Must haves | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 07-27-2011, 10:26 PM
Must haves

Are there any "MUST HAVES" that I have to purchase from the Hystersister Store or from anywhere. I have 5 days before my surgery and I am trying to be as prepared as possible. Just looking for any suggestions that will make my recovery a breeze (if thats possible)!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-27-2011, 10:33 PM
Re: Must haves

Good question!
Unread 07-28-2011, 12:25 AM

The 2 things I have found most "needed" for me during my recovery are my body pillow and a plastic cup with a lid and a straw. The pillow I purchased a couple weeks before surgery, but the cup was given to me by the hospital. It's been a lifesaver. The straw is so long that I'd actually have to try really hard to spill this thing. I hardly have to lift it from the table to drink from it.

An ice pack came in handy. My finances are such that buying from the store here wasn't possible, unfortunately. However, my mom went through a bad bout with bursitis and tendonitis, so we have heating pads and big ice packs galore. The ice pack has worked wonders with the aches and the random hot flashes I've been getting.

Keep a box of tissues handy, in case you get the weepies. Lip balm is nice too. Almost a must-have. I feel dehydrated still, and I would be miserable without it.

Also, when/if you do your food shopping beforehand, try to have on hand quick foods (granola, cereal, yogurt, etc) that you can get to without having to have help. Not only might you rather just have a small snack, but sometimes you get hungry when your caretaker is unable to help you. It's far better than bending to get things out of the oven, like I did.

OH! Also, maybe a few pair of big underpants. The mesh ones from the hospital were nice enough, but they got itchy for me after a while. Fortunately, my old "period" underwear from before I lost weight were still hanging around in the drawer. Swelly belly sneaks up on you at times.

I feel like I'm rambling now, which can be partly blamed on my percocet. If you search this forum, and the hints sub-forum, you'll find a lot of different lists. You should be able to piece together a custom list for you. (List making kept my mind off the surgery.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-28-2011, 05:55 AM

Lady JC this list is very helpful. I too am a "list person"..... and my lists have lists...lol Thanks so much!!!! Getting ready to go out shopping.
Unread 07-28-2011, 07:42 AM

I am 5 weeks post op TAH. After the first week I had my daughter (23)take me to get "support underwear." The kind used to get rid of bulge. I found when I wore them, my "swelly belly" felt supported as I walked or climbed stairs. Make sure if you get them, they are a size to accommodate your belly snug, not so tight that they would hurt.
Unread 07-28-2011, 08:16 AM

I received a binder when I left the hospital, and that is very important to me--keeps everything from jiggling.
Unread 07-28-2011, 09:52 AM

Thing thing that was most useful to me was the basket I made up. It had (and continues to) all the little things that you really do not think of.
A pad of paper
A pen
A book
A word finder book
Hand lotion
A tool kit for fast fixes for your nails
Hand sanitizer
Tic Tacs/Lifesavers
A fly swater
A brush
Hair Ties
Deo (just in case!!!)
Travel tissues
Info from the hospital

The other things that I have found helpful were pillows!!!!!! I use them to support my back and belly when I was able to sleep on my side! I just use the throw pillows from the couch! Night gowns, granny panties, spill proof cup with a straw, ice packs, heating pad.
These have all been helpful for me! Good luck to you!
Unread 07-28-2011, 10:12 AM

What a great list of "must haves". Some things listed I had already planned on, but others, I'll make sure to have on hand.
Unread 07-28-2011, 11:19 AM

Awesome! I'll feel so much better to have a beginning list!
Unread 07-28-2011, 11:28 AM

A grabber in case you drop something light is on my list to get in the next couple days as well as a supply of gasX and stool softeners. I too got my abdominal binder with the coolpacks...excited about this! I made a couple really horrible tasting precooked meals...edible but I'm no cook. I'm going to get my lips and eyebrows waxed this weekend and I'm having a girlfriend to a double pig tail french braid so as not to worry about my hair for a good week!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register