes, I do." I really don't want the symptoms I had last year and finally feel that my personal "thermostat" has returned to a normal state. I haven't had a bone density test yet. I assume it will be within the next few months. So far, my paps (vaginal wall) have been normal.
Unread 12-09-2001, 03:22 PM

HI CAROLE,
I DON'T WANT ANY KIND OF HRT, SO, I AM TRYING REMIFEMIN (THINK THAT'S THE WAY YOU SPELL IT ) IT HAS NO ESTROGEN. EXACTLY WHAT I WANT. I DON'T KNOW HOW IT WORKS YET, I'VE ONLY BEEN TAKING IT 4 DAYS. THE ENCLOSURE SAYS TO GIVE IT 4 WEEKS. O.K. WE'LL SEE. HOPE YOU AND YOUR DR. CAN COME TO SOME KIND OF DECISION.

LOTS OF LUCK
Unread 12-13-2001, 04:30 PM

Hello all,
I am a little over two years post-op and have not taken any HRT so far. I had a bone test in the summer and I am taking fosomax for bone loss. When I saw my gyn-onc in Aug she said it was ok with her if I took HRT, but I would like to wait til 3 years post. I too find it very confusing. She had told me back at the time of my surgery (endo ca. stage I grade II ) that they were doing a study on HRT and cancer, it would be nice to see what they find out. As far as hot flashes and the rest I haven't really had any problems, just occasional sleep problems.
I know what you mean about the wondering, I still get anxious for my pap results. Guess that stays with you. Anyway good luck to all of you!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register