What is your definition of "taking it easy"? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What is your definition of "taking it easy"? What is your definition of "taking it easy"?

Unread 08-11-2011, 09:49 AM
What is your definition of "taking it easy"?

So I was wondering what everyone's definition of "taking it easy" is? My DH (who has been wonderful) seems to have a different definition than me. He went to my 3 week checkup with me on Tuesday and heard the doctor say I should increase my walking but should continue to take it easy. My DH seems to think that meant I should be up and about and going places and I took that as I should walk and then come home and rest. My doctor even pushed back my return to work from 4 weeks to 6 weeks and added limitations to my driving again. I don't mean to complain but it's kind of frustrating like I'm letting my DH down because I don't feel like doing a lot and having "fun".

It probably doesn't help that I am really emotional too and take everything the wrong way.

Thanks to all the sisters out there! I hope everyone is feeling better!!

Becky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-11-2011, 10:22 AM
Re: What is your definition of "taking it easy"?

You certainly do have the correct definition of 'taking it easy', and that is exactly what you should be doing. Listen to your body--I have learned that quite a bit over the last 5 weeks. You will be feeling better before you know it!
Unread 08-11-2011, 10:24 AM

I would tend to agree with you....walk, then go home and rest!!! You have a lot of healing inside to do. You don't want to push it too hard too fast!

Walking is great and helps the healing process, but you also don't want to overdo that.

You emotions are going to be crazy for awhile. I still take things the wrong way, but it is getting better.

Thinking of you and hoping you get the rest you need while recovering!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-11-2011, 11:11 AM

I'm 9 days post op. After surgery taking it easy is watching tv, napping and just doing daily care. If you asked me before my surgery taking it easy would be housework, cleaning, yardwork, caring for dogs/cats/horses, and cleaning barn.

It's hard to not do anything! Ultimately this is what we should be doing because after I do something (load/unload dishwasher) I'm exhausted and sore. I know it will prolong my recovery and healing time. So now it's tv, nap and that's about it.
Unread 01-13-2012, 10:40 AM

I think you are right and need to explain to your hubby the less you do now, the quicker you can recover..
I too am having a hard time laying around because I want to clean and go places..BUT today I am feeling the regret of that! In bed, not feeling great!

How long does it take to feel better emotionally? I am on the Vivelle Dot .1mg and am day 16 full hyster with ovaries removed and some days I can barely stand how bad I feel! Anyone else?
Unread 01-13-2012, 10:52 AM

my definition, "only I know" when to take it easy. Like, only I know when I've over done it, when my bodies tired, when I need to rest. No one can feel these things but me.

with that said, I'm sure your DH doesn't mean any harm. He might be his way of encouraging you.

sort of like how a coach hypes up his team.
Unread 01-13-2012, 11:10 AM

I'm six weeks post-op today, yay, celebrating that!!! I'm far from been my "normal" self but I'm better than each previous week.

I decided that taking it easy is listening to my body and paying attention to what it has to say. I decided that taking it easy is doing what is most comfortable and relaxing no matter if my own expectations of what, or how, I should be doing something are much higher (let alone my DH expectations)

One thing that helps to ease the expectations is reading other women stories and relating them to my husband. We both have learned that the recovery can be difficult and it is NOT as fast as one would hope.

I am been as patient as I can. My husband too. I am honoring this turtle in me. If the turtle has to stop, she stops. It is whatever the turtle feels like doing.

I have found ways to do my computer work reclining in bed and not at my desk (I freelance). So I call it my bed-desk office. I rather be at my real desk, but my bed-desk is much more comfortable and I can get a lot more done.

It is not easy to "take it easy" given our expectations. But accepting the slow pace and letting go of what cannot be done is part of taking it easy.

My husband is one of those who means to be encouraging to me! It's hard for husbands too, but we all learn to deal with this turtle!

Best to you and greetings from my husband to your husband!
Unread 01-13-2012, 12:09 PM

Taking it easy does mean something totally different to me since my surgery.

Now that I know the "real meaning". Its walking a little, watching tv or movies, maybe fold one load of laundry (since you are at 3 weeks), play on the internet, shower, nap, fix you something to snack on, nap, lay on the couch, nap.

Wash, rinse & repeat daily, at least until the 6-8 week mark.

Unread 01-13-2012, 01:06 PM

My husband gets bored sitting around the house with me while I recover, too. I know this from procedures that I've had before. He isn't a complainer but I can read the stir craziness all over his face. So this time I encouraged him to make plans with friends like skiing and watching the football game and whatever. Then I can lay on the couch and enjoy watching whatever dumb tv shows I want (like Jerseylicious and Millionaire Matchmaker...don't tell anyone!) I'm sure your husband has other people in his life that he can do stuff with so you can rest and relax without feeling bad about it.

Taking it easy to me means taking a walk, then taking a nap or resting on the couch with a laptop, crossword puzzles, tv or a book. Getting up to warm up something to eat and grabbing a drink, but NO cooking, cleaning, laundry, pushing a grocery cart, or any of that stuff. Especially since you aren't even cleared to go back to work yet, you certainly don't want to be running all over town either.
Unread 01-13-2012, 03:37 PM

Keltec, I agree totally with your definition of taking it easy. I did just that, and it worked well. By 6 weeks, I was ready to go back to work and gradually ease back into my normal routine.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register