Hot flashes, cold flashes and no sleep!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hot flashes, cold flashes and no sleep!!! Hot flashes, cold flashes and no sleep!!!

Unread 08-08-2011, 09:35 AM
Hot flashes, cold flashes and no sleep!!!

I am 51 years old.

Recently diagnosed with fibroids and Ive pretty much decided on having a hysterectomy. I had been on a hormone patch plus prometrium until May when I went off everything because of the fibroids. I am in misery.

One minute I have hot flashes , then the next I am cold. I get up almost every hour during the night...

What can I do until I have my surgery to eliviate this discomfort? They dont want the fibroids to grow any bigger before surgery is why I cant do the patch.

Also...right before I have a hot flash, I get a tension across my chest. Like a panic..Is this normal? Anyone else do this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-09-2011, 11:05 AM
Re: Hot flashes, cold flashes and no sleep!!!

Check with your doctor if you can use any of the over the counter supplements for menopause. You can go to health food store, drug store, etc. to check on what may help you. Estroven, Remefemin, are just some of them. Most have soy or black cohosh to help with symptoms. There are some that help with sleep and hot flashes for am and pm. Everyone is different so it is a trial thing. You need to give it several weeks to see if it will take the edge off.

Hang in there
Unread 08-09-2011, 12:05 PM

I am hanging in there...Thank you!! My flashes are about every 30 minutes and the pressure up under my ribs and pressing my stomach up is terrible..Im sitting here at work and cant sit up straight very long..I have to lean back and push my stomach forward to eliviate the pressure..I am not a happy camper..It isnt pain per se but pressure..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-05-2011, 12:25 AM

I feel the exact way you do with the cold and hot flashes more hot than cold since my surgery and I'm 33 yrs of age. I don't get up thru the night but I do awake up early.

I have also been bleeding very lightly since the surgery and I want to know how much longer is this going to be happen.

Need some help and releif
Unread 09-06-2011, 05:37 PM

I am 36 yrs old and had to have a total hysterectomy on May 4 of this year. It started with heavy bleeding and turned out to have stage 1 uterine cancer.
After having the hysterectomy, the gas pains were the worst thing. That lasted for 3 weeks. I heard some people have it for months, yikes!
Then the hot flashes...Yuk! The doctor gave me some ideas for relief. Before you take any herbal menopause pills or supplements..be sure to check the drug interaction information.
I found the "yam wild" has no drug interactions and works very well for me. I have noticed a huge difference, hardly ever get hot flashes. You can get it any health food store. Check it out!!
Unread 09-06-2011, 05:46 PM

I take no HRTs...I am taking Black Cohosh and I find if I cannot sleep I will take a melatonin to help me relax. This has really helped me. From what I understand, natural supplements are not quick remedies...they take time to get into the body to work. Also, with my endo pain I had a lot of problems w/my stomach where I used to feel bloated all of the time (like I just ate a huge meal) and it would cause pain in my back too. I tried to say away from carbonated drinks and I wore loose fitting clothing...still do for the swelly belly!

You might also want to try using ice packs. I have even taken them to work. I use them in my lunch bag, and they are there if I need to get cool...I don't care who sees me, i want comfort!

Best wishes to all my sisters...it is NO fun to have the hot flashes OR the lack of sleep!
Unread 09-13-2011, 03:56 PM

Hi, Im new to the forum, and have started in the last4 weeks getting hot flashes , dont bother me during the day a=but at night a real nuisence,,, Have been on Herbal remidies 2 weeks now,, so heres hoping they kick in shortly, Black Cohosh, Milk thistle are a couple of ingredients in it. Have not been to my doctor yet and let her no but thats the next step
Unread 09-14-2011, 08:19 AM

Hi,
My doctor was telling me about a couple of different low dose anti-depressants that have had good success with hot flashes (effixor and ????). It might take the edge off the anxiety also.

I'm off my estrogen now (having surgery in 2 weeks - precancer condition caused by estrogen dominance).

I also have hot flashes and are exploring options. None of the herbal remedies worked for me in the past and that was why I was using estrogen, but I was also on progesterone (I guess the dosage wasn't high enough).

I've had a couple of other suggestions from the forum for hot flashes, but don't know if they will work (Vitamin e and evening primrose oil). Make sure the vitamin e is not the synthetic (read the ingredients- it shouldn't have an "L" after the d).

Good luck finding your solution,
goldenlife
Unread 08-30-2012, 07:30 PM
Wink - Hot flashes, cold flashes and no sleep!!! Re: Hot flashes, cold flashes and no sleep!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ok its me View Post
I am 51 years old.

Recently diagnosed with fibroids and Ive pretty much decided on having a hysterectomy. I had been on a hormone patch plus prometrium until May when I went off everything because of the fibroids. I am in misery.

One minute I have hot flashes , then the next I am cold. I get up almost every hour during the night...

What can I do until I have my surgery to eliviate this discomfort? They dont want the fibroids to grow any bigger before surgery is why I cant do the patch.

Also...right before I have a hot flash, I get a tension across my chest. Like a panic..Is this normal? Anyone else do this?

I am in the same boat. Having surgery in 10 days and its been hell for 2 months without my little hormone pill which I too had to stop due to FIBROID GROWTH. It stinks big time but what does help according to Kaiser and 3 week into it the Remifemin (Black Cohast Extract 20mg (2x dail) and I also started the Primrose Oil 1.3grams 1,300 mg (1-3 xdaily) which as helped my 60%. Nothing makes it go away but this certainly makes it tolerable. Hang in sister! It does get better, its week number#4 and I feel in control and a little AMBIEN once in while doesn't hurt!
Unread 08-30-2012, 07:33 PM

Yes, I have the pressure on my ribs as well. Hopefully once this watermelon size fibroid infested Uterus is out I can get my synthetic estogen replacement drug and life will be fantastic again. Otherwise the natural stuff is keeping me from killing myself (joking but its was hell)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register